Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - April 9

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 9 2013, 9:44am

Post #1 of 8 (241 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 9 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 9, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Ring-bearers revisit fair Ithilien.
(not from the appendices)
..."In the morning Sam and Frodo rose again in hope and peace; and they spent many days in Ithilien... ...The hobbits wandered here and there visiting again the places that they had passed before; and Sam hoped always in some shadow of the woods or secret glade to catch... ...a glimpse of the great Oliphaunt. And when he learned that at the siege of Gondor there had been a great number of these beasts but that they were all destroyed, he thought it a sad loss.
...'Well, one can't be everywhere at once, I suppose... ...But I missed a lot, seemingly.'
...In the meanwhile the host made ready for the return to Minas Tirith. The weary rested and the hurt were healed."

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9 2013, 11:25pm

Post #2 of 8 (152 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Sam! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Missed a lot"! And his grief at the loss of the Oliphaunts...such a gentle yet stalwart soul. He's every bit deserving of his later life, and hopefully his numerous descendants will take after him! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 9:28am

Post #3 of 8 (131 views)
Shortcut
I can never get enough of Sam :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He still has wonder after all her been through. I think he represents the ultimate hobbit and the Shire for me :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 9:42am

Post #4 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 10, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Ithilien becomes a land of rebirth.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...The hobbits recover in Ithilien among the Great Men of the West while Minas Tirith prepares for the Return of the King.
...The resilience of the hobbits amazes those who have witnessed their healing since their rescue little more than three weeks before, but especially since their waking only four days ago. Together again, the hobbits thrive in this fair land.

April 10, 1420 (S.R. 3020)
(not from the appendices-no text)...Spring in the Shire has always been one of Sam's favourite times of the year, but this year's especially grand as he watches the young trees grow, the flowers bloom and Hobbiton steadily healing from its hurts.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 10 2013, 9:42am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2013, 10:24am

Post #5 of 8 (136 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 11, 3018 (S.R. 1418) The Great Years
1. An evening at the Green Dragon.
(not from the appendices)
..."The conversation in the Green Dragon at Bywater, one evening in the spring of Frodo's fiftieth year, showed that even in the comfortable heart of the Shire rumours had been heard, though most hobbits still laughed at them.
...Sam Gamgee was sitting in one corner near the fire, and opposite him was Ted Sandyman, the miller's son; and... ...other rustic hobbits listening to their talk.
...'Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure,' said Sam.
...'Ah,' said Ted, 'you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home...'
...'...No doubt you can,' retorted Sam, 'and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now.'
...'No thank 'ee,' said Ted, 'I won't. I heard tell of them when I was a youngster, but there's no call to believe in them now. There's only one Dragon in Bywater, and that's Green,' he said, getting a general laugh.
...'All right,' said Sam, laughing... '...But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.'
...'Who's they?'
...'My cousin Hal for one... ...He saw one.'
...'Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying that he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there.'
...'But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking... ...seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch.'
...'Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not.'
...'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors.
...'Then Hal can't have seen one,' said Ted. There was some laughing and clapping: the audience seemed to think that Ted had scored a point.
...'All the same,' said Sam, 'you can't deny that others besides our Halfast have seen queer folk crossing the Shire... ...there are more that are turned back at the borders. The Bounders have never been so busy before.
...'And I've heard tell that Elves are moving west. They do say they are going to the harbours, out away beyond the White Towers.' Sam waved his arm vaguely... ...it was an old tradition that away over there stood the Grey Havens, from which at times elven-ships set sail, never to return....
...'...Well, that isn't anything new, if you believe the old tales. And I don't see what it matters to me or you. Let them sail! But I warrant you haven't seen them doing it; nor any one else in the Shire.'
...'Well, I don't know,' said Sam thoughtfully. He believed he had once seen an Elf in the woods, and still hoped to see more one day. Of all the legends that he had heard in his early years such fragments of tales and half-remembered stories about the Elves as the hobbits knew had always moved him most deeply. 'There are some even in these parts, as know the Fair Folk and get news of them,' he said. 'There's Mr. Baggins now... ...He told me that they were sailing, and he knows a bit about Elves. And old Mr. Bilbo knew more: many's the talk I had with him when I was a little lad.'
...'Oh, they're both cracked,' said Ted. 'Leastways old Bilbo was cracked, and Frodo's cracking. If that's where you get you news from, you'll never want for moonshine.... ...He drained his mug and went out noisily.
...Sam sat silent and said no more. He had a good deal to think about. For one thing, there was a lot to do up in the Bag End garden, and he would have a busy day tomorrow, if the weather cleared. The grass was growing fast. But Sam had more on his mind than gardening. After a while he sighed, and got up and went out...

