The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
voices and accents

dijomaja
Lorien

Apr 12 2013, 1:40am

Post #1 of 23 (1431 views)
Shortcut
voices and accents Can't Post

A lot of the voice-over in the early scenes sounded different, as if Ian Holm's voice had changed (a possibility) or another actor was brought in. Any information?

Also, as with LOTR, the accents seemed all over the map. Some of the Dwarves had Gimli's Scottish accent and some sounded Irish.

For another example, Martin Freeman's accent sounded (to this American, anyway) like a Southern English accent (I kept thinking of Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues) while neither Old nor new Bilbo sounded that way. Any help?

Chubb-Baggins
The Shire

Apr 12 2013, 2:11am

Post #2 of 23 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman's natural accent is Estuary English [In reply to] Can't Post

While he sounded more posh or RP-ish in the Hobbit than his natural one, I believe.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 2:21am

Post #3 of 23 (986 views)
Shortcut
I love all the accents! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think with Aidan Turner, even though he didn't talk a ton, seemed to have more of a British accent to me than Irish. And I believe they have Gloin in a different accent to sound like Gimli's (I saw this in an interview, can't remember where or what the exact accent was they were achieving).

Seaber
Rivendell

Apr 12 2013, 3:24am

Post #4 of 23 (968 views)
Shortcut
Very general terms for accents, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo - South England, received pronunciation
Nori - Southern England, Estuary accent (probably going for a cockney vibe)
Dori - Northern England, possibly Yorkshire/Lancashire
Thorin, Kili, Fili - Northern/Midlands England
Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin - Scottish, possibly Edinburugh
Bofur - Northern Ireland
Bifur and Bombur are hard to say! Ori has a rather non descript accent.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 4:00am

Post #5 of 23 (983 views)
Shortcut
Turner and O'Gorman both shifted [In reply to] Can't Post

to a northern English accent, the better to match with Richard Armitage's voice and give support to the kinship between their characters. At least, that's what my official movie guide says...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 4:59am

Post #6 of 23 (937 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to a northern English accent, the better to match with Richard Armitage's voice and give support to the kinship between their characters. At least, that's what my official movie guide says...

We didn't get to hear them string too many words together, unfortunately, but when we did, that's what it sounded like to me. Kili didn't sound Irish and Fili didn't sound Kiwi. :) Hopefully next time, they get to say more dialogue.

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Apr 12 2013, 5:43am

Post #7 of 23 (963 views)
Shortcut
The Heir of Durin's accents are based on RA's natural speach [In reply to] Can't Post

Dean O'Gorman on how Fili's and Kili's accents were based on how Richard Armitage talks naturally:

http://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 9:46am

Post #8 of 23 (853 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo: one observation [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I did notice when seeing the BR DVD for the first time was that old Bilbo's voice in the Erebor voiceover seems weaker than it does when you watch the film at the cinema. This may be because there is a stereo effect in cinemas, which I certainly don't have at home…

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 10:31am

Post #9 of 23 (846 views)
Shortcut
I agree - mostly - with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bilbo - South England, received pronunciation
Nori - Southern England, Estuary accent (probably going for a cockney vibe)
Dori - Northern England, possibly Yorkshire/Lancashire
Thorin, Kili, Fili - Northern/Midlands England
Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin - Scottish, possibly Edinburugh
Bofur - Northern Ireland
Bifur and Bombur are hard to say! Ori has a rather non descript accent.

Ori sounds London/estuary to me. (Estuary=an accent used by those born around the Thames estuary).

RA uses a north Yorkshire accent. This is his father's accent which he is adept at imitating. His own "natural" accent is a bit hard to pin down since he is so good at doing accents from all over the country but I've always thought that it is a softer version of a northern accent since he was born further south. IIRC, when PJ was advertising the part of Thorin, one of the requirements was that the actor could speak with a north of England/Yorkshire accent. This is a well-liked accent in the UK and is associated with a rough integrity and toughness.

AT and DO have definitely changed their accents to match Thorin's. AT has always been quite good at doing English accents and I noticed the Yorkshire twang the minute they opened their mouths on the doorstep.

Dori is West Yorkshire. I believe he discussed this with Prince Charles when he visited the set in NZ. He does it very well. Aren't the brothers Ri supposed to have different mothers? Perhaps this explains why they have been brought up in different parts of England. (I like a sensible narrative behind my accents, LOL.)

Although I like listening to Balin and Dwalin, I'd appreciate a "sensible narrative" behind their Scottishness when they are relatives(?) of Thorin and apparently spent so much time with him in Erebor. (Were the actors unable to do a Yorkshire accent and so fell back on their native Scots?)

It might be because Dwalin and Balin are cousins of OIn and Gloin who are, of course, stuck with a Scottish accent as the uncle and father of Gimli (who, in LotR, strangely and annoyingly swerved from his native Welsh accent to the eventual Scottish one.)

I think that PJ has tried to be sensible, I suppose, and has given the dwarves - the wanderers of Middle-earth - accents that represent the general mixed blood of the British Isles.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 12 2013, 10:42am

Post #10 of 23 (855 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

McTavish doesn't have a Scotch accent in real life. According to him (at HobbitCon), he based Dwalin's dialect on his father's manner of speech.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Seaber
Rivendell

Apr 12 2013, 11:40am

Post #11 of 23 (806 views)
Shortcut
I find Ori hard to place because [In reply to] Can't Post

He's putting on a sort of childish voice, but he is definitely from the south!

