Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ through the eyes of eager children
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2013, 11:35pm

Post #1 of 121 (1383 views)
Shortcut
AUJ through the eyes of eager children Can't Post

My young boys (Eldarion, age 7, and Little Eldarion, age 5) just had their first chance to watch AUJ (with a fair few bits censored, of course). They’ve REALLY been looking forward to getting to see it and were utterly wriggly with excitement. I thought I’d share some of their reactions; it’s easy for us old folk to forget what it might be like to see the movie through the eyes of children. I’ve read the book straight through once with them about six months ago (they loved it), and we’ve read parts of it a number of times since then.

With just one exception (where I pointed out Fili’s shovel), everything they said was spontaneous and unsolicited. NZ Toddler (19 months) joined us for parts and was apparently riveted too – she also had a couple of comments.

Little Eldarion (LE) got out his Hobbit Movie book as the Dwarves started arriving at Bag End so that he could easily match names and faces.

Eldarion (E), in shock, of Dwalin: “He’s eating Bilbo’s dinner!”

LE, also of Dwalin: “Dwalin was so naughty when he ate Bilbo’s dinner!”

E, in shock again, of the Dwarves in Bag End: “They’re having a food fight!”

NZ Toddler (NZT), seeing the massive feast set out by the Dwarves: *gigglegigglegiggle* She loves food!

Both boys laughed at the belching.

The boys spent a good minute discussing with each other whether they themselves would go on the Adventure, if they could. (They both agreed yes, they would.)

Both boys LOVE Bilbo’s excitement as he runs through Hobbiton. They also LOVE the bunny sled, every time it’s on screen.

NZT, on seeing the bunny sled: *gigglegigglegigglegiggle*

E, after Galadriel tells Gandalf “If you should ever need my help, I will come”: “I wonder how THAT magic works?”

E, on Fili’s shovel (seen on his back after they leave Rivendell): “Oh, it must be for shovelling snow – look at all that snow in the mountains!”

E, on seeing Bilbo’s sword glowing blue for the first time, just after the heart-to-heart with Bofur: “OH MY GOODNESS! It’s glowing blue!”

E, on the first bits of Goblin-town: “This is actually not so scary.” And then: “These goblins are not good builders, I can tell.”

E, on the Great Goblin: “His chin makes him look like he has a beard!”

E, when Thorin hugs Bilbo: a very sincere “Awwwwww…”

E, on the first view of the distant Lonely Mountain: “Wow! There it is!”

E, after the Dwarves see the thrush: “I think it was a sign too. Durin’s Day must be coming near!”

And then, when Smaug’s nose blows out of the mound of treasure: Both boys JUMPED.

My general observation was that they got a little bored or fidgety with the talky bits – the character moments that most of us older folk love so much. But any scene with more movement and less talking held their attention well. They were also captivated with Riddles in the Dark, and even the Pity of Bilbo scene.

And this brings me to a point I’ve seen made before: a lot of the bits I’ve seen most complained about here appealed greatly to my boys. I think PJ’s actually done a fabulous job of appealing to a very wide audience.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 11:43pm

Post #2 of 121 (629 views)
Shortcut
this is fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks so much for sharing. : )

"for snow" --- awesome.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 11:45pm

Post #3 of 121 (610 views)
Shortcut
Priceless [In reply to] Can't Post

This is absolutely adorable, thanks for the new perspective! Those are bright little children. I don't have kids myself, but for them to remember hearing "Durin's Day" and know its relevance (pleasantly) surprises me! Smile

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 121 (607 views)
Shortcut
How wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great perspective! I love how "E" and "LE" are shocked at Dwalin's table manners (or lack thereof)! But my favorite part is "gigglegigglegiggle" Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Apr 7 2013, 12:02am

Post #5 of 121 (657 views)
Shortcut
We've seen a thread like this before. [In reply to] Can't Post

When one must use their children's reactions as an argument vouching for the quality of a film, it comes off as an exploitative last-ditch attempt. Kids also liked the Smurfs.
Not saying it's a bad film--I quite liked The Hobbit, despite my troll posts in which I completely bash it. But don't think that the opinions of young children are more valuable than educated professionals who know film. Even when you don't share their opinions.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 12:12am

Post #6 of 121 (634 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the 80s cartoon or the 2011 movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to enjoy the Smurfs back in the day. It was one of the only medieval-ly, fantasy shows around back then. Can't vouch for the movie though... the poster with Papa Smurf front and centre wearing Wayfarers and his arms crossed killed any chance I would see it.

