Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
at your service...NOT!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:37am

Post #1 of 13 (429 views)
Shortcut
at your service...NOT! Can't Post

more cartoons from Mirthwood...

Someone else has also done a canine version of several of the Hobbit characters (notably Bilbo as a Corgi), I thought of this before I saw those, inspired by my Siberians (and one hobbit husky, a Schipperke) and their attitude. When I had it sketched out, I found this puppy pic posted on my tumblr...

http://swordwhale3.tumblr.com/post/46650028436/swordwhale-smoshbuscustv-posted-this-adorable

Go outside and play...

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 8:59am

Post #2 of 13 (263 views)
Shortcut
You've got their characters nailed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili can't stop wiggling and talking.
Fili is, indeed, Majesty in Training.
Hair color and stache - perfect.

I haven't mentioned it before, but you do have some very funny stuff here, Swordwhale. Keep sharing, please.Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 1:21pm

Post #3 of 13 (250 views)
Shortcut
you're fun // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 8:00pm

Post #4 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
thanks folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Go outside and play...

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 11:28pm

Post #5 of 13 (277 views)
Shortcut
as someone who has had three siberians... [In reply to] Can't Post

"at your service" = "for golden retrievers" is extremely funny.

+loved+ my siberians. still love siberians.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 1:56am

Post #6 of 13 (206 views)
Shortcut
sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have three Siberians (and have had several others in the last couple of decades... the first got my goat (the goat was fine and was rehomed, I kept the dog)... I usually recommend Goldens to people who admire my Sibes, they some when called, Siberians take a message and get back to you...maybe.

The Hobbit husky, (Schipperke), was given to me by a friend... pretty much like a 60 pound Siberian stuffed into a 16 pound sack.

I was really wondering if anyone would get the Siberian reference! (the Kili reference, yes, the Sibe thing... you gotta know them!)

Go outside and play...

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 11:57am

Post #7 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
Love the puns! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should doggify Middle-earth characters according to the right breed. It's so much fun.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 3:34pm

Post #8 of 13 (178 views)
Shortcut
the Caninization of Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

cannon, bookcannon, filmcannon, headcannon, cannine...

There are some breeds that would work well for some races, and others that would work well for specific characters. Some brainfarts...

Elves: Greyhounds, sighthounds in general, Afghans, Borzois, Salukis... also some of the swifter, leaner, quicker Shepherd or northern types: Malenois, Alaskan huskies, racing Siberians... maybe the lean fast hounds: German Shorthair Pointers (excel at skijoring: they can run on snow, like Legolas), Weimaraners...

Dwarves: anything short and stout (yeah, I used Siberians, it fit the characters): bulldogs, pitbulls (who excel at weight pulling and babysitting), Australian cattle dogs (attitude, toughness)...

Hobbits: any small herding breed: Corgis, Schipperkes... maybe spaniels (very family friendly)...

Not sure where that leaves Bichon Frisee... frisbee... fricasee...

(probably, like Hobbits, tougher than they look)

Some, like mastiffs and Irish Wolfhounds are harder to place... Gandalf? Beorn?

And what's Aragorn (OK, I knew two Siberians named Strider).

Go outside and play...

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 2:54pm

Post #9 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
Good joke...let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Also suffering from some cranial flatulence at the moment...

I think a Chinese Crested would be a very good Gollum; if only in looks.

Corgis would be good hobbits; dachshunds are a bit of a problem. They'd either be dwarves or hobbits, but very truculent ones. Rather dwarves, then. Maybe beagles could be hobbits, or some very friendly mixed breeds - you know, those fluffy ones that are crosses of at least four breeds. Yorkshire terriers, Jack Russell, maltese. Sam is a bit too small, but a Saint Bernard would fit so well with his personality.

I wonder what orcs would be - Bull terriers, maybe. A goblin would be a pug, and an Uruk a Rottweiler. Not personality - wise, though.

Adding to elves - Legolas as a Cocker Spaniel. I cannot think of Galadriel as a dog - only a cat. Rivendell elves could be Great Danes, Whippets,, Greyhounds.

A Chow could be a good Beorn.

That's all I can think of. I love dogs.

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Apr 6 2013, 2:56pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 2:57pm

Post #10 of 13 (187 views)
Shortcut
I agree about hobbits as canines, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is funny but I have thought the same thing as you ... slightly ...

I remember comparing Fox Terriers to Tooks in character at one point.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 10:43am

Post #11 of 13 (170 views)
Shortcut
Fox Terriers would make brilliant Tooks [In reply to] Can't Post

All the Fox Terriers I've known were very adventurous.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 4:35pm

Post #12 of 13 (231 views)
Shortcut
Jack Russel terriers... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've known a few, and they are Pure Tough thrown into a ten pound sack. Also congenial and kind, but tough. One I know named PT is, like Thorin, king of all he surveys... and that includes dogs ten times his size.

I thought of hyenas for orcs, but then the poor hyena gets no respect and it is a perfectly lovely animal...

probably some mutated "designer dog" should be the orcs...

Go outside and play...

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 5:44am

Post #13 of 13 (187 views)
Shortcut
Mutated "designer dogs" would fit well into the orc origin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a pekingese with some of his teeth protruding from his mouth. He'd make a good orc, but he's too good-natured to be one.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.