......that evening, as Sam was walking home and twilight was fading, there came the once familiar tap on the study window.
...Frodo welcomed his old friend with surprise and great delight. They looked hard at one another.
...'All well, eh?' said Gandalf. 'You look the same as ever, Frodo!'
...'So do you,' Frodo replied; but secretly he thought that Gandalf looked older and more careworn. He pressed him for news of himself and of the wide world, and soon they were deep in talk, and they stayed up far into the night."

April 11, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net's first news report!
(determined from Homepage Archives)
...This is the date when TORn split open the internet and landed itself within the evolution of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth with its first news article.
...TORn also changed the way this ground-breaking filmmaker embraced fans and gave us a voice. Peter Jackson saw the intelligence of collaborating with our TORn founders to give rise to a whole new level of creativity and synergy. Plus, he knows how fun we are !!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11 2013, 3:48pm

Post #6 of 8 (121 views)
Shortcut
The "birthday" of TORn! 14 years already? [In reply to] Can't Post

And still going strong! One never knows, where one's feet may lead them, when they take that "first step" through the door...Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 12 2013, 1:43am

Post #7 of 8 (306 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

As April 12th is a date of importance, I'm going to spread it out over the next few days, including a day or so afterwards... for a moment (and more) of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) The Great Years pt. 1
1. Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."...after a late breakfast, the wizard was sitting with Frodo by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm...
...Gandalf was thinking of a Spring, nearly eighty years before, when Bilbo had run out of Bag End without a handkerchief.... ...He was smoking now in silence, for Frodo was sitting still, deep in thought. Even in the light of morning he felt the dark shadow of the tidings that Gandalf had brought. At last he broke the silence.
...'Last night you began to tell me strange things about my ring, Gandalf,' he said. 'And then you stopped, because you said that such matters were best left until daylight. Don't you think you had better finish now? You say the ring is dangerous, far more dangerous than I guess. In what way?'
...'In many ways... ...It is far more powerful than I ever dared to think at first, so powerful that in the end it would utterly overcome anyone of mortal race who possessed it. It would possess him....

...'...A mortal, Frodo, who keeps one of the Great Rings, does not die, but he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness. And if he often uses the Ring to make himself invisible, he fades: he becomes in the end invisible permanently, and walks in the twilight under the eye of the dark power that rules the Rings... ...neither strength nor good purpose will last—sooner or later the dark power will devour him.'
...'How terrifying!' said Frodo. There was another long silence. The sound of Sam Gamgee cutting the lawn came in from the garden....

...'...You do not know the real peril yet,' said Gandalf; 'but you shall. I was not sure of it myself when I was last here; but the time has come to speak. Give me the ring for a moment.'
...Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain... ...and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
...Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of pure and solid gold. 'Can you see any markings on it...?'
...'...No,' said Frodo. 'There are none. It is quite plain, and it never shows a scratch or sign of wear.'
...'Well then, look!' To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire....

