Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Volunteers for next few Silmarillion chapters?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 11 2013, 10:35pm

Post #1 of 142 (2268 views)
Shortcut
Volunteers for next few Silmarillion chapters? Can't Post

The only requirement is that you have read LOTR and the Silmarillion at some point in your life; you don't need to know the HoME series or anything else. I don't know much, but it doesn't hold me back.

Of the Flight of the Noldor: noWizardme has asked for this one
Of the Sindar: I'll do it unless someone else would like it

That leaves:
Of the Sun and the Moon and the Hiding of Valinor (I think half of that chapter is just reading its title)
Of Men (short title; who cares about them?)
Of the Return of the Noldor
Of Beleriand and its Realms

That sets the stage for the more individualized action to follow. Just PM me or answer this thread with the chapter title in the subject line. We don't have a schedule per se; generally we space chapters apart by a week.

Looking ahead, I think we might take 1-3 weeks each for Beren and Luthien and Turin Turambar. Not only are they long, but there are so many aspects to them and so much of Tolkien's heart and soul poured into them, I think we could look at them from multiple angles and find lots to talk about.

And a big THANK YOU to everyone who is participating!!! You are making this a lot of fun.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 10:45pm

Post #2 of 142 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Of the Sun and the Moon interests me [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the discussion may go beyond The Sil due to JRRT's later thoughts on this and it is a topic that has further implications with respect to the "facts" within the mythology, is that still acceptable.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 11 2013, 11:04pm

Post #3 of 142 (1882 views)
Shortcut
I will take 'Of The Return of the Noldor' CG [In reply to] Can't Post

and another one if needed.

Great idea to take extra time on Beren and Luthien and Turin. Those are such rich chapters. Thank CG for organizing !

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 12:08am

Post #4 of 142 (1875 views)
Shortcut
i would love to do a chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

after tonight, i will be all caught up to the chapter we're currently discussing. i've read the silmarilion many times before, but wanted to reread, to enhance my contributions to the discussions.

if i may ask to defer my chapter request until i take a quick flip through this evening, that would be great.

thanks so much for these threads, and everyone's contributions.

many thanks and cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 12:20am

Post #5 of 142 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Sun & Moon & Myths Transformed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is going to be a great discussion! Can't wait to see where you go with it Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 12:24am

Post #6 of 142 (1883 views)
Shortcut
ok -- i've decided... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll take "of thorin and melian." or, if that's taken, "how aule created thorin's majestic hair."

just kidding. i'll be back in a bit.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 12 2013, 12:25am

Post #7 of 142 (1873 views)
Shortcut
I not sure if I could. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really must be honest. I have a bit of trouble concentrating on this book. So I just wanted to say thank you because your outlines really help me understand what is going on. Blush

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 1:17am

Post #8 of 142 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me, but I WANT the Majestic Hair chapter now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 1:21am

Post #9 of 142 (1866 views)
Shortcut
i will happily [In reply to] Can't Post

take the sindar chapter...

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 1:27am

Post #10 of 142 (1873 views)
Shortcut
christopher tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

did not put it in the silmarilion. quite the injustice.

i had access to tolkien's private, unpublished papers, and there's another chapter you may be interested in: "of brethil and the king under the mountain." i also discovered a chapter entitled, "give brethil a pony." that one's pretty short.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 1:32am

Post #11 of 142 (1861 views)
Shortcut
oh shoot [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought the sindar chapter was unclaimed. sorry, curiousg. i'll look for another.

cheers --

t

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 1:38am

Post #12 of 142 (1865 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll do "of men, " and "of maeglin" as well, as the edain chapter is so short (if that's ok with everyone ).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 2:11am

Post #13 of 142 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Love the Maeglin chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to discuss it. If I remember correctly, Tolkien wrote it to be put in his long version of The Fall of Gondolin. It's too bad he never completed that.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:12am

Post #14 of 142 (1863 views)
Shortcut
And what Joyful Sight are those Titles....! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

i had access to tolkien's private, unpublished papers, and there's another chapter you may be interested in: "of brethil and the king under the mountain." i also discovered a chapter entitled, "give brethil a pony." that one's pretty short.

