Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - April 12

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 12 2013, 1:43am

Views: 265
Shortcut
TIME - April 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

As April 12th is a date of importance, I'm going to spread it out over the next few days, including a day or so afterwards... for a moment (and more) of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) The Great Years pt. 1
1. Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."...after a late breakfast, the wizard was sitting with Frodo by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm...
...Gandalf was thinking of a Spring, nearly eighty years before, when Bilbo had run out of Bag End without a handkerchief.... ...He was smoking now in silence, for Frodo was sitting still, deep in thought. Even in the light of morning he felt the dark shadow of the tidings that Gandalf had brought. At last he broke the silence.
...'Last night you began to tell me strange things about my ring, Gandalf,' he said. 'And then you stopped, because you said that such matters were best left until daylight. Don't you think you had better finish now? You say the ring is dangerous, far more dangerous than I guess. In what way?'
...'In many ways... ...It is far more powerful than I ever dared to think at first, so powerful that in the end it would utterly overcome anyone of mortal race who possessed it. It would possess him....

...'...A mortal, Frodo, who keeps one of the Great Rings, does not die, but he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness. And if he often uses the Ring to make himself invisible, he fades: he becomes in the end invisible permanently, and walks in the twilight under the eye of the dark power that rules the Rings... ...neither strength nor good purpose will last—sooner or later the dark power will devour him.'
...'How terrifying!' said Frodo. There was another long silence. The sound of Sam Gamgee cutting the lawn came in from the garden....

...'...You do not know the real peril yet,' said Gandalf; 'but you shall. I was not sure of it myself when I was last here; but the time has come to speak. Give me the ring for a moment.'
...Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain... ...and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
...Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of pure and solid gold. 'Can you see any markings on it...?'
...'...No,' said Frodo. 'There are none. It is quite plain, and it never shows a scratch or sign of wear.'
...'Well then, look!' To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire....

......No apparent change came over the ring. After a while, Gandalf got up, closed the shutters outside the window, and drew the curtains. The room became dark and silent though the clack of Sam's shears... ...could still be heard faintly from the garden. For a moment the wizard stood looking at the fire; then he stooped and removed the ring to the hearth with the tongs and at once picked it up. Frodo gasped.
...'It is quite cool,' said Gandalf. 'Take it!' Frodo received it on his shrinking palm: it seemed to have become thicker and heavier than ever.
...'Hold it up!' said Gandalf. 'And look closely!' As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest penstrokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script....

...'...I cannot read the fiery letter,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
...'No,' said Gandalf,' but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:

... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....
... ......Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
... ...Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
... ... Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
... ... ... One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
... ... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

...'...This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all. This is the One Ring that he lost many ages ago, to the great weakening of his power. He greatly desires it—-but he must not get it.'
...Frodo sat silent and motionless. Fear seemed to stretch out a vast hand, like a dark cloud rising in the East and looming up to engulf him. 'This ring!' he stammered. 'How, how on earth did it come to me?'"

[continued as BS tomorrow]

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - April 9 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 9 2013, 9:44am
    Oh, Sam! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Apr 9 2013, 11:25pm
        I can never get enough of Sam :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 10 2013, 9:28am
    TIME - April 10 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 10 2013, 9:42am
        TIME - April 11 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 11 2013, 10:24am
            The "birthday" of TORn! 14 years already? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Apr 11 2013, 3:48pm
            TIME - April 12 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 12 2013, 1:43am
                It's TIME for some BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 13 2013, 8:23am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.