Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
wildlife spotted in my urban neighborhood

Poll: The 'nature' of walking.
Lewis liked to meander and pause
Tolkien liked to meander and pause
I like to workout this way (walk/run) and really just want to scoot along.
I like to walk briskly because it helps me think better
When i walk i pretty much look where i am walking
When i walk i pretty much look all around me
I walk slowly and focus on my footing
I walk slowly and have my eyes mostly to the top of trees
I stop to look and listen occasionally
I stop to look and listen a lot
I dream of walking through the forest with no thought of return
I walk through the forest with no thought of return.
It varies widely due to my time and my mood
I bicycle instead
I cannot walk so i watch videos
I do not walk
I have a rabbit sled and cannot slow down these frisky critters
My dog walks me
I prefer just sitting somewhere in the forest for a time
Other curiosities
View Results (159 votes)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 4:38am

Views: 212
Shortcut
wildlife spotted in my urban neighborhood [In reply to] Can't Post

items with asterisks were spotted by me

bald eagles*
red tailed hawks*
great blue herons*
loons*
snowy egrets*
various small raptors I can't identify*
wild turkeys*
fox
coyote
skunks*
various owls (I've seen a small variety of some sort)
possum (only seen the dead kind)
deer

and I won't count raccoons, bunnies, woodpeckers, muskrats, frogs, bats, various songbirds and hummingbirds since I think they aren't that unusual in the city.

And by urban I mean, 1 block from a main throughway from downtown to the airport and the light rail transport, 1 mile from Mall of America and a major airport hub, and 3 miles from downtown. We have sidewalks, alleys, and houses nestled right up next to each other.

I love my city. It's full of green space, developed parks, ball fields, gardens (formal, rose, rock, and wildflower), and areas left wild for wildlife. It also put in a lot of holding ponds next to the numerous lakes to filter out the street runoff. Those are allowed to grow a bit wild (they are seeded with certain types of plants like cattails). Lots of wildlife are sheltered by those areas. And all that is city parks. Lots of people essentially turn their yards over to garden (veggie or flower) space.

If I'm walking while shopping I am no nonsense. Outamyway outamyway outamyway. If I'm walking for exercise, I travel but I like to look around at the yards and gardens. My favorite walks are after dark in the summer with my sweetie along Lake Nokomis. The parks and paths can get crowded and at night things are so quiet and peaceful. If one can tune out the main road going over the lake and the airplanes landing at the airport. Noise is a bit relative in the city.

But to be honest, I'd rather folk dance than walk.

Subject User Time
The 'nature' of walking. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 4 2013, 2:40pm
    I like to walk for exercise and to calm my mind, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 4 2013, 6:11pm
        It is amazing to discover the different niches of wildwife silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 5 2013, 10:18pm
        I do the same Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin Apr 6 2013, 3:54am
    I walk for basically 3 reasons... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 4 2013, 7:54pm
        It is true. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 5 2013, 10:06pm
            wildlife spotted in my urban neighborhood Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2013, 4:38am
    I'm guessing zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Apr 5 2013, 7:05am
        That is silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 5 2013, 10:00pm
    I'm going to assume Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 5 2013, 6:47pm
        Yes camera pit stops indeed. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 5 2013, 9:53pm
    walking???? what's walking???????????? swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Apr 10 2013, 4:43am
        I must review Richard Louv's The Nature Principle. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 13 2013, 3:01am
            the Louv... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Apr 13 2013, 5:05am
                I ordered The Nature Principle silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 14 2013, 1:52am
                    favorited! swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Apr 15 2013, 4:46pm
    I wasn't sure what to pick sherlock Send a private message to sherlock Apr 11 2013, 6:53pm
        You know what Sherlock? silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 13 2013, 3:15am
    Walking helps me write Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Apr 12 2013, 3:44am
        Beamer is taller than you now!? silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 13 2013, 3:25am
            Yeah, since over a year ago (it wasn't hard!) Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Apr 15 2013, 8:22pm
    Love your rabbit sled choice.. Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 13 2013, 2:18am
        I thought on that too. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 13 2013, 3:49am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.