Having been born pretty much on the Thames, I know the accent well :D

It's pretty cool how their accents suit their characters too. Balin's Scotch accent is far more gentle than the fireier Dwalin's or Gloin's. Nori sounds like a crook and Bofur's singsongy voice matches his character well

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 11:51am

Post #12 of 23 (803 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Hutt, [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that he speaks with a perfect English accent (perhaps that makes him more marketable) but he was born in Glasgow. And what with the Scottish father, I'm sure that a Scottish accent is pretty "native" for him, just as RA finds it easy to talk with a Yorkshire accent. I wonder if his father was a Glaswegian because the city's accent is pretty impenetrable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4Sez_Us

Glasgow is a beautiful but rough, tough city. I found it interesting that Dwalin and Balin bang heads when they first meet. This is known in the UK as a "Glasgow kiss", LOL, reflecting the city's violent reputation! I wonder whose idea that was?

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 12 2013, 12:49pm

Post #13 of 23 (797 views)
Shortcut
The initial idea was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not to do the headbutt, but for Dwalin to pick up Balin and shake him violently. However, Ken Stott wasn't fond of that idea.

Also from HobbitCon.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 12:54pm

Post #14 of 23 (765 views)
Shortcut
LOL, Hutt! I can understand why.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 5:34pm

Post #15 of 23 (733 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean East End by 'Estuary'? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is basically known as a Cockney accent (sadly now disappearing). I've never heard of an 'Estuary' accent (and I'm a Londoner, though not a Cockney from the East End). Is using the term 'Estuary' some kind of a PC thing?

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 5:56pm

Post #16 of 23 (736 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps people from within London [In reply to] Can't Post

don't know what people from outside London say about their accent, LOL!

It's a pretty standard term for a south-east accent which has originated from the banks of the Thames estuary. I suppose it has elements of Cockney but I much prefer Cockney and find Estuary very ugly. It is apparently beginning to stretch beyond London because of popular TV shows.

Here is an explanation with examples, although I don't think that the Spanish presenter with her particular accent helps to get the pronunciation across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2X9L5llhTQ

Seaber
Rivendell

Apr 12 2013, 8:00pm

Post #17 of 23 (710 views)
Shortcut
Estuary is East End London, Eastern parts of Greater London and areas of Kent and Essex (mostly) [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds similar, but different to Cockney

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 10:18pm

Post #18 of 23 (683 views)
Shortcut
Estuary English [In reply to] Can't Post

So basically it is a 'working class' accent, sharing many characteristics of Cockney. I hadn't heard of it before today, but then I live right across from East London, in West London.

Interesting. I wonder whether it spread out of the East End and into Essex with the demise of industry, the docks, etc, on the Thames Estuary in London, when many people moved away from the East End…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 12 2013, 10:22pm)

dijomaja
Lorien

Apr 13 2013, 10:46am

Post #19 of 23 (640 views)
Shortcut
thanks, all... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the information on accents; "Estuary" English was a new term for me.

My other question, though, was the difference between Ian Holm's Bilbo and Martin Freeman's. I'm guessing they'd both be considered RP but there's a difference I can't put my finger on (acknowledging that they're different people, of course).

Also, Ian Holm's voice-overs sounded different from his original portrayal. Passage of time?

(This post was edited by dijomaja on Apr 13 2013, 10:46am)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 13 2013, 12:04pm

Post #20 of 23 (628 views)
Shortcut
Estuary is not totally working-class, Glorfindela. [In reply to] Can't Post

In that YT vid I put up a few posts back, it explains how Estuary is an interesting "coming together" of a posh accent from one end and a "common" accent from the other. Estuary is what you get when they meet in the middle which explains why it sounds a bit strangled, LOL!

Posh people like Prince Harry have attempted to moderate their posh accent so that he can be one of the lads (he's in the army) and Cockneys have tried to move upmarket and so no longer drop their "h" at the beginning of a word, for instance.

I think that both Bilbos have similar accents: RP but with a touch of London - definitely not posh. Ian Holm was born in Essex (very Estuary) and MF in Aldershot, south of London. I reckon that they are using their own accents, where Essex is more Estuary than Aldershot and that accounts for any small differences.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 13 2013, 12:14pm

Post #21 of 23 (627 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, ShireHorse [In reply to] Can't Post

One learns something new every day (I think I must lead a sheltered life!).

Apparently the term was first coined in the 1980s, which would make sense given the social history of the East End.

Shame about the demise of the old accents, but I suppose that is 'progress' in languages.

Just as well no one in AUJ speaks Cockney, including Rhyming Slang – or uses a Gorbals accent for that matter. Wink

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 13 2013, 12:15pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 13 2013, 12:46pm

Post #22 of 23 (619 views)
Shortcut
Well, the Trolls have Cockney accents, LOL, [In reply to] Can't Post

just as Tolkien wrote it in the book.

I'll shut up now. I started off trying to be helpful because accents/language/dialects have been a study of mine in the past, but I've started to come across as a bit officious.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 13 2013, 1:12pm

Post #23 of 23 (612 views)
Shortcut
No, you haven't at all [In reply to] Can't Post

What you've said is very interesting.

I'd forgotten about the Trolls – but at least they don't use Rhyming Slang.

In Reply To
just as Tolkien wrote it in the book.

I'll shut up now. I started off trying to be helpful because accents/language/dialects have been a study of mine in the past, but I've started to come across as a bit officious.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.