Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So Azog did defile Thror...one for the Extended Edition?

Shagrat
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 12:36pm

Views: 1185
Shortcut
So Azog did defile Thror...one for the Extended Edition? Can't Post

I've just got the second Chronicles book, which I wholeheartedly recommend. Among the interesting snippets are a section on Thror, which show imagines of a prosthetic head with characters carved into it in Black Speech, apparently spelling 'AZOG'. The text refers to Azog carving his sigil into Thror's head, 'as scripted', and thus earning his name, 'The Defiler'.

Now obviously this isn't clearly shown in the film, but I have noticed that Azog is holding a small knife in his left hand as he holds up Thror's head with his right. This would obviously explain why this is so. It also shows that this idea is prevalant in the finished film, and that it was not rejected at an early stage (usually they say as much in the book; for example, the early idea that we'd see Thrain lose his eye at some point was scrapped).

Now we can probably assume that some kind of graphic detail was removed due to concerns over the age rating, but for home video releases I suspect they could probably get away with a bit more in this regard, and possibly get it included in the EE. It would be a nice nod to the book canon and give proper credence to 'The Defiler' tag.

Subject User Time
So Azog did defile Thror...one for the Extended Edition? Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Apr 5 2013, 12:36pm
    I really hope (assuming it was filmed, and it's not just a "detail") that it is put in the EE DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 5 2013, 12:45pm
        Thanks Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Apr 5 2013, 12:57pm
        The hope for a Balrog mention may not be lost Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Apr 5 2013, 9:14pm
            It would be appalling if Durin's Bane, The Balrog, gets no mention in these films so heavily focused on Duirn's AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 6 2013, 4:46am
                Balrog reference Lio Send a private message to Lio Apr 6 2013, 10:17pm
        This has nothing to do with Thror's head in that picture... Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Apr 6 2013, 1:55am
        Lovely, isn't it? // DarkJackal Send a private message to DarkJackal Apr 7 2013, 5:33am
    Defiled Thror's * corpse * -- SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 5 2013, 3:54pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.