You have made me supremely happy Maciliel my friend!!!!! Smile Angelic It's bound to be quite interesting (ahem!) reading.........!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:26am

Post #15 of 142 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves are ridden with lice; avoid the hair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just trollin'. Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:29am

Post #16 of 142 (1849 views)
Shortcut
It's not an easy book. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not alone in finding it hard to concentrate on. But things sink in once you get used to all the names, and some people find it a much better read the second time through (if you ever feel like reading it again).

Glad you enjoy our discussions of it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:39am

Post #17 of 142 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Really CG - maligning The Majestic Hair? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some who would not deem it wise........Tongue (**winks**)

Anyway I'm off to bed with some lovely chapters to dream about thanks to Maciliel! Angelic

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 2:40am

Post #18 of 142 (1852 views)
Shortcut
5th time through is more like it [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone actually understand anything until about the fourth or fifth time?? Angelic

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:48am

Post #19 of 142 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Updated schedule [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone for so quickly stepping up to the plate! (And the plate is covered in fresh-baked honey cakes from Beorn. Warm honey cakes...time to hit the kitchen.)

Of the Flight of the Noldor: noWizardme
Of the Sindar: CuriousG
Of the Sun and the Moon: ElendilTheShort
Of Men: Maciliel (and "Of Maeglin" when we get there; not sure if this includes his hair or not)
Of the Return of the Noldor: Brethil
Of Beleriand and its Realms:
CuriousG--tentative

I am a geography geek and am probably the only one willing to take Beleriand and its Realms (my girlfriend in high school HATED that chapter--and somehow it was my fault--though I nudged her through the rest of the book without much trouble). I may be having that chapter conversation
alone with myself, but we'll see.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 10:07am

Post #20 of 142 (1848 views)
Shortcut
hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

You have made me supremely happy Maciliel my friend!!!!! Smile Angelic It's bound to be quite interesting (ahem!) reading.........!

my most certain pleasure. : )

of course, you must realize that there are also alternate chapters in tolkien's papers, like "i've never been so wrong about maciliel in all my life," which culminates in a hug.

additionally, i came across some hobbit haiku...

thranduil ponders the line of succession
royal, majestic
megaloceros, i wish
you could be my heir.

bombur's discovery
made by the elves of
gondolin, my ladle glows
blue, when orcs are near.

thorin reads the portents
so. this is the thrush.
a good omen. if
bombur hadn't eaten it.

revenge
mother's glory box.
plumbing. pantry. prize-winners. knives.
just wait. arkenstone.

i'm a writer, and write in many forms. for my own amusement, i write humorous haiku. i have a whole bunch on the hobbit.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 12 2013, 10:09am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 10:50am

Post #21 of 142 (1835 views)
Shortcut
I love the haiku form! [In reply to] Can't Post

and these are great Maciliel! (I particularly love Thorin reads the portents).

You should treat us to installments! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 11:00am

Post #22 of 142 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again for organizing us CG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having 'nudged' my hubby through TH - he will go no further....sigh. (At least you got your GF through Sil!)

We promise we won't abandon you in Beleriand, muttering to yourself about the map (what a chapter for a geography quiz!)

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 11:01am

Post #23 of 142 (1844 views)
Shortcut
ha! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm so glad you like, brethil. : ) and i've got a +whole+ bunch on thorin. he's so easy... pfffffft.

i'm actually putting these together on a web site, and i'm in the process of making the site look nice, spiffing it up, etc.

i write a few a week.

true haiku have certain elements. like a reference to a season, using certain words that, within the japanese culture, invoke a season (e.g., like cherry blossoms). i didn't use that element.

traditional haiku also have a "biting word." i'm not exactly true to that either, but i try to keep the biting word spirit alive by having the haiku i write pivot on the last line or a certain word that makes the whole thing funny. i don't always pull it off, but there is some consistency.

i'll share when the site is done.

ha! i'm so glad you like! : )

many cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 12 2013, 11:03am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 11:40am

Post #24 of 142 (1826 views)
Shortcut
I look forward to your site! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Thorin is VERY ... inspiring!
I really like the form, and how you step out of the traditional language and theme to go for humor. Very effective with a lot of 'punch'. I think you do get the bite in - like in 'Revenge' and "Bombur's Discover."

Keep writing them! Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 12 2013, 12:15pm

Post #25 of 142 (1821 views)
Shortcut
i'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

... i cannot stop!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.