Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interesting interview with Manu Bennett (Empire Online)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 7:35am

Post #1 of 52 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Interesting interview with Manu Bennett (Empire Online) Can't Post

Reveals some last-minute changes to the character and a few tidbits of what to expect in Films 2 and 3 ...

http://www.empireonline.com/...terview.asp?IID=1660

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

(This post was edited by Arandir on Apr 10 2013, 7:35am)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 7:41am

Post #2 of 52 (890 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I saw Azog pukana in that scene, and then wondered if I had imagined it. Now I'm feeling very pleased with myself that I spotted it. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 8:04am

Post #3 of 52 (898 views)
Shortcut
That settles that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Warg is named Daisy.

Sly

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 8:40am

Post #4 of 52 (806 views)
Shortcut
I just love the character more and more, [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wish that they had more time to develop the character more on screen!
The ideas for Azog were really good, but somehow I think the last minute changes did hurt the character, and didn't give enough time to make his performance come across as good as it should!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Silmaril
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 8:49am

Post #5 of 52 (758 views)
Shortcut
interesting, ideed! [In reply to] Can't Post

4 weeks before the premiere...puhhh. it turned out good in my opinion.

TariArFiniel
The Shire

Apr 10 2013, 8:55am

Post #6 of 52 (762 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very good interview, thank you! I must second painjoker, in a way I like Azog, let's see how he'll turn out in the next two movies. I could imagine he will surprise us.

You're heading back to New Zealand this summer to shoot more scenes. Can you give any hints about what they'll involve?
Not really, because I've not yet seen the scripts. But Peter's told me that he's going to build Azog up over the next two films, so I'm getting plenty to do.

That's now the second 'confirmation' I believe, that we'll see Azog in both, Desolation of Smaug and There and back again.

I also love that one:

Did that extend to naming the warg?
Yes, I actually called her Daisy. (Laughs) We actually came up with a T-shirt that said, "A warg is an orc's best friend."

And:

There's enough of that riding around on other wargs! But it's funny you should say that, because I don't want to give anything away, but Daisy has a role to play. And I swear to you this: Azog is always going to be very attentive to her. That relationship is an ongoing concern in this series."

Aww, can't wait to see that!

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 9:55am

Post #7 of 52 (753 views)
Shortcut
Manu appears slightly confused... [In reply to] Can't Post

We know of course that Conan Stevens' Bolg was originally Azog, but Manu's performance appears quite clearly to have been mapped over John Rawls' Yazneg, as shown by that Azog video. So when Manu refers to Bolg being in that Lego set, he obviously means Yazneg.

All this gives me hope that we might actually see more of Azog in the EE, particularly his defiling of Thror's severed head. It's to be expected that he might have forgotten something as minor as that. I don't expect any large new scenes involving Azog, but small additions like that would be welcome.

boldog
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 9:55am

Post #8 of 52 (689 views)
Shortcut
sounds cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

i was hoping that i would here some confirmation that azog and bolg will play a part together in the films. this just proved it! lol it would be funny to see a baby bolg in his fathers arms though!Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 11:44am

Post #9 of 52 (611 views)
Shortcut
Interesting interview, Arandir [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea who the actor was before this.

It is a shame they couldn't have used him with prosthetics, but the motion-capture version was really pretty good. Azog is intimidating.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 1:49pm

Post #10 of 52 (561 views)
Shortcut
I would actually prefer if Bolg was Azog's nephew... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because Azog must have had sex to conceive Bolg. Can you imagine Azog having sex? That is a pretty disturbing image...

Well, I guess this confirms that Bolg is in DOS and TABA. Some were worried that Azog had replaced Bolg altogether.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 1:54pm

Post #11 of 52 (593 views)
Shortcut
Well, I think that they first went with Bolg's design for Azog, and then Yazneg's... [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that Conan Stevens first was cast as Azog, and then Bolg with John Rawls being cast as Azog. This early poster also featured Conan Stevens as Azog:

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

architecthis
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 1:55pm

Post #12 of 52 (588 views)
Shortcut
Awful [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a terrible decision for so many reasons and the movie really suffers for it - and now we know the next two will as well.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 1:59pm

Post #13 of 52 (586 views)
Shortcut
Cool interview, but kinda worried... [In reply to] Can't Post

that he made it sound like Azog was going to kill Thorin. I guess it makes sense in the sense of the change in expending Azog's character, but what about Bolg?

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 2:18pm

Post #14 of 52 (551 views)
Shortcut
May Azog completely take over Bolg's role and Bolg die in Dol Guldur? [In reply to] Can't Post

?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 3:31pm

Post #15 of 52 (519 views)
Shortcut
It's such a shame that they made such a huge character decision so late in the process, [In reply to] Can't Post

because it certainly shows on screen. Azog is so ill-concieved and half-formed, especially in his hackneyed design, it's a real disappointment coming from PJ, who i thought had a perfect track record when it came to character creation and design. It's kind of depressing hearing he'll have even more of a presence in the next two films, but i can only hope that they make much better use of this character (that shouldn't even be directly involved in this story!) than having him strut around like some Middle-earth professional wrestler.

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 3:44pm

Post #16 of 52 (463 views)
Shortcut
" it would be funny to see a baby bolg in his fathers arms" [In reply to] Can't Post

The visual I get of that is just....disturbing! Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

architecthis
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 3:51pm

Post #17 of 52 (486 views)
Shortcut
Completely Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that they have enough time this time around to correct some of the issues with the character - but I do not have high hopes.

Bolg looks so cool too! I feel like they did this just because they were going to three films and needed extra material to fill the time. What a shame.

architecthis
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 3:55pm

Post #18 of 52 (460 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been more than sufficient to provide a flashback of Azog being killed in the battle of AZ.

They ruined the stone giants in the same manner. In the book we read that giants are hurling boulders at each other in the distance and in the movie we lose all the mystery and provocativeness of that description.

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 4:02pm

Post #19 of 52 (423 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 4:20pm

Post #20 of 52 (474 views)
Shortcut
Thror's head [In reply to] Can't Post

There are pictures in the new Weta Chronicles Book of his decapitated head with the defiling of the head. So I'd say maybe a bit of it as it rolled was in the TE and we might see it in the EE.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 4:29pm

Post #21 of 52 (455 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer it [In reply to] Can't Post

…if Thorin killed Azog in DoS, so that Bolg would then come after Thorin. Don't really like the idea of there being two antagonists, and Thorin should have some gratification after all that he has suffered (the final 'redemption' would not be enough).

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 4:36pm

Post #22 of 52 (413 views)
Shortcut
Bingo [In reply to] Can't Post

That's where I got the idea from. I made a thread about it last Friday.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 4:37pm

Post #23 of 52 (415 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'd like to see as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 4:38pm

Post #24 of 52 (399 views)
Shortcut
Got ya [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed that thread but saw your other book thread. Just glad the detail may be in the TE and I missed it but hopefully for sure in the EE.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Apr 10 2013, 4:44pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 4:39pm

Post #25 of 52 (408 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

and I just hope that there is a good flow to it

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.