Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ for director petition

ARKITOOTHUS

Dec 19 2007, 3:22am

Post #1 of 14 (1157 views)
Shortcut
PJ for director petition Can't Post

Hopefully i haven't double posted, but who's with me? We NEED PJ to direct this movie. In the article it stated that the studios would be willing to wait for PJ's schedule to clear up. I know that I am willing to wait to ensure that the Hobbit and it's sequel are made right. I can just see some idiot come in and have the trolls and dragon talk the way they do in the book. How much buzz kill would that be? ANYONE WHO WANTS PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT, SIGN HERE!!!!!!!

Nomad
Forum Admin

Dec 19 2007, 3:41am

Post #2 of 14 (996 views)
Shortcut
'scuse me... lemme see if I heard you right. [In reply to] Can't Post

A director who makes a Hobbit movie that is faithful to Tolkien's text... is an... idiot?

I'm going to have to disagree.

Bruce Campbell's Chin
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 4:10am

Post #3 of 14 (952 views)
Shortcut
I want talking Dragons and Trolls, be true to the book man! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want talking Dragons and Trolls. If you watch the EE of FOTR you can see the trolls were turned to stone in the midst of having an argument. Let's be true to the books have the intelligent beings (Dragons) and semi-intelligent ones (Bilbo's Trolls) able to speak. Be true to the book.

In Reply To
Hopefully i haven't double posted, but who's with me? We NEED PJ to direct this movie. In the article it stated that the studios would be willing to wait for PJ's schedule to clear up. I know that I am willing to wait to ensure that the Hobbit and it's sequel are made right. I can just see some idiot come in and have the trolls and dragon talk the way they do in the book. How much buzz kill would that be? ANYONE WHO WANTS PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT, SIGN HERE!!!!!!!

The only thing that beats the Army of the Dead is a department store clerk with a chainsaw hand and a double-barreled boomstick!

(This post was edited by Bruce Campbell's Chin on Dec 19 2007, 4:12am)

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 4:23am

Post #4 of 14 (949 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to submit it to PJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not directing seems to be his idea.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 5:38am

Post #5 of 14 (942 views)
Shortcut
Hey Nomad! [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time no see! How have you been?

Where's Frodo?

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 7:03am

Post #6 of 14 (934 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe that for a second. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me get this straight, Curious.

Here is the guy with Bag End in his own backyard.
Who sued New Line to get the props and costumes that New Line was going to get rid of.
Who went straight to US, *BEFORE* New Line had a chance to announce that he was not directing.
Who did not tell New Line that he wanted to hand over the franchise 6 months ago and more, when he committed to Lovely Bones.
Who would be happy to see an American like Sam Raimi directing HIS films, in New Zealand, instead of him.
Who is even more excited about directing Tintin than The Hobbit; THIS is what he's spent the past year battling New Line over.
Who knows that 50 yrs from now, no matter how good a film with another directer is, he knows that most of the fans will be saying, "we know how good it really COULD have been."

DO you buy all this "Irvin Kershner" crap?

****NO.

I hate to say this, but for me the issue is not so much Peter, as it is Fran and Philippa. Four years on, it is becoming clear that in many aspects Peter is replaceable, but Fran and Philippa are NOT. It is THEY who quietly made the trilogy what it was. They not only brought the delcate feninine sensibilty that balanced out Peter's robust handling of the action in the trilogy, they played the same role as Howard Ashman did at Disney in the Second Golden Age of Disney Animation, from 1989-to 1996. Not Sam Raimi nor any other diorector would bring two women on board to balance out his vision,and do this. It is this that made the LOTR saga so unique.

Who will write a script better than Fran and Philippa's? Specifically,who could POSSIBLY write the gorgeous, lyrical poetry and team up with David Salo, incorporating his translations into Howard Shore's work? (We've all had a chance to read Philippa's lyrics from Howard Shore's score, and know just how invaluable the contribution was.) We need the electricity between husband and wife team Fran and Peter, and we see from the Star Wars Saga what a lack of female prescence will do to suck the life out of a story.

I am an animation buff. I remember that magical period from 1989--1994, or so, when the new Disney classics,"The Little Mermaid:, "Beauty And The Beast," "Aladdin" and "The Lion King" came to theaters. Al of them had the stamp of Broadway meastro Howard Ashman on them. Alan Menken may have done the orchestrations on the scores, but he was the Popster. Ashman, on the other hand, was the Director; the man who wrote the scriopts and worked out the story, he did the majority of the work incorporating the songs into the Disney films. He understood stroytelling,. Those films are his films; he wrote the script; he was all over them the way Fran and Philippa were. And after he died, Disney's work declined and has not come up to par since. Compare "Beauty And The Beast" to "Mulan." 15 yrs on, we see how Disney's animation unit died with Ashman, and Menken was unable to replace him.

