Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which is more important: Tolkien's "Children of Húrin" book, or Jackson's "Hobbit" films?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which is more important: Tolkien's "Children of Húrin" book, or Jackson's "Hobbit" films?
"The Children of Húrin" (book)
"The Hobbit" (films)
View Results (46 votes)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 12:04am

Post #1 of 30 (796 views)
Shortcut
Which is more important: Tolkien's "Children of Húrin" book, or Jackson's "Hobbit" films? Can't Post

The past fourteen months have seen two major announcements in Tolkiena. Last fall, we learned that a new book by J.R.R. Tolkien would be published: The Children of Húrin, which appeared in April. Today, we learned that two new films adapated from J.R.R. Tolkien would be released: The Hobbit and a sequel, to appear in 2010 and 2011.

Which matters more to you? Why?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 12:20am

Post #2 of 30 (463 views)
Shortcut
What can I say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always despised the Turin story. Well, despised is probably too strong of a word, but it is not my favorite. I'm an optimist, and tragedies just make me feel absolutely terrible, and I am not a fan of that feeling. Now, if it were Beren and Luthien, it would be a different story. I was also anticipating CoH for a while, while I can honestly say that the Hobbit news came right out of the blue for me. I was not expecting results before the end of the year.

Also, I was not around to experience the beginning of the LOTR films (pre-production and whatnot), still being in elementary school back then (has it truly been nearly 9 years since 1999? Wow). I have been a member of TORn for 3 1/2 years now, and to be experiencing the beginning of the Hobbit film in some of the most important years of my life, with people that I have known online and a few I have met in RL... well, it's much more exciting.

I'm also planning on studying abroad in NZ about 3-4 years for now. The thought of the Hobbit being there, being worked on, possibly released, while I am there is very exciting to me. So, yes, in the end, the Hobbit film is probably closer, and thus more important. I prefer the Third Age over the First Age. *shrugs*

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 12:47am

Post #3 of 30 (469 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit film, because it will bring people to TOR.n. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course if Children of Hurin had really been a new story, that might have been different. Also, I will note that TOR.n didn't really know what to do with Children of Hurin, since TOR.n is first and foremost a movie site. But it's the site I'm on, and they will know what to do with The Hobbit.

Radhruin
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 12:54am

Post #4 of 30 (472 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit film I suppose. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although if The Children of Hurin had been all new Tolkien material, it would have had my vote. I knew the story of Turin, but I have no idea what The Hobbit will look like. ;)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 2:19am

Post #5 of 30 (454 views)
Shortcut
I vote both [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see an either/or situation. I love the movies for reasons different from why I love the books. Why do I have to choose one over the other?

namadriel
Lorien

Dec 19 2007, 2:34am

Post #6 of 30 (448 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit for me [In reply to] Can't Post

If my jumping around and squeeing is any indication of my excitement... :) I was pretty excited about Children of Hurin coming out. But as others pointed out, it wasn't a new story.

But The Hobbit movies! Those are something new and pretty to look at! Yay! I'm so excited!!!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 2:56am

Post #7 of 30 (487 views)
Shortcut
I agree wholeheartedly, Curious. If Children of Hurin had been a new story [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have voted differently.

Of course, the whole Turin story is too tragic for me to say I enjoyed. I even felt parts of Beren and Luthien were too over-the-top.

So, it's the movie announcement, with its excitement, that I voted for.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:01am

Post #8 of 30 (443 views)
Shortcut
You certainly don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I don't know enough about setting up polls here to know whether you have the option of voting for both, but I cannot, of course, force you to choose between them.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 4:31am

Post #9 of 30 (442 views)
Shortcut
Not a simple question to answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both important for different reasons. But in the end, I chose The Hobbit because Children of Hurin wasn't a new story, or even all that different from its previous incarnations. If it had been, it would have had my vote without hesitation.

The Hobbit means more than just a movie, though that's quite a bit. Like Curious, I'm glad that The Hobbit means all the fun of TORN in ages past is happening again! I'm finding myself getting unreasonably excited at the prospect. I love the books, but I've also grown to love the fandom as exemplified by the good folks here. Plus? Smaug! Onscreen! And riddles in the dark with Gollum! Yesss!

Of course, if there had been a third option, labeled "Both. I can't choose.", I would have gone for that. I'm always one for the "Other" option. Tongue

Penthe
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 4:56am

Post #10 of 30 (443 views)
Shortcut
You forgot one option [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't actually mind particularly about either. Wink

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 6:40am

Post #11 of 30 (439 views)
Shortcut
For me it is easy: Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit will be REALLLY fun and we can party like its 1999 again but in the big picture it will be another adaptation of Middle-earth. Hurin to me IS Middle-earth.

