So... girls
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 6:01pm

Post #26 of 31 (525 views)
Shortcut
Girls? [In reply to] Can't Post

Excuse me for being a purest, but I'll also go with C. There are no real alternatives for adding the fairer sex into the films without outraging the purests and annoying those who love the books.
PJ overplayed the Arwen card in the Trilogy, introduced a few interesting ways to include Galadriel more and (in my opinion) underused Eowyn.

And, while we're at it, cameos by the Nine and most other characters should by avoided AT ALL COSTS. Elrond and Gandalf and Bilbo, of course, are exempt as they are integral characters in the Hobbit. But no Aragorn at 10 yrs old. No Arwen! No sneaking Galadriel in. No Gimli replacing a dwarf (although, if John Rhys-Davies could be convinced to suffer the problems of the make-up and portray Thorin . . . hmmmm). And ABSOLUTELY NO LEGOLAS IN MIRKWOOD. NO, NO, NO. Mad
Sorry. Still haven't forgiven PJ for pandering to the fair sex by over-including Legolas (Orlando? Legolas!) in the movie at the expense of Gimli. Nor have I forgiven him for the drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli in the ROTK. (Elves DO NOT win drinking contests! DWARVES win drinking contests!!!)

"I am Gandalf, and Galdalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 8:00pm

Post #27 of 31 (522 views)
Shortcut
Gimli was deemed too young to join the party. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think he only says that in UT, so the filmmakers have a ready excuse for not sticking to that party line. On the other hand, I once suggested that he could be seen waving farewell at the Green Dragon -- somebody has to take those musical instruments back to the Blue Mts.!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 8:13pm

Post #28 of 31 (506 views)
Shortcut
This will be tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

When it comes to female characters, I'm glad PJ and crew stuck as closely as they did to the books in LotR. Thank goodness Xenarwen never made it to the screen, and it's a shame the incoherent Arwen is dying scenario did -- although the material about Arwen lifted from the Appendices works beautifully. I love the flash-foward in TT where she visualizes Aragorn's death, and her vision of Eldarion in RotK.

That said, there is no Appendix material to draw on for The Hobbit. I'm sure we'll see female hobbits, elves, and women in the wide shots at The Shire, Rivendell, etc. And a line or two, say, from Mrs. Bard discussing the situation at Dale would work fine. But trying to shoehorn an actual female character into the story would be a mistake, IMHO.

This segues into the casting issue. I imagine a lot of name stars will be eager to participate, but I do NOT want to see a part created for a woman just so Madonna, for example, can have a cameo!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2007, 3:35am

Post #29 of 31 (497 views)
Shortcut
Well, if they bring in the White Council... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in either film, then Galadriel will definitely be there. And if they do that, then why not bring in a young Aragorn and Arwen for backstory, that is, if it's to be a tie-in to LOTR.

whitelady
The Shire

Dec 13 2008, 7:22pm

Post #30 of 31 (474 views)
Shortcut
I like C [In reply to] Can't Post

If Tolkien could write a good book with out girls they can make a good movie with out girls.But I think that legolas in Mirkwood would be all right I mean he is the prince of Mirkwood I wouldn't care if they don't have him but if they do it would be all right.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 13 2008, 8:24pm

Post #31 of 31 (861 views)
Shortcut
i won't link again [In reply to] Can't Post

..to the old thread where i explain why some of the dwarves might be female (I think Bifur and Nori were the most likely suspects)

but i have to say i'm hoping this 2 film project finally gives Lobelia Sackville Baggins her due.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.