Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The 'nature' of walking.
Poll: The 'nature' of walking.
Lewis liked to meander and pause
Tolkien liked to meander and pause
I like to workout this way (walk/run) and really just want to scoot along.
I like to walk briskly because it helps me think better
When i walk i pretty much look where i am walking
When i walk i pretty much look all around me
I walk slowly and focus on my footing
I walk slowly and have my eyes mostly to the top of trees
I stop to look and listen occasionally
I stop to look and listen a lot
I dream of walking through the forest with no thought of return
I walk through the forest with no thought of return.
It varies widely due to my time and my mood
I bicycle instead
I cannot walk so i watch videos
I do not walk
I have a rabbit sled and cannot slow down these frisky critters
My dog walks me
I prefer just sitting somewhere in the forest for a time
Other curiosities
View Results (159 votes)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
The 'nature' of walking. Can't Post

I recalled reading about a curiosity years ago. It concerns the walks of Tolkien and Lewis and there walking habits*. One of them liked to meander and pause and the other walked briskly and continued.

So with this poll i thought firstly you can guess which one was the meanderer and pauserer.Laugh

Secondly, i added a number a responses you all can draw upon to reflect your own nature of walking (preferably in more of a natural setting, but not required).

Multiple answers of course and please reflect here in as much detail as desired.

* geordie assisted me verifying my facts because i could not locate the particulars i had originally found in my books. Thank you geordieSmile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 4 2013, 6:11pm

Post #2 of 23 (303 views)
Shortcut
I like to walk for exercise and to calm my mind, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm always looking around me as I go - especially when I'm walking through bush. Although I walk quickly, I do stop from time to time to take in the canopy and understorey plants, and to listen to/watch the birds.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 23 (265 views)
Shortcut
I walk for basically 3 reasons... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I live in the city, so i walk for transportation, either to my destination (if it's within 2 or 3 miles), or i walk to public transportation (the stations by my apt. are about 1/2 a mile away).

2. For exercise. I also cycle (for both exercise and transportation).

3. For fun. We have a really large, beautiful city park here in St. Louis, Forest Park. I can easily spend 2 or 3 hours just wandering around, on paths or off, and there are plenty of areas where you'll be the only person in sight. I love wandering around the park, then walking through different neighborhoods on the way home.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 7:05am

Post #4 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

that Tolkien was the meanderer (easier to spell than sayLaugh)

As for me - for the last few years I've had a bum leg and walk Frankenstein's Monster style, so I have to carefully watch my step. Crazy But before, I loved walking. I had a roughly 3 mile route around my neighborhood where I would walk briskly, listening to my tunes and letting my mind wander, stopping only to pet the various puppies along the way. (They got used to my schedule and would be at the fence waiting for me Smile) But whenever I had the opportunity to go hiking I'd walk slowly and take in the scenery. When traveling to other cities I'd just ramble and wander. I walked relatively briskly so as not to look lost, but still trying to enjoy the views.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 5 2013, 7:07am)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 6:47pm

Post #5 of 23 (235 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to assume [In reply to] Can't Post

that the 'stop to look' categories include an hidden camera. I'm not sure how good either of us is at walking without a camera! ;)
I didn't do much walking yesterday while out eagle-watching and looking for migrating waterfowl, but I made up for it a little today by visiting a really great city park in the area. I lured -- I mean fed -- the ducks, geese, swans (and fish) and so Dad could get some pictures in good lighting. I carried two cameras, but didn't use either of 'em. We had a little competition as there were also a good many youngsters and some oldersters out enjoying nature on the first real spring day we've had. I like seeing that! =)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 9:53pm

Post #6 of 23 (214 views)
Shortcut
Yes camera pit stops indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

A team effort aye? Did you get any action shots of the fowl with wings spread? I like to try and capture the sun shining through their feathers.