By the way, the rest of your post is rubbish, and not very nice.

Mybear
Bree

Apr 7 2013, 12:20am

Post #7 of 121 (609 views)
Shortcut
you named your children eldarion and little eldarion? [In reply to] Can't Post

is that for real or just a joke? Unimpressed

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 12:21am

Post #8 of 121 (582 views)
Shortcut
Lets us appoint children to the academy [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 7 2013, 12:21am

Post #9 of 121 (590 views)
Shortcut
Children's praise of AUJ is the highest praise of all [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit was written for children, and to ignore them as an audience would be a great disservice to Tolkien's legacy. PJ had to walk a fine line in making the movies appeal to adults (the paying audience) as well as children, the original intended audience. Those who were expecting another LoTR or perhaps a movie based on video games may be disappointed, as The Lord of the Rings is the grown-up continuation of the childhood of The Hobbit. In this case, children are as much professionals here as "educated" adults, and I feel their opinions are just as valid.

And yes, there have been other threads on this subject--including one I started way back in the good old days (OK, January), that you might consider giving a read. It may not change your mind--and that is cool! All opinions are welcome--but I still feel it is valid.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=565575;#565575

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 12:24am

Post #10 of 121 (582 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

SW is intended for kids...

A kid i know thinks episode 1 is the best film in the world...

Tongue

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Apr 7 2013, 12:28am

Post #11 of 121 (610 views)
Shortcut
SirDennis: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I used to enjoy the Smurfs back in the day. It was one of the only medieval-ly, fantasy shows around back then. Can't vouch for the movie though... the poster with Papa Smurf front and centre wearing Wayfarers and his arms crossed killed any chance I would see it.

By the way, the rest of your post is rubbish, and not very nice.

I meant the film.
And I didn't intend to come off so unkind--AUJ is geared towards kids, so I get that kids will love it. I just feel that some people on this forum try way too hard to convince each other how fantastically sublime this movie is, whether it'd be pointing out small details that nobody will notice, bad-mouthing critics for their opinions, or in this case, using children's reactions as an argument. It comes off as desperate.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 12:45am

Post #12 of 121 (550 views)
Shortcut
I see what you did there... [In reply to] Can't Post

*shakes fist*

Laugh

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 7 2013, 12:46am

Post #13 of 121 (555 views)
Shortcut
If kids like it then it is a good kids movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe TH:AUJ was aiming for a slightly broader audience than just kids. Maybe also overgrown kids. EvilAngelic

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 12:47am

Post #14 of 121 (541 views)
Shortcut
The complexity of doing a film for all ages [In reply to] Can't Post

I know.
It's more complex and difficult than we think.

Yeah, the most of people forget about there are quite different minds watching these movies (children, for example)

And
Certain age group is totally underrated, as I said in other post, these days media are not interested in children or elders as target, the media is filled with stuff only likeable to young adults, mostly.

Even movies like this, based on a tale basically written for children, tries to be less "childish" to be well received (successfully) by people of all ages and to me those are the best films. :)
They will be always the best films, and I mean that can incliude some best Oscar winners, the quality of a film also mean everybody can see that film and get something from that film..

No need to add disturbibg stuff and make the film R or more to be "mature", to have "quality", to when you can tell exactly the same story without the need of feeding young people's desire for "raw" scenes...
Because yeah, that's pretty much a matter of. very young, less sensitive people taste.