I feel lucky that I saw a "new" Tolkien arrive.

Wynnie
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 1:20pm

Post #12 of 30 (439 views)
Shortcut
To me, the book [In reply to] Can't Post

because (apologies to PJ fans) it's real Tolkien. And because (apologies to Sil fans) it makes one of his major stories much more readable.

Owlyross
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 4:06pm

Post #13 of 30 (403 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it's a new way of looking at an old, much-loved story, just as the LotR films were.

Children of Hurin, through the Sil and UT, I've already read, and if I'm totally honest I haven't bought it for just that reason... I may get it when it's out in paperback, but otherwise I'm not worried that I've missed anything...

The Hobbit however, just like the trilogy, is a way to share my passion for Tolkien with my RL friends, most of whom either haven't, or wouldn't read the books.

Goldberry
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 10:43pm

Post #14 of 30 (393 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparing these in terms of importance seems a bit like apples and oranges to me. They are both important for their own reasons...but I wonder how important either will actually be in the long history of Tolkien's works?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 1:46am

Post #15 of 30 (404 views)
Shortcut
I didn't vote because [In reply to] Can't Post

neither of them are that important to me. I've never liked the story of Turin much. I read CoH, and it was OK, but I probably won't read it again.

And while I like the story of "The Hobbit", it just doesn't have the richness that has made LotR one of my top favorite stories all my life. I hope the movie is good, but I'm happy enough with the Rankin-Bass version. (But then I kind of like the RB version of RotK better than Jackson's in some respects.)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 1:48am

Post #16 of 30 (395 views)
Shortcut
I vote for that one.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 6:58am

Post #17 of 30 (419 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a fool for "The Hobbit". I read it every year, just like LotR. I read CoH once and I probably will read it again, but not often. I am with Mr. Sandwitch KingCere on the joy of having a new book by Tolkien come out, though.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 6:14pm

Post #18 of 30 (406 views)
Shortcut
that would be my choice/ [In reply to] Can't Post

. . .

Lossefalme
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 4:24pm

Post #19 of 30 (371 views)
Shortcut
Ack! Is there a "Both" option? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess if I were forced to choose, I would pick CoH because Tolkien's writings are so important to me. It's a close call, though, because I didn't find TORn until after LotR came out and missed out on all of the excitement and hullabaloo. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the anticipation of the Hobbit here with my fellow TORnadoes!

I'm so lame; I can't make a decision to save my life! Crazy

Treehugger

Jan 12 2008, 7:03am

Post #20 of 30 (366 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I read CoH after I (emotionally) left Middle Earth. I found it and the Sil really depressing. I feel like this attitude makes me a bad person. Crazy

In Reply To
I guess if I were forced to choose, I would pick CoH because Tolkien's writings are so important to me. It's a close call, though, because I didn't find TORn until after LotR came out and missed out on all of the excitement and hullabaloo. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the anticipation of the Hobbit here with my fellow TORnadoes!

I'm so lame; I can't make a decision to save my life! Crazy

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2008, 7:14am

Post #21 of 30 (365 views)
Shortcut
Are you back? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Middle-Earth, I mean? You're here, after all.Wink
I don't think being depressed by CoH or Sil makes you a bad person -- they're not exactly uplifting stories.

Treehugger

Jan 12 2008, 7:21am

Post #22 of 30 (373 views)
Shortcut
Trying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Am trying to come back. Lost the "high" I had from the movies. (I imagine a lot of people did). Feel like one of the Pevensie Children from Narnia Series and can't get back. But I think if I keep hanging around here and talking, I will be able to find my way back.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2008, 4:53pm

Post #23 of 30 (341 views)
Shortcut
Then I'm bad, too [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not the only one to find the Sil depressing. I'm still not through, have read only bits and pieces of it. Way too much gloom and doom for my taste.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jan 13 2008, 7:41pm

Post #24 of 30 (357 views)
Shortcut
Nah! [In reply to] Can't Post

CoH isn't everone's cup of tea, that's for sure. I can't get into Farmer Giles. Anyway, feelings are nothing to have guilt over. I'm eagerly anticipating The Hobbit movie and hope you are, too!

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 3:18pm

Post #25 of 30 (340 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

THANK YOU!
I totally agree, i voted for Hurin too. Of course the hobbit is amazing news but nothing beats the smell of a brand new Tolkien book *ssniffssss* aaahhh!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.