Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So... girls
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:32am

Post #1 of 31 (894 views)
Shortcut
So... girls Can't Post

We all knows that PJ and co expanded a little bit on Eowyn, a bit more on Galadriel, and quite a bit on Arwen in The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit, however, seems to be lacking the fairer sex.

So do you think that...

A. The "Hobbit" film will add in a love interest (most likely to Bard)
B. The "Hobbit" film will add a family member (most likely to Thranduil's family; I'm thinking wife or daughter)
C. The "Hobbit" film will remember the fine people who created Master and Commander and will acknowledge that you don't actually need a female to make a good film.
D. A combination of A and B.

C would be ideal for me. B I would not mind too much; I could see the Queen of Mirkwood helping the dwarves escape for some unknown reason. 'A' would make me moan and groan. D would make me throw popcorn at the screen and demand a refund.

The worst case scenario I personally see is giving Thranduil a daughter, and mimicing LOTR with her love for Bard. Yuck.

So, what do you think is going to happen with The Female Factor in the first Hobbit film?

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:37am

Post #2 of 31 (204 views)
Shortcut
Cameos [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure an Arwen cameo in both movies and either an Eowyn cameo, or either Denethor or Theoden's wife included in the second. I'd rather not see any female characters included just for the sake of having a woman, but it will depend a lot on the director and writer.

That's one of the sad things about the Hobbit. Far less chance for us girls to make pretty costumes for the line parties. *sigh*

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Post #3 of 31 (202 views)
Shortcut
"Lawrence of Arabia" is another successful example of your third option. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #4 of 31 (224 views)
Shortcut
E. Three of the Dwarves will actually be females. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori, Dori, and Nori. But no one will know it - it's the beards, y'know! Wink

Actually, I'm in favor of an appearance in Rivendell by Arwen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 3:38am

Post #5 of 31 (192 views)
Shortcut
Female extra elves in Rivendell, and... [In reply to] Can't Post

expand a role for Lobelia.

For Gondor!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:40am

Post #6 of 31 (203 views)
Shortcut
Can't have Arwen in the first movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, if that one is faithful to the book, then Arwen is away in Lórien, because Aragorn, who's all of ten, won't meet her for another ten years.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Nimloth2

Dec 19 2007, 3:46am

Post #7 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
B [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking B might be the option they go for, purely because it seems movie makers think there needs to be at least one fairly prominent female part ot attract female movie goers - Master and Commander not included Wink

For Frodo.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:48am

Post #8 of 31 (199 views)
Shortcut
Sure, if you want to be accurate about the whole thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, if that one is faithful to the book, then Arwen is away in Lórien, because Aragorn, who's all of ten, won't meet her for another ten years.

Who said the director would be faithful to the book? Wink If they insist on including a woman in The Hobbit, I think that's the first thing they will look at. I'll probably scream (quietly if I'm in the theater) when they do, but who says the filmmakers will check the timeline as carefully as we do?

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:51am

Post #9 of 31 (285 views)
Shortcut
Never saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

But certainly a valuable thing to know :D

(I'll get to watching those old movies one of these days.)

My LJ
My art site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:53am

Post #10 of 31 (206 views)
Shortcut
They'll have to make Aragorn 10 years older, then [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is something that didn't occur to me earlier, but now seems quite plausible. 10 years, who cares, right? Angelic

Wow. Imagined butcherings aside, I'm ridiculously excited.

My LJ
My art site

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:53am

Post #11 of 31 (163 views)
Shortcut
Oh, do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lawrence is one of those films that particularly demands to be seen in a theater, or at least on the biggest TV you can manage. It's a much stronger film than Master and Commander, in my opinion.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:59am

Post #12 of 31 (181 views)
Shortcut
Who cares? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora, I'd guess. Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 4:08am

Post #13 of 31 (180 views)
Shortcut
I saw LoA on a panoramic screen [In reply to] Can't Post

during the early 80's sometime. I would say I loved that movie but that denotes to much of a fanish reaction. I was deeply moved and impacted by that film. To an extent that puts it in the top few films of all I've seen.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 4:14am

Post #14 of 31 (162 views)
Shortcut
I was just thinking about this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope whatever they do, they don't change the story too much. The lack of female characters didn't bother me when I first read the book, and maybe it bothers me a bit now, but not enough that I would want the script writer to start creating new characters out of whole cloth.

