Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Manu Bennett
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 2:13am

Post #26 of 38 (586 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping one day we get the definitive Azog/Bolg/Yazneg explanation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, can we safely say that Azog was originally only at Azanulbizar, and his expansion to more of a main villain role was the primary reason for casting Manu Bennett and beefing up the character with a CGI design?

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 8:25am

Post #27 of 38 (580 views)
Shortcut
On the rumour [In reply to] Can't Post

The rumour originated from from the recent Hobbitcon. It's bunk, so don't worry about it. The director has confirmed we will see more of Azog in all three films. And now Bennett himself has confirmed that. I think I'll take their word over the ramblings of a panel that was held on April Fools day. No offence to the guy who said that stuff, of course. I'm sure he was just having a good time pulling everyone's leg.

To top it all off, the imdb page also lists Bennett/Azog in all three films. Rumour busted as far as I'm concerned.

On a more speculative note, I recognized the look in PJ's eyes when we were shown the Azog mocap during the recent live preview. That's the look of a kid playing with his new favourite action figure. Jackson loves Azog.... probably way too much! And he is going to use him as a wrench in the works wherever he can. He's probably even ordered script revisions specifically to accommodate his new toy, and is doing all the non-speaking mocap he can do without Manu Bennett until the next block. The upcoming block of shooting will probably be where he implements the revisions. And the producers and the studio execs are game because Azog is great looking villain that they can merchandise very easily.

I've thought this issue through quite thoroughly, and my conclusion is Azog is in it for the long run. So don't worry about it! Smile

On the voice of Azog, I think I caught a glimpse of a microphone hovering in front of MB during a behind the scenes snippet. It looked like the mocap of the Amon Sul scene to me. I think they record him doing the dialogue and beef up and modify his voice during post-production, similar to how Vader's voice was done. Hopefully, we'll get more MB behind the scenes stuff before the end of the trilogy.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 7 2013, 8:57am

Post #28 of 38 (551 views)
Shortcut
IMDB can be edited by anyone ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That really isn't evidence. We have conflicting reports that he dies in DOS, but is also in TABA. As said above, this could be true - Azog might appear in TABA via flashback, or even ... as a zombie ...

I don't think either rumour is "bunked" until we have more evidence.

I do love all this speculation though. Cool

Discussions would be a bit boring if Azog had died at Moria.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 9:06am

Post #29 of 38 (544 views)
Shortcut
point taken [In reply to] Can't Post

Not bunk then, but highly questionable information at the very best.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2013, 9:48am

Post #30 of 38 (547 views)
Shortcut
Also, the quote from Jackson is taken from the MTV "Rough Cut" video clips... [In reply to] Can't Post

which, although they only surfaced on here recently, seem to have been made at the time of the film's release, when Jackson would have been anticipating Azog being a critical success. One can speculate that the mixed reception CGI Azog received might be prompting the team to rethink how much more Azog they give us in the next two films!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 12:54pm

Post #31 of 38 (539 views)
Shortcut
" Azog is in it for the long run. So don't worry about it!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what worries me.

MadUnsure

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 8 2013, 12:41am

Post #32 of 38 (512 views)
Shortcut
Wicked! Tricksy! False! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think it's beginning to look like it's a bogus rumour. For one thing, as far as I know no one else has come forward to confirm these supposed spoilers. And surely this would have generated more buzz by now? Surely more than one person attended that Hobbitcon panel? Anyway, I think what really gave it away was that Tauriel part. There's no way they'd put in a silly subplot like that. No way. Crazy

So Azog was shown during the live preview? (I missed it. Frown) Okay, now I'm curious! Was there any indication of what kind of scene they were filming or where the action was taking place?

Thanks for the info regarding Azog's voice as well. Since it's so characteristic I thought he would have a dedicated voice actor, but if MB does his voice as well that's awesome. Looks like Azog's in good hands. Cool

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 8 2013, 8:31am

Post #33 of 38 (477 views)
Shortcut
I missed it too... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's the internets. Wink I won't link anything here or respond to PMs on the matter, so nobody get any funny ideas. Just look hard enough, and you will find it floating around out there somewhere. Anyway, a guy called Chris was doing some Azog mocap for film two. He was about to spill the beans when PJ quickly silenced him. Tongue

Jed Brophy also gave some free advice to the Azog performer...

Jed: Put more anger into it. Yeah, more anger!

PJ (looking amused): Thank you, Jed. That's very good...

Laugh

Here is the video where I said I saw the microphone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSVQ4fdmpI

I'm just making educated guesswork on the voice, but it seems logical that they would use MB's voice work as base and then modify it during post-production.

(This post was edited by axecrazy on Apr 8 2013, 8:32am)

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 8 2013, 5:50pm

Post #34 of 38 (451 views)
Shortcut
Also, you may have missed the Azog slogan thread [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=587202;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Check it out. You might get a laugh out of it. Wink

Lio
Lorien

Apr 9 2013, 1:25am

Post #35 of 38 (443 views)
Shortcut
Azog mocap scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I've seen the scene in question. (Um, let's not discuss how. Angelic)

My first impression was "What the heck are they doing?" but upon rewatching it I can think deduce what's going on. (So much for PJ's spoiler-gagging. Wink) So, basically, there's an Orc loosing a couple of arrows at something as Azog watches on. Then Azog pushes the Orc down, takes something from his back, and throws it in the same direction as the Orc was firing.

So, what's going on? A battle? Or maybe... a training session? I like to think it's the latter! It seems that the Orc is shooting at something and missing. Then Azog gets annoyed, grabs the Orc's knife, and throws it right at whatever he was firing at. If that's how it goes down, it seems like a great scene and character moment!

Thanks for that mini documentary video as well. I've seen it before but never noticed the microphone. Guess there's something new to look for each time! As an aside, I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that they changed the Azog design. And it makes all the complaints about Azog's CGI surprising to me. :: points to Yazneg :: C'mon people, don't tell me that this looks better! Crazy

Orcs are mammals!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 9 2013, 1:25am

Post #36 of 38 (441 views)
Shortcut
Most entertaining! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that. I totally want those on a t-shirt now. Laugh

Orcs are mammals!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 9 2013, 7:41am

Post #37 of 38 (435 views)
Shortcut
Good call on the mocap scene [In reply to] Can't Post

They're either fighting the Woodland Elves or they're training. In either case it looks like Azzy (yes. Azzy. nobody will give me any grief, if they know what's good for them Evil) becomes irritated with the incompetence of his Orc minion, clobbers the guy, grabs his knife (or some weapon), and then throws at the offending enemy... and probably nails the poor guy.

Very Azog indeed. Sly

Lio
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 12:38am

Post #38 of 38 (438 views)
Shortcut
Fighting versus training, and another possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I thought it was a fight scene, but the way Azzy (hah! Laugh) is pacing around and gesturing made me think it's some kind of target practice (otherwise he'd be fighting too).

I do wonder what he's throwing, since we don't actually see the weapon. At first I thought knife, but he takes it from the Orc's upper back which doesn't seem like a convenient place for such a weapon. Maybe he's actually grabbing an arrow from the guy's quiver? And throwing it with such force that it still manages to strike the target the way a bow would? This is the kind of wonderfully over-the-top thing I've come to expect from PJ's Azog. Wink

Or maybe... there is no weapon. And he's throwing the air. And still kills whatever he's aiming at. Because he's Azog.

Orcs are mammals!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.