Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Manu Bennett
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 11:51am

Post #1 of 38 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Manu Bennett Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/8508352/The-fall-and-rise-of-Manu-Bennett

I stumbled across this while doing my daily Google search for Hobbit news. Bit of an eye opener for me since I knew nothing about him or Sparticus. I might check it out now. According to the reporter, the white warg's name is Athwarg. Not sure if that's right, but I guess it will work for now.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2013, 12:08pm

Post #2 of 38 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Quote from the article... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Viggo Mortensen in The Lord of the Rings, Bennett received an eleventh-hour call from Sir Peter Jackson. It turned out the person they had originally hired to play Azog the Orc wasn't giving them the performance they wanted.

''They always thought I had the power for the role, but that this Orc needed to be eight feet tall [Bennett is only 5ft 9in].

Presumably that is referring to John Rawls? (now Yazneg)

Still doesn't explain Conan Steven's change from Azog to Bolg - and he's 7ft tall!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 38 (1088 views)
Shortcut
He's going to be [In reply to] Can't Post

at Chicago comic-con. Thinking about going to met him, I doubt many would recognize him as Azog. :D

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 2:25pm

Post #4 of 38 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Conan Stevens [In reply to] Can't Post

Was always Bolg. He was never cast as Azog. Kinda pissed he joined The Hobbit because now he can't play Gregor Clegane on Game Of Thrones, which he was perfect in, even if he only had 1 or 2 scenes.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2013, 2:54pm

Post #5 of 38 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Oh really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps we should ask the man himself...

http://www.conanstevens.com/...sons-the-hobbit.html

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 38 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/casting-news-for-the-hobbit/10150257180211558

"Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog"

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 3:11pm

Post #7 of 38 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

he was wonderfull as The Mountain. His replacement was nothing like the character. Unsure

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 4:07pm

Post #8 of 38 (989 views)
Shortcut
He was probably cast as Azog before they even started filming anything. // [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 6:02pm

Post #9 of 38 (937 views)
Shortcut
no he wasn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

he was cast as gregor clegane before TH, he tried out for the role and was given the role but HBO told him they would have to replace him because of the filming schedule conflicts....So he chose TH over Game of Thrones.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 6:07pm

Post #10 of 38 (934 views)
Shortcut
the white warg [In reply to] Can't Post

Having thought it over, 'Athwarg' doesn't sound right. But Athnarg just might...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 38 (930 views)
Shortcut
I mean he was probably cast and switched from Azog to Bolg before filming began for TH [In reply to] Can't Post

Not Game of Thrones Smile

(This post was edited by Carne on Apr 6 2013, 6:16pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2013, 6:40pm

Post #12 of 38 (911 views)
Shortcut
right [In reply to] Can't Post

he was originally Azog because there was a pic of him standing beside PJ on set, and PJ looked like a hobbit compared to the size of him! Maybe they switched roles because Azog was going to be CGI, they wanted someone who was huge and intimidating for Bolg who is not CGI.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 6 2013, 6:41pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 6:50pm

Post #13 of 38 (951 views)
Shortcut
Most interesting I found this passage: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Azog has really worked a treat. He's exactly where we want him, so we're going to make a lot more of him in parts two and three."

Okkkkaaaaay...?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 8:09pm

Post #14 of 38 (877 views)
Shortcut
I'm missing something. Why does it make more sense? :-S / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 6 2013, 8:50pm

Post #15 of 38 (882 views)
Shortcut
Love this line: [In reply to] Can't Post

''I told my manager I was going to base Azog on a combination of Darth Vader and Jaws."

:D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 6 2013, 8:51pm

Post #16 of 38 (878 views)
Shortcut
If the rumour is true [In reply to] Can't Post

that Azog dies in DOS, then his presence in TABA could be a flashback (a la Boromir in the ROTK EE).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 8:51pm

Post #17 of 38 (866 views)
Shortcut
I don't know exactly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But 'Athwarg' doesn't sound properly Orcish to me. Arthnarg does for some reason. It's possible the reporter just misheard the whole thing.... it was a phone interview after all. Ah, wait, I've had another look....

Quote from the article:

"if Azog could have a relationship with his ride (athwarg) - something akin to the Lone Ranger and Silver. "

It looks like a typo. Crazy It should read:

"if Azog could have a relationship with his ride (a warg) - something akin to the Lone Ranger and Silver. "

*sigh* Foiled again. Evil

Lio
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 9:02pm

Post #18 of 38 (857 views)
Shortcut
Aww, and here I was all excited [In reply to] Can't Post

That the White Warg actually has a name. Frown But the situation you describe sounds most likely, it's just a typo.

Still, maybe a proper name will be revealed in future movies or tie-in material? Until then, she shall remain... Cupcake! :: shot ::

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 9:22pm

Post #19 of 38 (834 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay. Cupcake it is.... for now. What did you think of the interview and MB himself? I thought you'd go ape over this. Didn't you say in your last post something about Azog having a "sensitive side"? Crazy And here is the man himself talking about exactly that. Weird.

Actually, I decided to (finally) look at MB's imdb page. This guy is pretty cool. He started out street brawling and playing rugby at a Maori boarding school, and then decided move on to the fine arts. Sounds like a real riot. He'd fit right in at a Dwarven feast.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 9:23pm

Post #20 of 38 (858 views)
Shortcut
Nice find! Some things that caught my eye [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, additional confirmation of "a lot more of him" in the second and third movies. Woo hoo! Laugh Still, what's up with the recent rumour that he dies in DoS? Even if he does die and only appears in film three in a flashback, just how many flashback scenes would he have to have for there to be "a lot" of him?

Also interesting are the actor's comments about Azog's character. I wonder what he means that there's more to Azog than just being a typical bad guy. This didn't really show through in the first movie (except for the life-threateningly lovable pet-the-Warg moment Laugh). Then again, Azog was actually on screen for maybe ten minutes tops. With two more movies to go, I wonder how they will round out his character. Maybe some charming father/son flashbacks between him and baby Bolg?

Hmm, I can already picture it!

BOLG: Daddy! Let's defile something!

AZOG (sheds a tear): That's my son!

Orcs are mammals!

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 6 2013, 9:26pm

Post #21 of 38 (833 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely a typo [In reply to] Can't Post

The article was in our newspaper weekend supplement yesterday. The sentence reads:
That included asking Jackson if Azog could have a relationship with his ride (a warg)...

Articles on Stuff aren't normally accepted unless they are full of typos. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 9:31pm

Post #22 of 38 (823 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clearing that up! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was missing something and arthnarg was a Tolkien-related name for something.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 9:32pm

Post #23 of 38 (817 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just made a separate post about the interview itself. Nope, there's no way I would let juicy info like that go uncommented! Tongue

Oddly enough, it hadn't occurred to me to look up more about Azog's actor before. All that sounds quite interesting, thanks! I do wonder if he also does Azog's voice?

Orcs are mammals!

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 9:41pm

Post #24 of 38 (823 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

I love him on Arrow. I had no idea he was on Spartacus...

I wish we could actually see him as Azog rather than the CGI variant. I think that would soothe some of my grievances toward the character.

Sounds like a great guy. Thank you for posting this axecrazy.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

TariArFiniel
The Shire

Apr 6 2013, 11:28pm

Post #25 of 38 (803 views)
Shortcut
That caught my eye also. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then it's maybe just like Ataahua said: We'll see Azog in a flashback, maybe.
Or it's really just a rumor that Azog will die in the second movie..though I don't know why he would tell us such a thing on the Hobbit Con then..maybe it was just a assumption of him?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.