Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Various Snippets from 'Chronicles II: Creatures and Characters' (Spoilers)

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 5 2013, 1:02pm

Post #1 of 23 (1654 views)
Shortcut
Various Snippets from 'Chronicles II: Creatures and Characters' (Spoilers) Can't Post

I know I made a separate thread about Azog and Thror, but there's also some minor comments here which may be significant:

- Joe Letteri says that Gwaihir's "role in the film demands that he carry more of a performance so we had to give him more anthropomorphic dimensions than the other Eagles. It was important that we make him, and all of our creatures, much more 'alive' and capable of performance - not just action". This does mean he'll talk after all?

- Some interesting ideas about Dwarven character arcs, possibly indicating cut footage which may feature in the EE. For example, interaction between Dwalin and Nori at Bag End. Jed Brophy says: "Nori and Dwalin have an interesting relationship. When they first meet in Bag End, Dwalin thinks he can bully him, but it doesn't work that way with Nori. They have a disagreement over a chicken that Nori tries to steal off him and from there on if Dwalin catches Nori's eye, he glares at him".

- Seeming confirmation, if it were needed, that Azog's reappearance is linked to the rise of the Necromancer. "The thought of revenge upon Thorin and the final destruction of the line of the Longbeads gnawed at Azog, but he bided his time until late in the Third Age, when the emergence of the Necromancer and the commencement of Thorin's Quest to retake Erebor saw him lead a troop of hunters in a chase across Middle-earth in pursuit of the Dwarven Company".

- It appears that Grinnah, the Goblin interrogator, was intended to have a bigger role. Its mentions that "he's nasty and takes great enjoyment in whipping Thorin, which is all build-up because in the end Kili stabs him in his guts, and that had to be earned. It had to be a 'Yeah!' moment." I wouldn't say this is the case in the current version of the film. Given that Grinnah got a figure, it seems his original role was bigger. Given that we know there will be more Goblintown in the EE, it makes sense for his role to be expanded.

- When Bombur does speak, he will do so with a Northern Irish accent (or at least attempt to!).

Ref
Rivendell

Apr 5 2013, 1:37pm

Post #2 of 23 (858 views)
Shortcut
RE: Shagrat [In reply to] Can't Post

Really looking forward to the EE and I've not even got the theatrical one yet (Monday cannot come quickly enough). Love all the little scenes and extended scenes in LotR films, and I cannot wait to see the extra footage from AUJ.

Do you mind if I post this onto The Hobbit thread on the Empire boards, Shagrat?

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 5 2013, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 23 (770 views)
Shortcut
Be my guest [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy to keep fellow fans informed! I just hope this kind of stuff does turn up in the EE. Obviously it's not confirmed but you try and read between the lines.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 1:51pm

Post #4 of 23 (825 views)
Shortcut
How??? How? How? How? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can a film be split into two and still have so much cut out?!

All the characters descriptions seem so well rounded, but all we see in the film is a two-dimensional mass. It's as if Peter filled in the extra time by extending the battles instead of adding all the character development that the crew seem to have worked so hard on Crazy

Ref
Rivendell

Apr 5 2013, 1:52pm

Post #5 of 23 (762 views)
Shortcut
RE: Shagrat [In reply to] Can't Post

Ta for that Cool

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Carne
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 2:06pm

Post #6 of 23 (779 views)
Shortcut
I really liked Grinnah [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially his voice. I know from sources he had more lines (talking to the scribe), so hopefully we'll get something in the EE.

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 5 2013, 2:08pm

Post #7 of 23 (759 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like he was meant to be a real hate figure, but this doesn't come across in the film. Alright he whips them a bit, but really no more than any other Goblin beats the company.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 3:05pm

Post #8 of 23 (718 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha, i've wondered this a hundred times... [In reply to] Can't Post

How were they ever going to fit all this stuff into 2 films?!

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 5 2013, 3:09pm

Post #9 of 23 (709 views)
Shortcut
I think they had ideas of it being 3 films for quite a long time [In reply to] Can't Post

they filmed the Carrock finale scene a month before they announced the trilogy split. They clearly had it up their sleeve for a while.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 3:11pm

Post #10 of 23 (699 views)
Shortcut
Or ONE [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you imagine how fast one hobbit film would have gone? All the stuff that happens would go by in a blink! Kinda happy we're getting three. But it's still confusing how so much was still removed Crazy I feel like the studio pressured for more action and less talking.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 3:24pm

Post #11 of 23 (690 views)
Shortcut
Cant' wait to get my book [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two coming. One autoed copy from Weta and a regular from Amazon. I hope that one arrives Monday so I can get into the book. It sounds like the EE is going to be even better. Cool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 3:31pm

Post #12 of 23 (695 views)
Shortcut
As long as the EE footage [In reply to] Can't Post

is not about happy Hobbit families jumping around in the Shire, or any other families/children for that matter, which wouldn't interest me at all. The above-mentioned stuff, now that sounds interesting.

