Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
For the most part, I don't keep books I've read.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 9 2013, 11:14pm

Views: 196
Shortcut
For the most part, I don't keep books I've read. [In reply to] Can't Post

The exceptions are:

Tolkien books - I have quite a few books about Tolkien and books of Tolkien inspired art. I try to keep art books in one spot, books by Tolkien in another spot. And books about Tolkien in another. But things are all kind of mish mash and crammed in where ever there is room on the shelves.

I don't collect multiple copies of Tolkien books. I just don't have the room. I will say, though. There are multiple copies in my possession waiting for a home. I can't just get rid of them so they're biding the time when someone expresses an interest. Or I just *have* to have more room. I sent 3 boxes of Tolkien stuff - including books - home with TORnsib, Hobbit love. :-)

Books I intend to read - some of these I might never get to but they're there if I want them. Maybe a dozen plus another gaggle of Dresden Files I got for Christmas.

Books on design - mostly graphic design - and a few craft type books. I have a lot of origami books and a few doll making books.

Harry Potter - I have all of them in hardcover including a few auxiliary books (Tale of Beedle the Bard, etc) and one copy of the English version of one of them.

Folk tales, especially from Celtic nations and some from Scandinavia/Nordic countries. - I have maybe a dozen in this collection.

Books that have some affection for. There's less than a dozen but they include books that belonged to my mother when she was young, the first novel that spoke to me on a deeper level (Childhood's End by Clarke) and War for the Oaks, a novel set in my city and is a pretty darn good story if I say so myself. Many of the magical areas in the book are ones I was drawn to when I first moved here.

Children's picture books. I used to read children's picture books for a living and I grew exceptionally fond of many of them. When I lost that position, I gave away or sold many, many, many of them. Some with a sorrowful heart. I'm clinging to another hundred or so but I'm not sure what for. Neither of my sons show any inkling of becoming parents. One is marrying a woman who says she never wants children and the other seems comfortable with the bachelor life.

Many of these are just lovely books but I have sub-collections of children's books about:
dance and dancing, especially folk dancing
books you 'sing'
May Day and other cultural folk traditions, esp. seasonal ones
folk tales, myths, and legends

I figure, over the years, I've owned easily a 1,000 children's books. But now I might have 200-300 left. Some are on shelves but many are in boxes.

Most of all these books are in my computer room (which isn't large). Some are on a shelf in the hall outside my room. A few are on a shelf in my bedroom (oops.. forgot about the two shelves of old Golden Books in the bedroom). And I have 2-3 bankers boxes filled with children's books. The dollmaking books are on the front porch which is my craft supply room.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Subject User Time
personal libraries Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 9 2013, 9:19pm
    I have no idea how many books I have... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Apr 9 2013, 9:59pm
    We have many books... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Apr 9 2013, 10:28pm
    For the most part, I don't keep books I've read. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 9 2013, 11:14pm
    More than some people think I need sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Apr 9 2013, 11:40pm
        My sister has the set of Trixie Belden we grew up with :-) // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 9 2013, 11:41pm
            I didn't have to share... only girl. However sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Apr 9 2013, 11:46pm
    Many books fall into the category of Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Apr 9 2013, 11:46pm
    I'm guessing I have about 500 books Annael Send a private message to Annael Apr 10 2013, 2:47am
    My personal library is a mess. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 10 2013, 3:37am
    I've been weeding... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Apr 10 2013, 5:06am
        I demand Starling Send a private message to Starling Apr 10 2013, 7:33am
            I have half a shelf of dog books Annael Send a private message to Annael Apr 10 2013, 3:18pm
            we need to start one.... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Apr 10 2013, 6:59pm
    Great idea for a thread! Eruwestial37 Send a private message to Eruwestial37 Apr 10 2013, 5:30am
    I have a small bookshelf. Luinnár Send a private message to Luinnár Apr 10 2013, 11:53am
    Too many sherlock Send a private message to sherlock Apr 10 2013, 1:14pm
    yikes! batik Send a private message to batik Apr 11 2013, 12:06am
    Rough estimate: 2200 books Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Apr 11 2013, 1:09am
        Addendum: When we moved into this house 22 years ago Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Apr 11 2013, 1:21am
            Over a thousand hard covers at last count... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Apr 11 2013, 6:08am
    So many that I have no room for them anymore Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Apr 11 2013, 1:10pm
        we have a second-hand bookstore that buys back books Annael Send a private message to Annael Apr 11 2013, 2:54pm
            I take them to our church's rummage sale every summer Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Apr 11 2013, 4:27pm
    Space is the limiting factor... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 11 2013, 2:45pm
    I took a long stick of thin firewood silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 11 2013, 4:26pm
    Definitely varied Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Apr 11 2013, 6:18pm
    When two book lovers combine households Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 11 2013, 10:59pm
        3,000 books lining the walls = great home insulation. ;) / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 11 2013, 11:21pm
        I can agree on the kid's books entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Apr 12 2013, 1:49am
    Mine Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Apr 13 2013, 5:34am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.