The Hobbit to me have a complex story to be considered a children tale (Narnia book are more likely to be childish) but it's very well balanced, so is the movie. I believe the first movie will be the most "slow" of the three, and comparing to LOTR way more easy for children to follow the story

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 1:06am

Post #15 of 121 (550 views)
Shortcut
They're as real as Roheryn's name. [In reply to] Can't Post

Roheryn is married to TORN board member NZStrider, hence the nicknames of their sons.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 1:07am

Post #16 of 121 (545 views)
Shortcut
Roheryn, on seeing Thorin: *gigglegigglegigglegiggle* [In reply to] Can't Post

;)

That was a delightful retelling, Ro. I have no children of that age around me and I enjoyed seeing moments of the film through their eyes (and I'm impressed they sat through such a long movie!).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:08am

Post #17 of 121 (579 views)
Shortcut
Aight -- [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you're saying, but It seems to me we ought not to call each other desperate, or whatever... nor to guess at each other's motives for starting a thread.

Some like the movie and every little thing about it; some hate everything about it; and then there's everyone in between. Sharing opinions, info, and observations about the movie is what this forum is for -- and it's all good, as long as we treat each other with respect.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:10am

Post #18 of 121 (520 views)
Shortcut
I love hearing the whole age spectrum story Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for posting it! Heart

And the enjoyment of children is highly relevant because that is how we gain more fans as those children grow and are exposed to meaningful fantasy in first film and then perhaps someday text. They don't have to get it all for it to be of value- just what works for them at their time in life. It does NOT however stand to any measure of reason to presume that because children enjoy a film it somehow can be used as a cudgel to denigrate it.

So I love hearing about the excitement and the wriggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found it a lot in my theater views as well, and even talked to quite a number of younger viewers who were happy and enthusiastic!
Angelic

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:12am

Post #19 of 121 (586 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to say that I feel I must respond. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel that we are trying to use our children or the excitement of younger fans to 'convince' ourselves of how 'sublime' the film is. We don't HAVE to convince ourselves. We DO enjoy it, we enjoy sharing our joy in it, and I do not feel that purel;y because we here on TORn are polite in the face of repeated and uninvited negativity in what is a joyful OP that somehow we should not have the prerogative to be happy.

If sharing in that happiness represents a burden to some than my polite suggestion would be to curse roundly in your own home to your hearts content and avoid posting comments that are completely and thoroughly unrelated to the film and create and atmosphere of hostility which I am afraid I must say has no place on TORn.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 1:22am

Post #20 of 121 (503 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad they saw it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess this means that your copy of the movie has finally arrived - and that's good news. Smile

I can just hear E and LE talking about the movie as they watch. How cute that they got their book out so they could match the characters.

And NZ Toddler - laughing! I can hear her. Smile

Maybe they'll be able to watch the scary bits soon so they can see the whole movie start to finish.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:25am

Post #21 of 121 (546 views)
Shortcut
Now that [In reply to] Can't Post

is a brilliant suggestion right there:
'...curse roundly in your own home to your heart's content'

And hooray for joy, in all its forms. Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2013, 1:25am

Post #22 of 121 (522 views)
Shortcut
Well, actually, no. I think L Ron Halfelven gets the credit for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did name myself Roheryn, though. (But actually I've been rethinking that. What's the name of Thorin's pony?)

And little NZ Toddler? She's named after her father.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 1:26am

Post #23 of 121 (523 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, Ro [In reply to] Can't Post

was just sharing her children's reactions because they are just as valid as the reaction of an "adult"? I disagree that their opinions are less valuable than those of so-called educated adults - their reactions are equally valuable. Educated people know that there is something to learn from everyone, no matter the age.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:32am

Post #24 of 121 (575 views)
Shortcut
Did someone say 'Thorin' and 'pony'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:34am

Post #25 of 121 (504 views)
Shortcut
***clinking to joy, Starling*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SmileAngelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.