Out back of us there are 'avenues' through the trees and it is neat to find one that goes a long way. A step or two makes all the difference. It is a challenge to spot the deer standing or laying there....somewhere.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 10:00pm

Post #7 of 23 (216 views)
Shortcut
That is [In reply to] Can't Post

right. It makes sense though by the way they both 'construct' a book . Lewis flew along and churned many books out and Tolkien took much time to ponder and rewrite and published little.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 10:06pm

Post #8 of 23 (218 views)
Shortcut
It is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some city parks are really lovely. And changing routes offers variation and security actually.
You know, there is more nature happening in urban areas than one would suspect.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 10:18pm

Post #9 of 23 (208 views)
Shortcut
It is amazing to discover the different niches of wildwife [In reply to] Can't Post

from field to bush to tree and even the canopy of trees can be home to different species.
Sometimes i find a spot that just feels good and i stand their for minutes taking in everything, expecting anything. It is rewarding even if nothing seems to happen.
Happy trails Ata:).

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 6 2013, 3:54am

Post #10 of 23 (198 views)
Shortcut
I do the same [In reply to] Can't Post

often finds it helps me to sort out problems that are nagging at me :) And I've always loved walking through the bush here.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 4:38am

Post #11 of 23 (258 views)
Shortcut
wildlife spotted in my urban neighborhood [In reply to] Can't Post

items with asterisks were spotted by me

bald eagles*
red tailed hawks*
great blue herons*
loons*
snowy egrets*
various small raptors I can't identify*
wild turkeys*
fox
coyote
skunks*
various owls (I've seen a small variety of some sort)
possum (only seen the dead kind)
deer

and I won't count raccoons, bunnies, woodpeckers, muskrats, frogs, bats, various songbirds and hummingbirds since I think they aren't that unusual in the city.

And by urban I mean, 1 block from a main throughway from downtown to the airport and the light rail transport, 1 mile from Mall of America and a major airport hub, and 3 miles from downtown. We have sidewalks, alleys, and houses nestled right up next to each other.

I love my city. It's full of green space, developed parks, ball fields, gardens (formal, rose, rock, and wildflower), and areas left wild for wildlife. It also put in a lot of holding ponds next to the numerous lakes to filter out the street runoff. Those are allowed to grow a bit wild (they are seeded with certain types of plants like cattails). Lots of wildlife are sheltered by those areas. And all that is city parks. Lots of people essentially turn their yards over to garden (veggie or flower) space.

If I'm walking while shopping I am no nonsense. Outamyway outamyway outamyway. If I'm walking for exercise, I travel but I like to look around at the yards and gardens. My favorite walks are after dark in the summer with my sweetie along Lake Nokomis. The parks and paths can get crowded and at night things are so quiet and peaceful. If one can tune out the main road going over the lake and the airplanes landing at the airport. Noise is a bit relative in the city.

But to be honest, I'd rather folk dance than walk.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 4:43am

Post #12 of 23 (159 views)
Shortcut
walking???? what's walking???????????? [In reply to] Can't Post

...when you have three manic Siberians, you hook 'em up to something with wheels and do warp eleven...

...hence I said bunnysled.

Or I launch the kayak and let the paddle do the walking.

Once in awhile I actually walk, usually with a camera in hand... which encourages SEEING.

The wilder the trail, the better.

There is scientific evidence that we need that "green hour", that unstructured playtime in the natural world, however we spend it. (Read Richard Louv's The Nature Principle).

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 6:53pm

Post #13 of 23 (150 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't sure what to pick [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to be a runner when I was younger and that was all about the cardio workout. I really enjoyed it and did it until I developed some knee and foot problems and had to switch to walking. Then I would power walk trying to get that runner's high-not always an easy thing to acheive walking. Now I stroll with my dog and enjoy the sites and sounds of being outside. I prefer something like step aerobics or kick boxing for cardio work these days. I live in the suburbs and have to drive everywhere but wish I lived in the city and could walk to work and other places. I used to be able to walk through the woods to a nearby park and dog park which I really enjoyed but they sold the property and build a house where we used to cut through.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 3:44am

Post #14 of 23 (206 views)
Shortcut
Walking helps me write [In reply to] Can't Post

with huge technological assists from Bill the Treadmill and my precariously perched laptop!