......No apparent change came over the ring. After a while, Gandalf got up, closed the shutters outside the window, and drew the curtains. The room became dark and silent though the clack of Sam's shears... ...could still be heard faintly from the garden. For a moment the wizard stood looking at the fire; then he stooped and removed the ring to the hearth with the tongs and at once picked it up. Frodo gasped.
...'It is quite cool,' said Gandalf. 'Take it!' Frodo received it on his shrinking palm: it seemed to have become thicker and heavier than ever.
...'Hold it up!' said Gandalf. 'And look closely!' As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest penstrokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script....

...'...I cannot read the fiery letter,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
...'No,' said Gandalf,' but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:

... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....
... ......Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
... ...Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
... ... Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
... ... ... One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
... ... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

...'...This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all. This is the One Ring that he lost many ages ago, to the great weakening of his power. He greatly desires it—-but he must not get it.'
...Frodo sat silent and motionless. Fear seemed to stretch out a vast hand, like a dark cloud rising in the East and looming up to engulf him. 'This ring!' he stammered. 'How, how on earth did it come to me?'"

[continued as BS tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 13 2013, 8:23am

Post #8 of 8 (146 views)
Shortcut
It's TIME for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep... still stuck on the discussion in Bag End as the Book Spoilers continue... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued) pt. 2
1. Gandalf and Frodo at Bag End.
(from the appendices)
..."'A Ring of Power looks after itself, Frodo. It may slip off treacherously, but its keeper never abandons it. At most he plays with the idea of handing it on to some one else's care—and that only at an early stage, when it first begins to grip... ...Bilbo alone in history has ever gone beyond playing, and really done it. He needed all my help, too. And even so he would never have just forsaken it, or cast it aside. It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him.'
...'What, just in time to meet Bilbo?' said Frodo....
...' ...It is no laughing matter,' said Gandalf. 'Not for you. It was the strangest event in the whole history of the Ring so far: Bilbo's arrival just at that time, and putting his hand on it, blindly, in the dark.
...'There was more than one power at work... ...The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Déagol, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him... ...as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum. Only to be picked up by the most unlikely person imaginable: Bilbo from the Shire!
...'...there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring... ...you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.'
...'It is not,' said Frodo. 'Though I am not sure that I understand you. But how have you learned all this about the Ring, and about Gollum? Do you really know it all, or are you just guessing still?'
...Gandalf looked at Frodo, and his eyes glinted. 'I knew much and I have learned much,' he answered. 'But I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you. The history of Elendil and Isildur and the One Ring is known to all the Wise. Your ring is shown to be that One Ring by the fire-writing alone, apart from any other evidence... ...I expected to find it. I have come back from dark journeys and long search to make that final test. It is the last proof, and all is now only too clear...'

......A heavy silence fell in the room. Frodo could hear his heart beating. Even outside everything seemed still. No sound of Sam's shears could now be heard.
...'Yes, to Mordor,' said Gandalf. 'Alas! Mordor draws all wicked things, and the Dark Power was bending all its will to gather them there...'
...'...Wretched fool! In that land [Gollum] would learn much, too much for his comfort. And sooner or later as he lurked and pried on the borders he would be caught, and taken—for examination.... ...When he was found he had already been there long, and was on his way back. On some errand of mischief. But that does not matter much now. His worst mischief was done.
...'Yes, alas! through him the Enemy has learned that the One has been found again. He knows where Isildur fell. He knows where Gollum found his ring. He knows that it is a Great Ring... ...He knows that it is not one of the Three, for they have never been lost, and they endure no evil. He knows that it is not one of the Seven or the Nine, for they are accounted for. He knows that it is the One. And he has at last heard... ...of hobbits and the Shire.
...'The Shire—he may be seeking for it now... ...Indeed, Frodo, I fear that he may even think that the long-unnoticed name of Baggins has become important.'
...'But this is terrible!' cried Frodo. 'Far worse than the worst that I imagined, from your hints and warnings. O Gandalf, best of friends, what am I to do...? ...What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!'
...'Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.'
...'I am sorry,' said Frodo. 'But I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum... ...He deserves death.'
...'Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance... ...he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill... ...and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many....'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.