Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who's directing?

starmaid

Dec 18 2007, 11:01pm

Post #1 of 22 (794 views)
Shortcut
Who's directing? Can't Post

The NYTimes just posted an article about the Hobbit movies--and it said that PJ is NOT directing either of them.

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 18 2007, 11:08pm

Post #2 of 22 (619 views)
Shortcut
Did you find that online? [In reply to] Can't Post

because i have today's issue of NYT and don't see it on the cover of the Arts section....
is it online?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 18 2007, 11:11pm

Post #3 of 22 (598 views)
Shortcut
Yes, here's the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.nytimes.com/..._r=1&oref=slogin

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 19 2007, 1:17am

Post #4 of 22 (569 views)
Shortcut
According to Sloan from MGM ... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's PJ's project, so He's basically in charge of getting the director he wants. And if he decides to do it himself, then so be it.
And not to undermine his other projects, since the Hobbit is PJ's baby now, it will most likely take priority in his future schedualing. Just a hunch.

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 1:25am

Post #5 of 22 (570 views)
Shortcut
Other sources say PJ is tied up and reluctant [In reply to] Can't Post

to direct. If he planned to direct I think he would have signed up to direct.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 1:29am

Post #6 of 22 (554 views)
Shortcut
He could still do that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because he hasn't yet doesn't mean he won't. I think the most important step was taken today - the basic agreement has been signed, now the details can be worked out.

There's no script and there won't be one until the writer's strike is settled. The director isn't required without a script, so there's plenty of time to decide what to do about the director.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 2:10am

Post #7 of 22 (575 views)
Shortcut
Also, PJ hasn't spoken but his WETA spokesman has, and directing seems unlikely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=10483205

And a quote:

"Spokesman Matt Dravitski said Jackson was hesitant to direct it himself and likened his involvement to that of George Lucas' in the original Star Wars trilogy - having established the franchise, Lucas had other directors do parts two and three."

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 2:46am

Post #8 of 22 (542 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see Timothy Burton direct. There's dark humor [In reply to] Can't Post

in The Hobbit, I judge, if you look at it the right way. Much of the humor comes at Bilbo's expense, and after Gandalf leaves much of the humor comes at the dwarves' expense. And ponies do not fare well at all, either in the Misty Mountains or at the Lonely Mountain. Plus, Burton has shown he can do musicals! Maybe we would get to hear the songs!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 2:49am

Post #9 of 22 (531 views)
Shortcut
Bah, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I respect Tim Burton as a director, but I simply don't see him directing something set in Middle-earth. His stuff is more... just plain bizarre rather than mythological. And then Johnny Depp would have to be part of it, too :P

I actually wouldn't mind plucking another unknown. As PJ has shown, unknowns can be rather good.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 2:54am

Post #10 of 22 (523 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, no [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Tim Burton is too intent on putting his own personal stamp on the movies he makes and he's even less capable of restraint than is Peter. I don't think he would be able to relinquish his vision for that of someone else. In this case, the "someone else" is both Peter Jackson and JRRT. Tim Burton would ruin The Hobbit, IMO.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 2:57am

Post #11 of 22 (561 views)
Shortcut
How about Terry Gilliam? The Hobbit can be bizarre. [In reply to] Can't Post

And in contrast to LotR, I'm not sure The Hobbit is mythological.

I'm just spouting off, you know. I expect the movies to be more of a prequel to LotR, which means they will be mythological. But I'm just preparing for my book purist nitpicks. Wink

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 2:57am

Post #12 of 22 (520 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, he'd not be the director for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I can't have PJ (or Fran) I'm not sure who I would want.

Who directed Babe?

For Gondor!

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:01am

Post #13 of 22 (520 views)
Shortcut
I thought Burton did a good job with Batman, [In reply to] Can't Post

respecting the legend while directing his own film. And I'm less worried about the letter of The Hobbit than I am of the spirit. In fact, one thing I admire about PJ's adaptation of LotR is that he usually respected the spirit of the original, even though not one scene was unaltered. I judge that the spirit of The Hobbit is different from the spirit of LotR. But as I said elsewhere, I expect that to change, because most people want a prequel to LotR.

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:07am

Post #14 of 22 (546 views)
Shortcut
Chris Noonan, but George Miller produced. [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris Noonan hasn't done much else, but Miller has done quite a bit. I might not mind Miller, and he is from down under. But I would want the dark Miller.

(This post was edited by Curious on Dec 19 2007, 3:08am)

Furfut
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 3:13am

Post #15 of 22 (530 views)
Shortcut
Burton, Depp... lol [In reply to] Can't Post

[Odd... my post went away but the quote survived... ]

I had to laugh at the thought of Depp in the Hobbit. Laugh Who would he play?

I like Burton, but my first thought when I saw him mentioned above is that he'd have Danny Elfman doing the musical score! Crazy

In Reply To
I respect Tim Burton as a director, but I simply don't see him directing something set in Middle-earth. His stuff is more... just plain bizarre rather than mythological. And then Johnny Depp would have to be part of it, too :P

(This post was edited by Furfut on Dec 19 2007, 3:16am)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 3:17am

Post #16 of 22 (539 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, and the horrendous Helena Bonham Carter... [In reply to] Can't Post

this is NOT on.

For Gondor!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:22am

Post #17 of 22 (510 views)
Shortcut
*grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking more of the movie canon, myself; I myself would like the two to both feel like they are from the same Middle-earth (unlike, say, the animated features). There are, of course, many ways to interpret the Hobbit, but Tim Burton never struck me as the guy to do it for what is already established in the New Line, live action Middle-earth. Though... I must say, the thought is intriguing. Very, very intriguing.

Terry Gillam, though... *grin* Sounds like fun.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:23am

Post #18 of 22 (513 views)
Shortcut
She was good in "Howards End". [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... is James Ivory available to direct?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 4:29am

Post #19 of 22 (497 views)
Shortcut
If he can play Ichabod Crane, Depp could play Bilbo./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 8:41am

Post #20 of 22 (507 views)
Shortcut
This evening's TVNZ news had an item saying [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ film sources believed PJ would direct The Hobbit.

My money is on someone else being brought in to helm the filming - if for no other reason than I think PJ was burnt out by the demands of LOTR (and then King Kong). Remembering what he said on the DVD appendices about looking forward to filming smaller movies, I think he'd be happy to put the directing demands onto someone else and just retain overall control through executive producing.

Of course I could be talking through a great big hole in my head. We just have to wait and see what transpires.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 19 2007, 1:46pm

Post #21 of 22 (479 views)
Shortcut
How about Fran Walsh as director. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since she already has some experience with the directing she did in the LOTR trilogy, I think she could do it.

starmaid

Dec 19 2007, 6:45pm

Post #22 of 22 (515 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy with Fran. Also Guillermo del Toro is interested. [In reply to] Can't Post

His movies are interesting--and even shocking--but they're not so outre as Tim Burton's are.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.