Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My speculative theory on why Azog was kept alive [spoilers]

AshNazg
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 3:29am

Views: 887
Shortcut
My speculative theory on why Azog was kept alive [spoilers] Can't Post

Okay so with A LOT of thinking I've developed a theory. But to understand it you need to first know my speculative idea on how AUJ played out before the split. Here are the important scenes:

Scene 1 GANDALF DISCOVERS THRAIN: Originally placed at dinner in Bag End, this scene shows Gandalf discovering a crazed Thrain and gaining map and key. After asking "who did this to you?" Gandalf can only get the response "Azog...Azog..." bringing fear to the company that Azog survived.

Scene 2 WEATHERTOP: After failing to capture the dwarves, the chief orc [Yazneg] reports back to his boss. - the audience learns Azog isn't alive but his son, Bolg, is commanding the search wanting vengeance. He puts a price on Thorin's head and sends the riders out.

Scene 3 Frying Pan: Yazneg traps the dwarves in a single tree, but the eagles come and save them [no showdown]

Scene 4 Beorn: Beorn searches out and tortures answers from Yazneg. He learns about the situation with Bolg and informs Thorin.

Now the decision comes to split this into 2 movies. The final scene is now the Carrock rather than the barrels, so the final big moment is when the dwarves are saved. But, with no real action, this is a hugely anticlimactic ending, so an epic showdown is needed!**** So what are the options?

Thorin vs Yazneg Thorin having a showdown with Yazneg would be one thing, but Thorin gets out of a pretty tight spot (dangling from a tree) to fight him and would need a lot of motivation to achieve this. Also being nearly defeated by such a minor orc would make him seem weak. - We need a bigger threat and more motivation!

Thorin vs Bolg Thorin having a showdown with Bolg would ruin the surprise too soon and would change Beorn's purpose too severely. Remember, Beorn needs to inform Thorin that Bolg is alive, but also Beorn needs to kill the leader of the warg-pack and if that's Bolg then who leads the orcs at Bo5A?

Thorin vs Azog So, in a bold move, Azog supplies the right amount of motivation for a final-scene showdown and doesn't conflict with Beorn's story too strongly, he's also a great alternative source for Beorn to receive news of Bolg.

If my thinking is right, the next film will see Beorn torturing information from Azog and learning about Bolg, then later informing Thorin about the situation.

But if Azog is killed by Beorn why does Bolg care about Thorin? Well the simple answer is, he doesn't, much. Bolg is Beorn's enemy, not Thorin's. The real question here is, who will kill Thorin? Maybe Bolg will still do it, Thorin did cut his dad's arm off and Bolg did torture Thrain for a while, so there's motivation. Or maybe someone else will do it. It's possible that Thranduil could back-stab him in a moment of greed, for example. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

****An Epic Showdown is Needed: Film 1's theme was very much about Thorin's trust in Bilbo, and this was something that needed to be resolved at the end. When Bilbo saves the dwarves from the Elvenking's Hall [and the spiders], a new respect is gained and is then resolved in the barrel escape with the words "I have never been so wrong in all my life". But when the split came, this was no-longer the end, the resolve couldn't happen in the middle of film 2! So the line was moved to the Carrock (along with the thrush). It then became necessary for Bilbo to also stand against Azog, so that Thorin could see Bilbo's courage, respect could be gained and the matter of trust could be resolved at the end.

PS: I realise this is all highly speculative. It's not necessarily what I believe to be true, but it's a theory with few holes as far as I can see.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 10 2013, 3:38am)

Subject User Time
My speculative theory on why Azog was kept alive [spoilers] AshNazg Send a private message to AshNazg Apr 10 2013, 3:29am
    Well deskp Send a private message to deskp Apr 10 2013, 10:18am
    Interesting thoughts Lio Send a private message to Lio Apr 11 2013, 12:41am
        Glad at least one person read it... AshNazg Send a private message to AshNazg Apr 11 2013, 9:50am
            Beorn Interrogation Lio Send a private message to Lio Apr 11 2013, 11:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.