Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #11
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 1:23am

Post #26 of 48 (264 views)
Shortcut
I'd give it a go [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We've got 19 chapters total, and this is just Quiz 11, so 8 more to go after this one. And there *is* another chapter in the book after this one!

Once these are over, I might be persuaded to do another round of SAST quizzes -- covering LOTR, if there's enough interest! Those will keep us busy for quite a while. Smile

Lets do this. :)

batik
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 1:36am

Post #27 of 48 (252 views)
Shortcut
11 ! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Where did Bilbo find himself, when he finally awoke from having been knocked unconscious?
On the battlefield...behind a rock?

2. Thorin, on his deathbed, says it would be a merrier world if more people valued what above hoarded gold? [He names three specific things: name at least two for credit.]
Food and drink

3. Who or what appeared at the end of the Battle of Five Armies, finally turning the tide of battle and securing victory for the Dwarves, Elves, and Men?
EAGLES!

4. What does Bilbo give the Elvenking at their final parting?
a jewel

5. Fill in the blank [Bilbo speaking]: So comes snow after fire, and even ________ have their ending.
adventures

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 1:44am

Post #28 of 48 (275 views)
Shortcut
Try 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole poem bits messed with me last week. Need to bounce back this week.

1. He found himself laying flat on the ground at ravenhill

2. Food, cheer, and song

3. Beorn

4. Pearl necklace

5. Dragons

Nira
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 3:08am

Post #29 of 48 (259 views)
Shortcut
#11 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Where did Bilbo find himself, when he finally awoke from having been knocked unconscious?
Invisible and alone lying on a rock near the battlefield
That sounds so poetic!

2. Thorin, on his deathbed, says it would be a merrier world if more people valued what above hoarded gold? [He names three specific things: name at least two for credit.]

food and good cheer
...except gold can buy food and good cheer, so...just saying...save for retirement and invest wisely Wink

3. Who or what appeared at the end of the Battle of Five Armies, finally turning the tide of battle and securing victory for the Dwarves, Elves, and Men?
Beorn
Not to be out-heroed, the Eagles decided to go all out in LOTR and beat Beorn for number of saves.

Pearl necklace with jewels or something on it
An odd and gaudy gift, but it's the thought that counts.

5. Fill in the blank [Bilbo speaking]: So comes snow after fire, and even ________ have their ending.

heroes?
Thorin's locks

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Nira
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 3:11am

Post #30 of 48 (250 views)
Shortcut
Yeeessss! *in Gimli voice* [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 4:07am

Post #31 of 48 (257 views)
Shortcut
Here goes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alone on the battlefield...just him and the rocks. And dead people.

Food, laughter and a good plumbing system.

De plane, de plane! (Well, actually the Eagles, but that's sort of how I always think it should be said.) Also, Beorn cracking a few goblin heads didn't hurt.

The necklace Thorin gave him. It didn't go with his earrings.

Unexpected trilogies

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 4:09am

Post #32 of 48 (255 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't tell NZStrider! He might not approve. LaughLaughLaugh

Not that I am trying to bride the Quizmistress....

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 4:10am

Post #33 of 48 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love more SAST! Cool

Silverlode

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 6:46am

Post #34 of 48 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please [In reply to] Can't Post

More SAST quizzes would be lovely Smile

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 7:34am

Post #35 of 48 (227 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sador... [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry to hear about your friends and colleagues. That's rough, and I fully sympathize. The university at which Mr. Ro (and me too, sometimes) teaches is facing yet another round of restructuring with resultant redundancies to be made. Some of his colleagues are sure to be let go, and we keep our fingers crossed that he won't be on that list too. Enduring the uncertainty is probably the hardest part!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 7:36am

Post #36 of 48 (245 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're offering to bride me with that? Gosh, that's a tempting offer... LaughCoolLaugh

*peeks over shoulder to see if NZS notices* Good thing he usually has his nose buried in the Reading Room. Usually. I guess this is a test! Cool

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Apr 10 2013, 7:40am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 1:39pm

Post #37 of 48 (239 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! Oh boy that's one heck of a typo....!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't tell NZStrider! He might not approve. LaughLaughLaugh

Not that I am trying to bride the Quizmistress....

