Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Best design for Smaug...ever...

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Apr 6 2013, 9:35pm

Post #1 of 23 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Best design for Smaug...ever... Can't Post

I hope the film version will be something along the lines of this masterpiece.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...side+information.jpg

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 6 2013, 9:54pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2013, 9:54pm

Post #2 of 23 (634 views)
Shortcut
I really wouldn't say that's a masterpiece [In reply to] Can't Post

Erally
Bree

Apr 6 2013, 10:01pm

Post #3 of 23 (624 views)
Shortcut
It's a good design but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they would not put the two big horns in. Apart from that it looks cool

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 10:07pm

Post #4 of 23 (609 views)
Shortcut
Errr... No. Don't agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a lovely Dragon drawing but it's much too bulky and D&D in style.

Smaug is a Wyrm and comes from the Old European tradition, his looks should reflect that.

This guy, while imposing looks far too much like a T-Rex with Horns and far too bestial, no devious intelligence in his eye.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 23 (566 views)
Shortcut
Nice piece [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the glow coming from Smaug's mouth and nostrils, like a furnace, and the gold and jewels embedded in his belly. (Is it just me or does a lot of Smaug art omit that last bit?) I think his body should be longer though. Smaug is a worm of length! Wink

Also, love the way Bilbo is drawn and his facial expression!

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 11:34pm

Post #6 of 23 (505 views)
Shortcut
It's "ok" [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda looks like Gorgo with wings to me. Way too bulky and the neck isn't long enough for a dragon.

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 12:50am

Post #7 of 23 (463 views)
Shortcut
Not bad but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The dragon looks like other dragons I have seen on films... I don't know... I saw a better fanart, I liked that very much, it's scarier.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:53am

Post #8 of 23 (486 views)
Shortcut
I have been worried, from small shots scene and a bit of potential concept art that Smaug might not have a [In reply to] Can't Post

properly long neck at all. I hope I am wrong. I will post on it at some point, I believe.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 1:57am

Post #9 of 23 (506 views)
Shortcut
THIS is the perfect Smaug in my eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://this-world-is.boldlygoingnowhere.org/andinet/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/smaug/smaug-3.jpg

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

droidsocket
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 2:04am

Post #10 of 23 (433 views)
Shortcut
I second that! [In reply to] Can't Post

This artist have many great pieces. And agree that is a pretty perfect Smaug!

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Apr 7 2013, 2:28am

Post #11 of 23 (450 views)
Shortcut
The consensus appears to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

That his neck is too short...To be honest, I never like the portrayal of dragons as basically just giant worms. It reduces the menace, and looks...weird.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 2:56am

Post #12 of 23 (425 views)
Shortcut
The thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien envisioned Smaug as snake-like more-so than stocky. Something that is easy to miss about snakes is they are quite muscular and agile.

We had a nice discussion about Smaug back in June 2012 (see Sinister's thread); it contained many links to all manner of dragon images... for instance here is one Sinister shared that's of the variety you favour.

Now about the image you linked to, I like that he has a jewel encrusted underbelly. And the shape of his head seems about right (perhaps with a longer neck). But I think he should have five claws on each foot. In China five claws symbolize the Emperor (depictions representing anything or anyone else have four or less claws). But because it is Smaug, five claws seems appropriate somehow (though I think Tolkien's own drawings only show four).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 7 2013, 2:59am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 7:39am

Post #13 of 23 (347 views)
Shortcut
Fully agree on that! [In reply to] Can't Post

That Smaug looks terrific!

The OP dragon is too bulky.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 9:08am

Post #14 of 23 (340 views)
Shortcut
Is anything going to get more backlash on the boards than Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone has such a clear idea of him in their minds, he's inevitably going to disappoint people.

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 7 2013, 11:13am

Post #15 of 23 (339 views)
Shortcut
gif from Smaug's neck [In reply to] Can't Post

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9926/uza0.gif

In this gif, you can see Smaug burrying himself into the gold with his neck/head. I don't know if this is long enough for you, but the length of his neck seems pretty good to me.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 5:35pm

Post #16 of 23 (258 views)
Shortcut
I THINK I agree, if that is his neck moving forward in the dive. It [In reply to] Can't Post

is hard to tell between the size of the and the speed of movement. If it could be paused it would be easier to ascertain.

In Reply To
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9926/uza0.gif

In this gif, you can see Smaug burrying himself into the gold with his neck/head. I don't know if this is long enough for you, but the length of his neck seems pretty good to me.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Nightwing
Bree

Apr 7 2013, 6:15pm

Post #17 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
I don't really care for it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kinda dull.

Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh can't write, and Galadriel is not the most powerful being in all of Middle-earth. She is inferior to Sauron, Saruman, and Gandalf.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 7:32pm

Post #18 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
already know [In reply to] Can't Post

tolkien has already himself designed smaugs physiology, and alan lee and john howe will refine that with there own added panache like they have already done, i dont see why smaug will be such a surprise!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 7:43pm

Post #19 of 23 (224 views)
Shortcut
Aye [In reply to] Can't Post

What is key, as you imply, is how fiercely we hold our own views of Smaug... for the most part it seems people have been able to roll with hawt dwarves, added characters, altered scenes and plot lines. Smaug will be magnificent, or he will be the end of our fandom.

The stakes aren't too high or anything Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 7 2013, 7:44pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 8 2013, 12:29am

Post #20 of 23 (183 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think so too. Smaug is a dragon, a Wyrm, not a dino with wings. He is much too intelligent, sardonic and brilliant to look like a bestial T-Rex.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 3:41am

Post #21 of 23 (175 views)
Shortcut
Well . . . The Balrog is a demon from before the shaping of the world, who took part in the creation of [In reply to] Can't Post

the physical universe, and of the history of the world. One of the first of the fallen, and a sorcerer of great power, able to vie with one of the Great Wizards of Middle Earth for control of a spell sealed door. . . yet he was shown to roar and occassionally make apish movements. So. . . be prepared to be lenient. lol

In Reply To
I think so too. Smaug is a dragon, a Wyrm, not a dino with wings. He is much too intelligent, sardonic and brilliant to look like a bestial T-Rex.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 11:14am

Post #22 of 23 (154 views)
Shortcut
It's beautiful, but I have a more lithe dragon in mind for the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also like the way Bilbo was drawn. Smile

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 8 2013, 7:18pm

Post #23 of 23 (140 views)
Shortcut
You got a point there [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog is a demon, but he roared and made apish movements, which is totally un-demonlike. I found him quite frightening in the novel with the way he was described. There was so much potential there, why didn't they go for it! Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.