Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Blake's 7 remake

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 9 2013, 8:24pm

Post #1 of 7 (78 views)
Shortcut
Blake's 7 remake Can't Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...inment-arts-22079232

It can't better the original.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 9 2013, 9:11pm

Post #2 of 7 (58 views)
Shortcut
Ah Servalan, you delicious cow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have three strong memories of this show: Servalan, the talking computer and the really, really lame ending to what was such a good series. I hope the remake does it justice!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 9 2013, 9:39pm

Post #3 of 7 (45 views)
Shortcut
I really loved this show way back when [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree, the ending was just egregiously awfully you've-got-to-be-kiddingly Wrong. But I suspect a new version will sacrifice story and character and emphasize whizz-bang special effects instead. And it will probably be even darker than the original---and I suspect the original would be too dark for my current tastes.

It's going to be hard to pull this off without Paul Darrow's Avon, too.

But I could be wrong on all counts! We shall see...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 1:49am

Post #4 of 7 (49 views)
Shortcut
Is that back on the rails again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was watching the news about the remake/continuation that Paul Darrow was involved with some years ago until the negotiations fell apart but I hadn't heard that they were still trying to bring it off. Of course, this sounds like a total remake which I don't have a lot of confidence in. It would be very hard to recapture the dynamic that made the original work, I think. And I don't envy another actor the job of trying to reach the Himalayan peaks of snark that Paul Darrow's Avon established. Laugh

The first episode I ever saw was the one where Avon seriously considers throwing Vila off the shuttle in flight to enable it to achieve orbit. I had no trouble at all believing that he'd do it - which was a total contrast to all the sci-fi I'd seen to that point and made it clear that this was not a clean, shiny, or heroic black-and-white sort of show. However much one hates the ending, you have to admit it's memorable...and even in character for the ever-increasingly paranoid Avon. It does stick with you.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 4:16am

Post #5 of 7 (42 views)
Shortcut
Relive the experience on YouTube....... [In reply to] Can't Post

including How to make a Teleport Bracelet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BR4jgCFAc

WARNING: it doesn't actually work.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 2:47pm

Post #6 of 7 (25 views)
Shortcut
Never say never... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It can't better the original.

Chances are that it won't improve on the original (except in terms of production values and special effects), but you can never be sure.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 2:55pm

Post #7 of 7 (12 views)
Shortcut
Hee Hee- this took me back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember my friend and I making teleport bracelets, but our own design! I seem to remember the very small cylindrical bricks (red) from my brother's Lego being purloined for this- to make the buttons. I also had some exotic looking curling tongs, which resembled the Blake's Seven weapons quite closely, so that was also used. I seem to recall having some kind of fangirl thing about Tarrant- but I had a better excuse then, since I was only 13!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.