The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: Legolas: "Or too few."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 1:25am

Post #1 of 19 (794 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Legolas: "Or too few." Can't Post

Hi All, sorry for the late post and I'm basically just throwing it open to general discussion, unexpectedly rushed this week Crazy

I will just ask this though, does it look like Legolas has smelt something a bit off?

and is it this guy? EvilAngelic

Back later with a proper SCOD. Have fun with these CoolHeart

Larger images can be found here and here.

*love & hugs*
Kel x

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 2:07am

Post #2 of 19 (424 views)
Shortcut
Hey! No dissing the future king! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 2:13am

Post #3 of 19 (442 views)
Shortcut
"Listen buddy I had a tough day. And 'bantha poodoo' isn't even proper Elvish if you ask me..." [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this exchange Kel!! Cool Thanks for some fun with some of our favorite boys!!!!!!!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 2:19am

Post #4 of 19 (408 views)
Shortcut
Heeheehee... evil Kitty strikes again ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 2:22am

Post #5 of 19 (440 views)
Shortcut
"bantha poodoo!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

ROFLMAO Laugh

I like this exchange Kel!! CoolThanks for some fun with some of our favorite boys!!!!!!!

You're welcome dear Wink

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 3:14am

Post #6 of 19 (468 views)
Shortcut
the one thing i never got about this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

is that, at one point, legolas is speaking in sindarin about how three hundred were too few to defend the fortress against ten thousand. he speaks (again in elvish) that they cannot win this battle, and that they're all going to die.

as despairing as his assessment was, at least he kept it between him and aragorn. even gimli would not have understood it.

however, aragorn then blurts out --- "then i shall die as one of them!" in a language presumably all within earshot understood (presumably westron).

this is just the thing that the general troops do +not+ need to hear at this point. this strikes me as more a mistake of the scriptwriters, rather than aragorn.

every time -- every time -- i see this scene, i am flabbergasted. my gast is flabbered.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 7:53am

Post #7 of 19 (434 views)
Shortcut
This is as close as the elf prince gets to losing his cool [In reply to] Can't Post

throughout the films. It is also similar to what we've seen of Thranduil's disdainful demeanor in the few scenes we've had in The Hobbit. This look perhaps reflects what he's seen in his father's face over a few ages of encounters with "lesser" beings. I don't think Legolas is disdainful, just very distressed and sees no way out for these hapless humans. It will be interesting to see how Thranduil plays off the dwarves and men and if he eventually shows the same compassion his son will in Legolas' future dealings with other races.

And Maciliel, my gast was also flabbered.Unsure

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 8:58am

Post #8 of 19 (423 views)
Shortcut
hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Maciliel, my gast was also flabbered.

lissuin! hah! : )

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 2:24pm

Post #9 of 19 (439 views)
Shortcut
I agree it was bad for morale, but something I liked about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

was that it was Aragorn's way of identifying himself with the mortals there.

Up until that point, he was kind of a being apart. Obviously not an elf, but more than a man; long-lived, friends with elves and dwarves, able to survive falls off of cliffs Tongue, etc. I always saw this as his way of reminding his immortal friend that he is not any different than the other poor schmos about to snuff it, no matter how "special." he is.

I don't know if I put that clearly enough.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 19 (370 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Elwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
was that it was Aragorn's way of identifying himself with the mortals there.

Up until that point, he was kind of a being apart. Obviously not an elf, but more than a man; long-lived, friends with elves and dwarves, able to survive falls off of cliffs Tongue, etc. I always saw this as his way of reminding his immortal friend that he is not any different than the other poor schmos about to snuff it, no matter how "special." he is.

I don't know if I put that clearly enough.

I think it is a necessary stage in Aragorn's journey from being the hidden blood of Isildur and fosterling of Elves to accepting his role and his future with Men. So in earlier interactions (for example with Boromir debating the path they should take) Aragorn always holds back from appearing to be a Man of Numenor and remains the Ranger, on the fringe of Elf society. This is a spontaneous step, in a moment of emotion, that probably has been coming for a long while and has to happen if he is going to be King one day.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 6:05pm

Post #11 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that [In reply to] Can't Post

excellent observation. Up until now I'd also had the same bit of thinking, "Way to go to bolster the troops there, Aragorn!" but your point explains what really was going on. By blurting that out in the language of Men, he's both identifying with the Men and pointedly reminding Legolas that he's one of them, the Men, not Elf.

Thanks very much for sharing that perspective, Elwen!

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 6:06pm

Post #12 of 19 (356 views)
Shortcut
And agreed, [In reply to] Can't Post

it is a huge character moment both of them; for Aragorn, as you say, and for Legolas to be able to admit a momentary weakness (" Forgive me. I was wrong to despair"), and then the friends reconnect. So much is conveyed in about 30 seconds of film. One of the best scenes between two people in all three films.

And the shocked Rohan men just go back to arming themselves, trying to ignore the elephant in the room. I can't help but feel bad for them.Evil

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 6:24pm

Post #13 of 19 (376 views)
Shortcut
Legolas: "I forgot my blue contact lenses, didn't I?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn: "Again."

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 7:03pm

Post #14 of 19 (362 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect - and too true!Laugh

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 19 (344 views)
Shortcut
I definitely never thought it was a mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

The change in language to something the men would understand is very pointed - it is Aragorn showing solidarity with the Rohirrim, rather than being all "high and mighty" elvish and detached from them. I don't see it as being detrimental to the morale of the troops, but rather as a reminder that the only course of action is to pull together and take comfort in each other's company. Having secret conversations in a different language is not likely to help that aspect!

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 8:27pm

Post #16 of 19 (358 views)
Shortcut
i definitely see the choice of westron [In reply to] Can't Post

i definitely see the choice of westron/a language the rohirrim could understand was a choice of solidarity... but i think he could have chosen better words.... like...

"i shall fight as one of them."

or something similar.

i think the way his particular words came out, along with the fact that the previous portion of the conversation was in eclipse (because it was in sindarin), was not optimal.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 8:30pm

Post #17 of 19 (386 views)
Shortcut
legolas' eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aragorn: "Again."

the explanation is so simple. legolas' eyes are dark because he is in the midst of despair. when he gets hopeful again, they'll turn blue.

of course, when they're blue, this might be an indication that they're riddled with mold. (i learned this from dwalin.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 12:21am

Post #18 of 19 (327 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

You put that really well. That's what I felt too.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 2:03pm

Post #19 of 19 (330 views)
Shortcut
Cannot resist...must post... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to bring up this dreadful old joke with Ugluk and the Uruk-hai from TTT, but I can't help myself...

"What is it? What do you smell?"

"Manflesh."

Link.

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.