15 yrs on, we see that with Disney animation, one man really did make a difference,. I sat in a theater watching "Enchanted" and as good as the songs were, I said to myself, "Oh, how Howard Ashman would have had SO MUCH FUN with "the Happy Working Song", etc. Enchanted directed by Howard Ashman, getting back to his live-action Broadway roots. As it is, the film is very good, but not brilliant. Ashman would have made it Best Pciture worthy. As much as I love Alan Menken, I have to admit it's a Mozart-Salieri thing: in spite of all, you can see who's better.

That's how it is with Fran and Philippa.

But you can't have Fran and Philippa without PJ. It's impossible.

Second: you must all remember this: without PJ's clout, New Line can play like Harvey Scissorhands and mess around with the films any way they want. If we don't speak up now, watch when they do all the things that must NOT be done with the films.

Like cast big-name stars.
Like meddle in the editng like they did the Golden Compass.
Like hold test-screenings and hack the film to death in the editing room based on poll scores.
Jackson (or more specifically the fans standing behind him) are the only ones with the power to keep the films pure.

Therefore, I am going to have to add my name to the list. And I will stand by my boycott of New Line (I would have gone to see The Golden Compass if NL hadn't done this to PJ a yr ago) and I may now have to add MGM as well.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 19 2007, 7:07am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 10:46am

Post #7 of 14 (932 views)
Shortcut
Hey Nomad! I saw you [In reply to] Can't Post

on my way to DragonCon!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

yeomanrycavalry

Dec 19 2007, 12:51pm

Post #8 of 14 (890 views)
Shortcut
They will be there [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no way that Fran and Philippa would not be involved intensely. I know that PJ would not let this turn out to be a POS. There is way too much respect for Tolkien and his family and the fans to make a mess of it.

"Life... The Long Defeat"

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:56pm

Post #9 of 14 (891 views)
Shortcut
I'm not Curious [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'm curious to see what will happen, but I'm not THE Curious. Sunflower, try threaded mode so that your reply actually goes under the post of the person that you're replying to. You have legitimate concerns and make some good points, but they're getting lost.

Where's Frodo?

Nemote

Dec 19 2007, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 14 (895 views)
Shortcut
Re: petition [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

I agree on a petition to get the best result for these two movies (by having PJ directing them). If the studios are willing to postpone, why not wait ? Quality takes time. :)

The thing with the dragons: I don't agree....and I don't think that this is our major problem concerning a new director.

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 5:23pm

Post #11 of 14 (900 views)
Shortcut
So *that's* what's happening! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to figure that out. Sunflower, I agree that you have legitimate concerns, and I, too, don't want them to get lost. I recommend Torn 201.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 6:26pm

Post #12 of 14 (869 views)
Shortcut
PJ as Director petition [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I also believe Fran and Philippa will be writing the script. I believe it would take Sauron himself to keep them away.

I am wondering how much interest PJ has in directing the films. After the success of the Trilogy, a normal person might see directing the Hobbit as a sure road to criticism and perceived failure to live up to the Trilogy. (doesn't sound like PJ)
I believe he may be viewing the project objectively and he may have realized something that others have forgotten. The Hobbit is (technically) a children's book with a lighter character. Filming of the Hobbit shouldn't be approached in the same manner as the Trilogy was. Otherwise, you take the chance of changing the tone of the Hobbit.
Now, I see Sam Raimi as an odd choice for Director. He is best known for movies of a dark character (the Evil Dead, The Quick and the Dead, the Spiderman movies) which do not match my vision of the Hobbit. I do not see Raimi as a good choice for director. Could be wrong, though . . .

I guess we will have to await further developments. Look at the way the Golden Compass was produced, with the director changing multiple times prior to completion.
I hope they make the right decisions . . .

"I am Gandalf, and Galdalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 7:36pm

Post #13 of 14 (864 views)
Shortcut
I like "Mulan". // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

ARKITOOTHUS

Dec 19 2007, 10:22pm

Post #14 of 14 (911 views)
Shortcut
Yes i am [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I am calling someone who would have the trolls and dragon speak an idiot. Tokien himself said that after he wrote the Lord of the Rings he thought that the way he wrote The Hobbit was troublesome. Following PJ's Lord of the Rings trilogy it would not make sense for any trolls to talk. None of the did in the trilogy, they simply screamed. It wouldn't make sense to have some trolls talk and others not, what, did some trolls get an education or something while others did not? It's simply not consistent with the FILM version of Middle Earth. Also, Bruce Campbell's Chin stated that the trolls in the EE of FOTR were in the midst of an arguement. With all do respect, how would you know? Perhaps they were just screaming at one another. In addition, i think that having Smaug talk would make him significantly less scary.

(This post was edited by ARKITOOTHUS on Dec 19 2007, 10:25pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.