Wow the power of one letter...........!!!!!!! (Didn't even see it, was too distracted by the "briBe" picture apparently!Evil)

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 1:43pm

Post #38 of 48 (235 views)
Shortcut
An awfah ya can't refooose.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

In Reply To

You're offering to bride me with that? Gosh, that's a tempting offer... LaughCoolLaugh

*peeks over shoulder to see if NZS notices* Good thing he usually has his nose buried in the Reading Room. Usually. I guess this is a test! Cool

ROFL..........Crazy

OMG Ro I looked at it quite a few times and didn't even see it.........well that takes quiz bribing to a whole new level doesn't it now!!!!??? Cool

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 10 2013, 1:44pm)

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 2:37pm

Post #39 of 48 (226 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing like a quiz to break up the morning... [In reply to] Can't Post

(and thanks for the welcome back on last week's answers)

1. On top of a hill
2. Food and laughter
3. The Eagles -- Of course as EVERYone knows, goblins love the song Hotel California. Upon hearing the Eagles strike up, they all linked arms for a little singalong, allowing Beorn to shred them as they swayed.
4. A necklace of silver and pearls. (And my phone number to pass on to his son.)
5. Dragons

Do you know what's sad? I just read this book in November and I can't remember any of these things.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 2:50pm

Post #40 of 48 (226 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, and Brethil, and Ro [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still at the same desk. In fact, someone senior once told me I am the one person which the company can't afford to sack - but he himself lost his job this week, as did no. 2 on his list.
At the moment we are a bit shaken, trying to look forward while missing those who have left, on both personal and practical levels. It is painful, and a bit worrying for some who are still afraid of another round. And as we never were a large company, I know a bit of those people's families... it's a real shame. I hope they find a new place soon.

Thank you for your sympathy!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 10:43pm

Post #41 of 48 (231 views)
Shortcut
*girds self* oh boy... here goes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for these SASTs, Ro :) What a journey this has been so far. Soon we'll be going howm :)

Laying on the ground, still with the Ring on, hidden from help.

It's such a truly wonderful line... valuing food, cheer and song... for the child of the kindly West.

Someone I pray shows up in precisely this manner... Beorn in bear form... grown to giant size in his wrath. *goosebumps*

An incredible necklace

Dragons... especially that one who seemed like an eternal terror.

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Apr 11 2013, 12:01am

Post #42 of 48 (211 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #11 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Alone where he had been during the fighting
2. Food and home
3. Beorn
4. The secret formula for Thorin's shampoo
5. Dragons

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

ryouko
Lorien

Apr 11 2013, 1:40am

Post #43 of 48 (203 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Back home in bed. He heard the shower running. He went to the shower and saw Frodo there. It had all been a dream!

2. Shampoo, conditioner, and styling gel.

3. The bean counters arrived and said that they were downsizing, and many of the Orcs had to be "let go". Since those Orcs weren't going to get paid, they left.

4. Thorin's shampoo and conditioner. Then the Elvenking could have majestic hair too!

5. slashfics

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 11 2013, 3:02am

Post #44 of 48 (226 views)
Shortcut
This oughta be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. In a cot on a platform floating in the middle of the Long Lake. His hand had been in a bowl of water as well but he had rolled over before it had any effect. Rolling over also smeared the strange bearded things the dwarves had drawn on his face.

2. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Wait that's four things. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings. Wait that's five. Why can't I remember what I'm supposed to remember? Aha! One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer... oh, that's not very likely.

3. After the Arkenstone was cast into the fire, the Lonely Mountain collapsed sending a shock wave, or something, that killed everyone, apart from the good guys and this chaotic neutral bear that happened to be in the neighbourhood.

4. String or nothing.

5. So comes snow after fire (ed. what the heck is that supposed to mean?), and even pants have their ending.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 11 2013, 3:04am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 3:01am

Post #45 of 48 (190 views)
Shortcut
***QUIZ CLOSED*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers & Results when I can get a Round Tuit!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 5:00am

Post #46 of 48 (190 views)
Shortcut
Umm... may I [In reply to] Can't Post

claim the Thorin's hair double-bonus for week 10? I really did it this time, honest I did!

And I just gotta say, not getting to the SAST quiz before it closes for the week belongs on a top-ten list of signs your life is too busy!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 10:17am

Post #47 of 48 (198 views)
Shortcut
*facepalm* [In reply to] Can't Post

Arghhh...Blush Of course! That *was* supposed to be a double-IEC! Thanks for pointing out the error. Honestly, I'm not doing this on purpose! Last time I really did have the spreadsheet correct; this time I obviously recorded the wrong thing in the spreadsheet. Apologies! Spreadsheet fixed now. And muchos gracias for the Thorin's Hair answers. *grin*

And if you haven't peeked at others' answers (I realize, probably not likely): PM me. I've been known to grant extensions. Wink

Sorry to hear it's been a hectic week. Hope the weekend treats you better!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 7:42pm

Post #48 of 48 (190 views)
Shortcut
No worries [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been know to resemble those remarks over on the Walk to Rivendell... Blush

Well, I haven't had time to peek at everyone else's answers, but I don't stand a chance with the questions this week. It's been too long since I read the whole book! Thanks, anyway, and I'll do better next week!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.