Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
independent UK interview with Richard Armitage
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 6:31pm

Post #1 of 52 (1790 views)
Shortcut
independent UK interview with Richard Armitage Can't Post

A small bit on the Hobbit.http://www.independent.co.uk/...popular-8558685.html

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 52 (818 views)
Shortcut
weird [In reply to] Can't Post

what a really odd interview. i really dont like the way he comes across in this.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 7 2013, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 52 (778 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if you would elaborate [In reply to] Can't Post

On what you found "weird" and what you didn't like?

I wonder if this is the first time we read about his more personal interests and opinions.. I think it was for me.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 9:40pm

Post #4 of 52 (748 views)
Shortcut
I'm a really shy person and I hate it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a really crippling aspect of my life and it can be really hard at times... so it means a lot to me when shy people become successful like this. I gotta say though, Armitage never struck me as shy.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 52 (782 views)
Shortcut
why.. [In reply to] Can't Post

well aside from the creepy photo, its an odd piece, it doesnt read as an interview its more of a short essay about himself written by him.

he sort of distances himself from everything e.g cant break character, doesnt want to do another fx film, prefers to be on camera than being interviewed, to shy to talk about myself,

then turns into mr perfect 'i hate selfish people,im a rugged skier man, i want to save the planets resources!!!!

maybe a bit up his own bottom?

i am biased, ive never thought he has anything special about him or that he should play thorin.

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Apr 7 2013, 9:52pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 9:51pm

Post #6 of 52 (724 views)
Shortcut
Also, I think he has ginger eyebrows... is he ginger??!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 7 2013, 10:00pm

Post #7 of 52 (723 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice anything creepy about the photo. Just no smile.

The article is written differently than other interviews. It seems as if the just wrote his responses without the questions.

He does explain why he doesn't want to break character (fear he won't be able to get back into it), wants to do something without so much sfx (2 years doing sfx), etc.

No offense intended but it may be possible that your bias is coloring your reading of that interview. I had never heard of him before TH:AUJ so I don't think that I had a bias for / against.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 7 2013, 10:01pm

Post #8 of 52 (684 views)
Shortcut
Look light brown on my iPad/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 52 (732 views)
Shortcut
You don't like the way [In reply to] Can't Post

…he comes across in anything. Why bother constantly posting miserable, negative comments.

For the record, I like the interview.

In Reply To
what a really odd interview. i really dont like the way he comes across in this.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:18pm

Post #10 of 52 (714 views)
Shortcut
Shyness Explains it all [In reply to] Can't Post

If RA really is as shy as he says then all these answers make perfect sense. So not weird, just shy.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:24pm

Post #11 of 52 (709 views)
Shortcut
why? [In reply to] Can't Post

why bother posting, happy , positive ones? this is an open forum isnt it? thats the way the world works, ying and yang.

that was my opinion of the piece, and i was asked to elaborate,

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:25pm

Post #12 of 52 (677 views)
Shortcut
I liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also very shy so I can empathize with him in that aspect. You can tell he's not all for sharing much of his personal life outside of work, which I can totally respect. Too many celebrities shove their lives in our faces these days; it's nice to see an actor who can keep his personal life and public life separate (shyness works to his advantage here). Smile

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:26pm

Post #13 of 52 (672 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If RA really is as shy as he says then all these answers make perfect sense. So not weird, just shy.

A lot of actors are actually shy and I do think he comes across that way a bit, he can often seem rather bashful in interviews. Talkative enough in interviews of course(but that doesn't necessarily have to do with not being shy, as a shy person I know that often once you get started you almost can't stop, maybe because you're kind of afraid you won't get started again:))

I think he was probably sent questions, to which he had write his answers back in email and they just didn't include the questions.

As for his hair, looking at really old pictures of him, like his high school picture, his natural hair color seems to be a medium brown with some red in it and I've noticed that a lot of people with that combo often have slightly lighter eyebrows.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:27pm

Post #14 of 52 (659 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like something the enemy would say ;D // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:29pm

Post #15 of 52 (655 views)
Shortcut
Didn't wanna sound shocked at him being ginger. It's just funny that Thorin dyes his beard // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:30pm

Post #16 of 52 (639 views)
Shortcut
So many shy Tolkien fans! I feel less alone :'D // [In reply to] Can't Post

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:35pm

Post #17 of 52 (641 views)
Shortcut
You are not alone :'D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love being shy. Because sometimes the obnoxious, too personable people drive me nuts!

Also, regarding RA's hair...my fiance has dishwater blond-colored hair but a rather reddish beard, so it's possible Richard has some strange hair color gene confusion going on as well Laugh

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 10:39pm

Post #18 of 52 (655 views)
Shortcut
Remember. ALL opinions are welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't like what someone says, just ignore it. If you think their comment violates our Terms of Service, contact an admin.

Negative opinions are just as valid as positive, and jimmyfenn was respectful in his response. You don't need to like it, but you do need allow him to state his opinion without demeaning it.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:45pm

Post #19 of 52 (664 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish there was an ignore function on this forum. It would be really helpful in a couple of cases and would make corresponding with people so much more enjoyable. I have no problem at all with constructive criticism (and have some myself), but when something gets repeated constantly, it does become tiresome.

I'll practise patience in future and jump irksome posts.

Thanks.

In Reply To
If you don't like what someone says, just ignore it. If you think their comment violates our Terms of Service, contact an admin.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 7 2013, 10:47pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:51pm

Post #20 of 52 (648 views)
Shortcut
oi [In reply to] Can't Post

it was not an irksome post, it was my opinion!

just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it less valid.

when i hear 'repeated' love and praise of RA as thorin it irks me but i dont tell them to stop going on about it.

i dont even criticise him repeatedly.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:59pm

Post #21 of 52 (649 views)
Shortcut
Unnecessary [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela said she'd ignore posts in future, leave it at that. I understand you're annoyed, but there's no need to keep badgering people after the matter has been resolved

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Apr 7 2013, 11:00pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 11:08pm

Post #22 of 52 (629 views)
Shortcut
huh [In reply to] Can't Post

me badgering, are you joking?

she did say shed ignore in future, but she also managed to call my opinions irksome AGAIN, as well as tiring , another little dig that wasnt called.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 11:31pm

Post #23 of 52 (628 views)
Shortcut
Enough, guys. [In reply to] Can't Post

Going back and forth on this won't improve the discussion thread. Leave this sub-thread to die here and please get back to the main discussion topic.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 12:00am

Post #24 of 52 (620 views)
Shortcut
A lot of actors are shy [In reply to] Can't Post

also usually the really good ones are unaware of how talented they really are. Being able to get out of your own way, to set your ego aside, makes embracing a character's persona easier I think. It's counter-intuitive, but humility goes a long way in the acting profession.

Regarding the photo: If Hitchcock were still alive and making movies, he would cast Armitage.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 12:10am

Post #25 of 52 (607 views)
Shortcut
So you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an amazingly talented actor! Yay!! I could be the next Doctor! Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.