In Reply To
I have two coming. One autoed copy from Weta and a regular from Amazon. I hope that one arrives Monday so I can get into the book. It sounds like the EE is going to be even better. Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 4:11pm

Post #13 of 23 (650 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No [In reply to] Can't Post

If it adds to the narative I want a bit more of the shire but otherwise the stuff mentioned does possibly intrigue me a bit more.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 5:17pm

Post #14 of 23 (733 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Gwaihir - wasn't the Legolas/Thranduil exchange in the DoS preview: [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas: There was more the eagle could tell us.
Thranduil: There was not more we could have told ME.

That's what it sounded like...?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 5 2013, 5:20pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 5:23pm

Post #15 of 23 (616 views)
Shortcut
What?! Really?? Is it online anywhere? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 5:28pm

Post #16 of 23 (617 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if it's online [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's at 25:52 of the full-length preview, just before Orlando Bloom's video appearance.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 5 2013, 6:15pm

Post #17 of 23 (612 views)
Shortcut
Definitely "orc", and judging by the other scenes we were shown ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing it's the one Tauriel threatens to kill.

There's no eagle in that sentence.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 5 2013, 6:16pm)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 5 2013, 6:19pm

Post #18 of 23 (576 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I heard "orc," not "eagle," as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 6:35pm

Post #19 of 23 (564 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Shagrat [In reply to] Can't Post

Question: are there new images of the principle cast? The character pages I've seen thus far reprint already published images. So I would grab this book if there are indeed unpublished images of the cast.

Thanks!

--

In re: the info you posted. Some very good content there. That is what I would like to see on the EE, not aforementioned happy Hobbit families or Bilbo's trip to the market.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 10:14pm

Post #20 of 23 (505 views)
Shortcut
ooohhh [In reply to] Can't Post

- It appears that Grinnah, the Goblin interrogator, was intended to have a bigger role. Its mentions that "he's nasty and takes great enjoyment in whipping Thorin, which is all build-up because in the end Kili stabs him in his guts, and that had to be earned. It had to be a 'Yeah!' moment." I wouldn't say this is the case in the current version of the film. Given that Grinnah got a figure, it seems his original role was bigger. Given that we know there will be more Goblintown in the EE, it makes sense for his role to be expanded.

Cool. I really liked Goblintown but I don't think a little more of a dark and dangerous feeling would go amiss. I'm all for more Grinnah whipping Thorin. Not because I don't like Thorin but because I like him of course. :) Especially if it all ends up with Kili killing him, because I like it when Kili kicks ass, he does it well. :) And more importantly, while it's just a practical thing, it's also for his uncle and I like little "Durin moments".

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Apr 5 2013, 10:14pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 2:00am

Post #21 of 23 (437 views)
Shortcut
I remember all of this happening, but didn't really register it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know someone was whipping Thorin on and off in Goblintown, but at that point, with the editing, it could have been any goblin. And I remember Grinnah getting stabbed in the gut, but I didn't really look at who did it; I was focused on the reaction shot of Grinnah when he got stabbed, so it could have been any dwarf. At that point the action was pretty fast and furious, so I will have to go back and watch the Blu-ray so I can stop it and study what was going on.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2013, 10:44am

Post #22 of 23 (297 views)
Shortcut
Just got my copy yesterday... [In reply to] Can't Post

and am still wading through it. There's so much to take in and enjoy! Heart

One thing that caught my eye, though, since I've seen people comment on how slowly Celeborn seemed to speak in FotR: in the section on the Elves Cate Blanchett is quoted saying that

It's interesting the way Peter has shot the elves. Normally he is shooting at forty-eight frames, but he shot us at fifty-four to sixty frames to give an otherworldly quality.

Because the Elves are shot at a higher rate, it slows down the delivery of dialogue on screen, so it has been important when doing the additional dialogue recording that we do later to find buoyancy in it, even though I have to match the sync of the voice, so that it doesn't sound like I'm speaking through treacle.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Apr 9 2013, 10:52am)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 9 2013, 11:48pm

Post #23 of 23 (282 views)
Shortcut
Got mine today [In reply to] Can't Post

Got my unsigned copy from amazon. It's got a smal ding along the edge but is fine overall.

In the section on Thror it is shown that they did a head and it I guess was in the film with the carving into the head from Azog. I couldn't tell but I will watch for it and if not see if it makes the EE.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.