Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit will get darker.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 7:56am

Post #1 of 18 (1369 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit will get darker. Can't Post

Evil So, i'm glad my fears have being nullified.The Hobbit according to this interview is going to get Darker as the story progresses.Cast members, confirmed in an interview that DOS and TABA will be much more intense and Richard Armitage said it will include a very iconic scene from the book.The interview, can be seen below.;)

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/...smaug-135608803.html

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 11 2013, 8:05am)

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 10:05am

Post #2 of 18 (657 views)
Shortcut
Good stuff, I said back when del Toro was on [In reply to] Can't Post

that it would be good to start with a different atmosphere and slowly get darker and more serious as it goes on. The story works perfectly for that idea to happen, the characters don't really acknowledge the seriousness of their quest at the start, but the stakes are higher as they get nearer and by the end the tone changes quite dramatically.

I'm always drawn back to this picture from DoS. - it's not all happy magic and lights http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/bfd821300.jpg

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 11 2013, 10:06am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2013, 10:10am

Post #3 of 18 (582 views)
Shortcut
There is another thread a couple down from this :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yahoo UK -- cast talks more on DoS.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 10:22am

Post #4 of 18 (567 views)
Shortcut
I certainly hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed parts of AUJ quite a bit, but it's "humor" was not really up my alley. So, the less "whimsy" (i.e. snot, "balls", poop, belch humor), the better.

I'm looking most forward to seeing how the Dol Guldur story plays out. I know it's playing a little fast and loose with Tolkien's history, but what we've seen looks very cool, very dark and atmospheric. But i hope the rest of the story darkens as well, especially once they hit Mirkwood.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 11 2013, 11:04am

Post #5 of 18 (546 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they still try to do what GDT (and PJ) mentioned early in the project that by the end of TABA we essentialy see the world how we know it from LotR (the feeling of an apocalyptic menace).

Although it means quite a bit of changing of the Necromancer story- and timeline, I still believe that is a good approach, making all six movies a story about the ending Third Age and the underlying conflict.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 11:20am

Post #6 of 18 (570 views)
Shortcut
I knew it'd get darker [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only relevant, as the tone of the book gets relatively "dark" as it progresses. I mean, we'll get a claustrophobic forest with giant spiders, sleazy politics in Lake-town, Smaug awakening, causing more death and destruction, and the climactic Battle of Five Armies.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 11 2013, 12:09pm

Post #7 of 18 (529 views)
Shortcut
I would add.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the prelude of the Bot5A is arguably one of the darkest moments in TH and the LotR - because you have suddenly the very real possibility of the Free Peoples starting a battle, and even a war, amongst each other.

It is not as apocalyptic as LotR with a fight against the end of the world (basically), but in terms of politics and the involved feelings and frustrations certainly one of the most complex and, indeed, dark moments.

Not to mention what it would have meant for the rise of Sauron and the War of the Ring if this battle among the Free Peoples had been fought (even if Bilbo would have returned to the Shire, there would probably not have been a Council of Elrond in the form as it took place and no unified stand against Sauron's forces in the Northern war theatre).

(This post was edited by Arannir on Apr 11 2013, 12:11pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 11 2013, 2:51pm

Post #8 of 18 (445 views)
Shortcut
I did like much of the humour in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

It worked for me much better than any 'humour' in the LOTR films, which left me stone cold. I actually laugh (or smile) at many moments in AUJ, for example in the Bag End sequence.

The only thing I don't particularly like is the 'burping' moments, but those only occur in a few brief instances, so I can ignore them.

I hope there will be some more humorous moments in the following two films. It won't be very good if these films are just dark and gloomy, though I appreciate that some sad things happen as the story progresses. I'm also not sure whether a very dark story would have wide audience appeal.Unimpressed

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 3:35pm

Post #9 of 18 (422 views)
Shortcut
Just like the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Only the first part is thinkable as childish. I always saw this book became dark after the first parts.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 3:46pm

Post #10 of 18 (406 views)
Shortcut
Just like in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

The first part have the humor and more-like a tale stuff. Then the book becomes dark.

Queen

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 4:12pm

Post #11 of 18 (410 views)
Shortcut
There will be darkness in it [In reply to] Can't Post

TIIIIIIRIIIIIIIIITIIRIIIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 11 2013, 4:57pm

Post #12 of 18 (376 views)
Shortcut
Although it was written for children [In reply to] Can't Post

The tone of the book is very light throughout. I never noticed any 'darkness' when I read it as a child – but then that might be because the majority of the characters were not clearly drawn so it was difficult to feel any emotion towards them?

In Reply To
Only the first part is thinkable as childish. I always saw this book became dark after the first parts.

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 6:14pm

Post #13 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
Said that ages ago...// [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 7:15pm

Post #14 of 18 (295 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i agree about the Bag End sequence. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the character based humor of the Unexpected Party (apart from a couple of burps and that "balls" clunker). Although it is more amusing than hilarious to me, it's still very fun to watch. But virtually everything i consider to be problems with AUJ happens after the company leaves the Shire, and most of that occurs after they leave Rivendell. If PJ and Co. had somehow maintained the almost magical feel and more innocent sense of fun of the Shire part of the film, and not resorted to the cheap gags and over the top action of the later parts, they might have had another classic on their hands. As it is, it's merely good.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 9:23pm

Post #15 of 18 (261 views)
Shortcut
I loved ALL of AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really enjoyed the character based humor of the Unexpected Party (apart from a couple of burps and that "balls" clunker).

EXCEPT for that "balls" comment! I said this in another thread a while back, but that's more a modern-day, non-ME/Tolkien punchline and it took my right out of Middle Earth for a moment. Other than that, I absolutely loved the movie, even Radagast's bird poop and the troll snot!

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 11 2013, 9:49pm

Post #16 of 18 (242 views)
Shortcut
There migh be a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

I see most people have read the book as a kid, I read it when I was 26-27 and after reading the Silmarillion and LOTR, so I had a much deeper vision of the meanings and adult spirit I guess

Queen

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 11 2013, 10:26pm

Post #17 of 18 (225 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I've read it since I was a child, too [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me it never seemed to have that much depth. It has always been a charming children's story, but without any character development for most of the protagonists. (I probably reread it after reading LOTR.)

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 2:06pm

Post #18 of 18 (138 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit it´s written like a tale, not so many descriptions (Thorin, besides Bilbo, is the better developed carácter, since I read the book I found him fascinating Smile) , and that is (for me) what makes it to look like a children book.

But that doesn´t mean the depth and darkness are not there.

The movies are not creating anything out of nothing, what they do it´s on the book, or inspired by what the book says (except Tauriel... even though I guess they also have to take something from Tolkien to write that character)

Hope this will not change because they have turned The Hobbit into a fanfic

Queen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.