Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Oh dear, Ro's been thinking again.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 9:42am

Views: 2081
Shortcut
Oh dear, Ro's been thinking again. Can't Post

So, most of us have had the DVD for a little while now, with time to watch and rewatch the whole movie, or just our favourite parts, hopefully to our heart’s content. Naturally, if I’ve been watching the movie a bit, I start Thinking. Here’s my latest round of observations, thoughts, and a few Questions That Need Answering.

1. Can anyone explain just how the front gate of Erebor got sealed (as per Balin’s comment in Bag End) after Smaug blasted his way through it? Is it sealed just metaphorically (i.e., due to Smaug’s presence), sort of like balrogs having wings? Or has Smaug sealed himself inside? Or…?

2. You’re puttering around the house with the movie playing. What one scene always brings you running back to the TV to watch? And which scene still always makes you smile?

3. Am I the only one who missed a lot of the background dialogue that’s so delightfully revealed by the subtitles?

4. The angle of the point of Bilbo’s ears is somewhat back of vertical, which is accentuated when he looks up. In an animal with pricky-up pointy ears (e.g., horses, some dogs, for starters), this angle suggests a general feeling of mild annoyance or bebotherment, or hesitancy, or similar. Not curiosity, eagerness, or enthusiasm. I’m not sure this angle was intentional, but I think it’s perfectly suited to his character. (Look at his ears when he’s sitting in the chair in Bag End talking to Gandalf, recovering with his tea, for a good example.)

5. The mountain-shaped theme that first plays in the prologue when Thorin shakes his fist at the mountain and never forgives or forgets is played in two other places (that I’ve picked up, at least): when Nori, Bofur, and Gloin bury the troll-chest, and when Bilbo defends Thorin’s body near the end. Given that we hear this in those three places, what is this theme representing? I’m very curious about this particular one.

6. Just before the troll scene, we see Bofur serving up the stew that Bombur fixed, and then thanks to the subtitles we can hear Gloin telling him it’s not a bad stew, he’s had worse; and Nori teasing that Dori could have made it. The trolls are also fixing a pot of stew, and giving the cook a hard time. Complaining about dinner is universal.

7. Orcrist really *does* sing in battle (as Thorin hollers “Hold your ground!” just before Rivendell). I’d thought it was a continuity error, with Thorin drawing the sword even though we’d just seen him holding it – but it’s not. He’s clearly not drawing it, he’s just raising it. And Orcrist is “singing” away. Cool beans. (I’m not the first one to notice this, but I wasn’t sure I believed it at first!)

8. I love the warmer, more personable Elrond we have in AUJ, compared to Elrond in LOTR. This Elrond is "as kind as summer", just like in the book.

9. When Radagast plows through the company just outside the troll cave, Thorin and Dwalin stand side-by-side, with Kili in front of them, swords and war hammer at the ready. Bombur is standing firmly *behind* those three, bravely wielding his giant soup ladle. He cracks me up!

10. I think Fili also has a magic ring of invisibility. He slipped it on just before they Company is brought before the Goblin King. Has anyone spotted him there? I tried hard today and couldn’t.

11. Are we *ever* going to get to see Gandalf do his pointy hat trick? And does Bofur have a floppy hat trick?

Subject User Time
Oh dear, Ro's been thinking again. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 10 2013, 9:42am
    but.. jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Apr 10 2013, 10:34am
    The Front Gate of Erebor Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Apr 10 2013, 10:45am
        Elrond's expression The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 10 2013, 12:03pm
            I think Elrond is enjoying his revenge Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 10 2013, 2:22pm
                He does enjoy teasing them Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Apr 10 2013, 3:28pm
    My thoughts The Prancing Pony Send a private message to The Prancing Pony Apr 10 2013, 11:11am
    Bombur's probably as deadly with a ladle as Sam with a frying pan.// L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven Apr 10 2013, 11:18am
    Good observations! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 10 2013, 1:57pm
        Makes no sense for it to be blocked... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 10 2013, 3:35pm
            Well, he hasn't been seen in sixty years... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 10 2013, 3:50pm
        Subtitles can be useful. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 11 2013, 2:17am
            About that... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 11 2013, 11:34am
                Ahh, I see. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 12 2013, 11:49am
        You found Fili!!! ***applause*** Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 12 2013, 2:30am
            Yes, I did find Fili, but... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 12 2013, 4:46pm
                Dimples, Screencaps and who warns Thorin?! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 12 2013, 5:05pm
                    Dimple Vision has also discovered dimples on Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 12 2013, 5:54pm
                        AWESOME!!!! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 12 2013, 8:42pm
    Now I have to watch it again.... Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Apr 10 2013, 2:15pm
        Same here! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Apr 10 2013, 3:08pm
    I love it when you think, Ro! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Apr 10 2013, 3:18pm
        Oin The Prancing Pony Send a private message to The Prancing Pony Apr 10 2013, 3:48pm
        Doesn't happen very often. ;-) Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 10 2013, 10:03pm
    Nice post as usual Ro! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Apr 10 2013, 4:48pm
    I always come back to see Azanulbizar Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Apr 10 2013, 7:16pm
        Even better hair-tossing Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 10 2013, 9:46pm
            Absolutely! Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Apr 10 2013, 10:31pm
            Lmao tarasaurus Send a private message to tarasaurus Apr 10 2013, 11:19pm
    Subtitle question ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 10 2013, 7:32pm
        Yes, it is. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 10 2013, 9:52pm
            Thanks for the confirmation Roheryn :-) DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 11 2013, 9:07am
    Was wondering, does Gollum refer to the Ring as his birthday present at any point? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 10 2013, 7:40pm
        Maybe just hobbits in the Shire? Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 10 2013, 7:56pm
            hobbit-kind versus Shire Hobbits Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 10 2013, 9:04pm
                That's what I'm thinking Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 10 2013, 9:48pm
    Thinking about YOUR thoughts.... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 10 2013, 8:51pm
        "Stop harshing my Du Bekar buzz." Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 10 2013, 10:11pm
            Let's make it a saying! And more about your music idea... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 10 2013, 10:27pm
                I'll try it out Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 11 2013, 9:17am
        Orcrist Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 11 2013, 1:39pm
            *sigh* Indeed! I am very attached to that sword! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 11 2013, 1:45pm
                Thanks :) Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 11 2013, 2:15pm
    2. I haven't got to the point Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Apr 10 2013, 9:48pm
    he is in goblintown Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Apr 11 2013, 5:34am
    Love your point about Elrond! So true indeed, I like his character portrayal immensely in AUJ.// Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Apr 11 2013, 4:42pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.