Just today, I had to write an email that required a great deal of thought and processing time to word it well, and Bill was ever so helpful in getting me to that destination.

Of course, I also greatly enjoy hiking. I just don't get to indulge very often. Now that Beamer's taller than me, though, it's a less-intimidating prospect; when she and my Hobbit were smaller, I feared we looked a bit too tasty to the local carnivores!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 13 2013, 2:18am

Post #15 of 23 (133 views)
Shortcut
Love your rabbit sled choice.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll use it. If Radaghast will let meHeart

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2013, 3:01am

Post #16 of 23 (136 views)
Shortcut
I must review Richard Louv's The Nature Principle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!.
Yes! Looking is not seeing:).

...Warp 11:) Nothing like a little wind in the face huh?Laugh

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2013, 3:15am

Post #17 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
You know what Sherlock? [In reply to] Can't Post

We just do our best to work through the injuries and the pain and get back to as much of it as we can. If there is movement, there is life:).
I never tried kick-boxing. I thought of trying a boot camp program. It would probably kill me Laugh. Maybe in the fall after a summer of my usual fitness routine.

Your dog is probably a really good thing for you. Both of you can enjoy the daily romp together.

Perhaps an elliptical trainer would work for you. I have not tried one but is looks good for someone wanting the movement of running but without the impact.

Happy trailsSmile

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2013, 3:25am

Post #18 of 23 (130 views)
Shortcut
Beamer is taller than you now!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fancy thatSmile.Cool

WHY did you name the treadmill that? I have ta know. I have to know how you can TYPE while motoring on Mr. Bill, too. I cannot do anything else on a treadmill. I'd fall off lol.
Carnivores huh? Yes there are all kinds of varmints about. Be careful please. My best to you both:).

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2013, 3:49am

Post #19 of 23 (130 views)
Shortcut
I thought on that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

What a gas of a ride that would beShocked. Talk about a whirlwind tour of the local shireLaugh.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2013, 5:05am

Post #20 of 23 (138 views)
Shortcut
the Louv... [In reply to] Can't Post

richard Louv is also well known for Last Child in the Woods, which I found out about because every naturalist at the park I volunteer at was reading it as an assignment. In that one, Louv looks at our modern world, with kids exercising their thumbs and pasting their eyes to screens all day and says something like...

..."you know this is the apocalypse..." Shocked

...then he offers up some science, and shows how unstructured play time in the natural world (Bilbo going for a long walk with a bunch of Dwarves rather than a game of crochet) is essential for growing brains. That green hour also erases a good deal of that "ADD" the drug companies would like to sell you a cure for. It's a postive, upbeat book which offers up solutions to the screen-zombie apocalypse and the couch potato epidemic.

The Nature Principle takes the concepts farther, talking about the needs of adults and our culture as a whole.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 14 2013, 1:52am

Post #21 of 23 (166 views)
Shortcut
I ordered The Nature Principle [In reply to] Can't Post

and i thank you for the heads-up swordwhale to this author. It really does have rave reviews.

I have one that i think you will like. It is called 'Journeys on Mind Mountain' by G Bluestone. I found it fascinating:).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2013, 4:46pm

Post #22 of 23 (114 views)
Shortcut
favorited! [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can find it when I can get it!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2013, 8:22pm

Post #23 of 23 (122 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, since over a year ago (it wasn't hard!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bill the Treadmill is named in honor of Bill the Pony, another faithful beast of burden. My typing technique involves using the book stand for my laptop and a board across the supports for my keyboard and mouse. I go slowly (2 mph, 1.5 when I'm really tired or concentrating or knitting) and my aim is mostly to get more activity into my day. I incorporate higher-speed intervals when I can.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.