There are a lot of elves who aren't really clearly defined, so I'm thinking some of those could be female.

Also, toward the end of the second movie, I'd really like to see something about Frodo's childhood and how he goes to live with Bilbo, so maybe we could meet some of Frodo's female relatives. There is potential for some very touching scenes here.

Adding anything else would seem out of place, I think.

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 4:22am

Post #15 of 31 (211 views)
Shortcut
How about fully-grown Arwen playing with 9-year-old Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or some bearded female dwarves? Or some drunk elven maidens? And don't forget the spiders! Smile

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 4:25am

Post #16 of 31 (146 views)
Shortcut
Kinda spoils his later "Tinúviel!" moment, no? // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 4:25am

Post #17 of 31 (178 views)
Shortcut
Would we see Frodo's parents drown? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 4:40am

Post #18 of 31 (148 views)
Shortcut
I'm certainly not suggesting anything graphic [In reply to] Can't Post

because then I couldn't watch it myself! But maybe we'd see a scene of Frodo with his parents (just seeing Primula smile tenderly at a very young Frodo would probably make me cry), and then later maybe we'd hear another character saying that he's been orphaned, and we'd see him with the Brandybucks or some other relatives, and then see Bilbo offering to take him in.

Or come to think of it, they could use that scene from the beginning of FOTR where Sam is chatting with the other hobbits and some of them are saying mean things about the Bucklanders and Bagginses, and talking about how Frodo's parents drownded, and while they're talking we could see the scenes in flashbacks.

That's how I picture it in my head, anyway. I just think it would be a nice transition to the LOTR films. Somewhere out there, there's an adorable little boy with Elijah-blue eyes, whose parents want him to be an actor . . .

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 4:42am

Post #19 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I think you should start working on that script. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like a great comedy. I'd go see it. :-)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 5:34am

Post #20 of 31 (133 views)
Shortcut
I would hope for C. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I don't want the story messed with too much. Trying to shoehorn women in where there isn't a reason to would just emphasize their general absence, I think. I don't hate movies without women, but I do hate movies with useless women!

Besides, I have yet to hear any women complaining about the men of LOTR. Of course, in this case, most of the "men" will be dwarves and Gandalf, and that's a lot of facial hair. But we'll have bard, and Elves, and Bard, and Beorn. And Bard. WinkAngelic

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 6:01am

Post #21 of 31 (116 views)
Shortcut
I second that suggestion! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Letters from the Goddess
Firithyleleni
The Last Song of Leleni Mihaiën

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 6:09am

Post #22 of 31 (131 views)
Shortcut
Agree on both counts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kidding! (about the dwarves) (although that's not a bad idea, really).

Where's Frodo?

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 1:50pm

Post #23 of 31 (107 views)
Shortcut
I'll hope for C. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could imagine having Galadriel in a White Council scene. If they go any further with it, though, the obviousness of trying to include women would jar me out of the film.

It's the same kind of thing I'd feel if they made a point of including cameos with Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, etc. I would be thinking sarcastically, "Gee, don't they think they're clever?"

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 3:21pm

Post #24 of 31 (90 views)
Shortcut
I quite agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already nervous about them trying to cram too much non-Hobbit stuff from LOTR into the story.

I really don't want to see any non-Hobbit stuff-from-nowhere-in-any-of-the-books.

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

Elven
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 3:29pm

Post #25 of 31 (115 views)
Shortcut
Girls in the film? [In reply to] Can't Post

The first option has me gagging ... please no romantic love interest for the Hobbit ... ! There plenty of room in the 'other' film for beautiful entanglements Wink

Elven x

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.