Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Desolation of Smaug footage already shown in Vegas?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2013, 4:15pm

Post #1 of 25 (3002 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug footage already shown in Vegas? Can't Post

In the TORN face book page it says:

BREAKING: Reports are coming in that the first footage of Hobbit 2 was screened in Vegas yesterday. Peter Jackson made no mention of HFR or 3D. More as we get it...

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 17 2013, 4:21pm

Post #2 of 25 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Not according to reports [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/cinemaconnews.php?id=103104

Sounds like PJ just showed some of the stuff from the sneak preview.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 17 2013, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 25 (1489 views)
Shortcut
From Weta News Today! [In reply to] Can't Post

Likely spot for DOS Trailer?
August 9th..."Elysuim" Directed by Neil Blomkamp
Starring Jodie Foster & Matt Damon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBtePb-dGY&utm_source=Weta+News&utm_campaign=56bfd2f2ba-Newsletter_16_Apr&utm_medium=email

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 17 2013, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 25 (1122 views)
Shortcut
I hope so Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Elysium is my most anticipated film of the Summer, going opening day. So it would be a real treat to see a DoS trailer before hand.

Makes sense.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

utku
Rivendell

Apr 17 2013, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 25 (1071 views)
Shortcut
August is too late :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they tie it with a June release.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 17 2013, 7:09pm

Post #6 of 25 (1116 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't seem much like news... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when footage of Hobbit 2 was shown when it was still technically intended for Hobbit 1. I find it hard to get excited under the circumstances.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 17 2013, 7:33pm

Post #7 of 25 (1259 views)
Shortcut
footage [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess some of the footage had to do with Orlando Bloom and Evangeline Lilly? Or did I misread TORn's report? If that's the case I'm wondering if it was just what we saw during the sneak peek or maybe it was new stuff...

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2013, 8:17pm

Post #8 of 25 (1101 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt PJ is releasing anything to anyone until we get a trailer in cinema. Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2013, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 25 (966 views)
Shortcut
I think we will see a trailer well before then... [In reply to] Can't Post

but Elysuim look's pretty cool.

I don't think Warner Bros. wants to miss the opportunity to put the DoS trailer in front of Man of Steel (June) or Pacific Rim (July).

There will be so many eyes on those two movies, they won't want to pass up exciting people.

My 2 cents.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

cats16
Valinor

Apr 17 2013, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 25 (894 views)
Shortcut
And also [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Elysium isn't a WB backed film. They'll want to back up their own brand, for the trailer's release.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 17 2013, 10:20pm

Post #11 of 25 (836 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see it with Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from DoS, it's really the only film I'm looking forward to this year. Not that interested in anything else on offer, apart from (perhaps) Thor 2 (like the actor, and would like it even better if it featured Loki again). Smile

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 1:49am

Post #12 of 25 (778 views)
Shortcut
August 9th!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What! that's only three months away from its release! it should be out late May or early June!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 2:20am

Post #13 of 25 (690 views)
Shortcut
4, but yeah, was hoping for a teaser before Pacific Rim or Man of Steel... [In reply to] Can't Post

The TTT teaser debuted in July 2002, after all.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 2:23am

Post #14 of 25 (722 views)
Shortcut
AUJ's trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't come until the middle of September. I don't see why August 9th is a big deal.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 3:58am

Post #15 of 25 (696 views)
Shortcut
nope you're wrong. Dec 20, 2011 first trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

a year before the release of AUJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90Holdcrps

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 4:04am

Post #16 of 25 (703 views)
Shortcut
Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Not what I'm talking about. I know that came out a year before, but if we're applying the same pattern to DOS, then AUJ basically fits that in right there. AUJ in the December the year before and then the real trailer in September.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 6:47am

Post #17 of 25 (630 views)
Shortcut
I think the Dec trailer was more of an overall announcement trailer to get people excited. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the LotR trailer with the "fellowship catwalk" in the end.

nhui06
Rivendell

Apr 18 2013, 6:17pm

Post #18 of 25 (426 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

My bet is the trailer will be part of Superman. Didn't the Hobbit debut the trailer of Superman Man of Steel back in December? Return the favor? June 14 2013

cats16
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 8:18pm

Post #19 of 25 (378 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean that's not always a sure-fire thing, but based on the "few weeks" comment by PJ that would be the release I would guess it to be. (My other guess would be Star Trek into Darkness. Also returning the favor, after AUJ had a 9 minute prologue attached for it.)

So it's just wait and see, until they make an announcement.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 1:35am

Post #20 of 25 (304 views)
Shortcut
what? [In reply to] Can't Post

ok i could see what you said making sense if the very first trailer said; "The Hobbit: A New Trilogy from Peter Jackson". However, the trailer said The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Therefore it was the first official trailer for An Unexpected Journey.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 1:48am

Post #21 of 25 (304 views)
Shortcut
What I'm trying to say is... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first teaser for AUJ came out a year in advance, but all other promotion basically was nonexistent. It wasn't until September, with the advent of the second trailer, that promotion really picked up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if (since we're already into April) promotion didn't start for DOS until the latter half of the year. Therefore, an August trailer release sounds reasonable to me.

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 1:53am

Post #22 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
A trailer with Pacific Rim would have a certain symmetry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that GDT is the director. I guess you can't say it's the trailer of the film he might have directed, though, since he wasn't going to do three of them!

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 19 2013, 6:01pm

Post #23 of 25 (216 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I read this thread as Smaug shows up in Vegas...for some reason.

*Visions of Smaug rolling in poker chips at Caesar's Palace*

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 7:21pm

Post #24 of 25 (222 views)
Shortcut
According to Forbes Magazine Mr. Magnificent is the... [In reply to] Can't Post

Riches Fictional character...
Number 2 Scooge McDuck...

sooo... He probably wouldn't bet a dime in Vegas?
bomby

Lio
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 11:20pm

Post #25 of 25 (162 views)
Shortcut
Bahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug lying on a pile of poker chips instead of gold. Laugh I'd love to see that.

Ah, the fun to be had with misread subject lines!

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.