Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT”
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 7:01pm

Post #251 of 273 (20615 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. In my excitement, I wasn't clear on what I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit my phrasing made it seem that way, that ANYONE's fanfic would "become" Tolkien. That's not at all what I meant. There's going to be fanfic for these films. There's nothing for it. I'm just relieved that it looks like it will be done by people who are in the industry, but have a proven record of their respect and consideration of Tolkien's works. As I've often said before, and meant to imply here, that it will be like having more Tolkien.

There is only one Tolkien. These films are going to be made. I'm just relieved they are in the safest hands that I feel we can hope for.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 7:46pm

Post #252 of 273 (19743 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes Tolkien chose not to write more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Concerning Bombadil, for instance, Tolkien wrote that it is important for a story to include enigmas. Likewise he meant for some distant vistas to remain that way, to add versimilitude to the story.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 7:55pm

Post #253 of 273 (20001 views)
Shortcut
"Sniveling coward"? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, how would PJ reconcile this version of Aragorn with the sniveling coward he put in his movies?

This just goes to show you how different people can process exactly the same thing in so many different ways. To me, the Aragorn of the movies is a very brave and intelligent man -- so intelligent he realizes the corruption inherent in power, so brave he fights for what's right anyway.

As I've said many times before, I tend to find book-Aragorn a bit arrogant at time, whereas I find movie-Aragorn to be a leader worth dying for, not least because of his courage in acknowledging his doubts.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Nefisa5

Dec 19 2007, 9:44pm

Post #254 of 273 (17898 views)
Shortcut
time to break out the "meh's" [In reply to] Can't Post

sure, you're allowed to be bothered by it.
and i'm allowed to say why being bothered by it kinda seems silly.

I mean, yeah, there's tons of idjits who say they won't read the books because they saw the movies...but honestly, do you think those people were going to read the books ever anyways?!
So who cares if they get their tolkien "wrong" or don't understand the real reasons for aragorn's valour or whatever.

As for calling it tolkien...the dude's dead, so it won't bother him what it's called. People with brains know what tolkien wrote and what he didn't and people without brains aren't worth fussing over anyways.

I like the idea of a field day of Tolkien inspired fanfic and movies and whatever..the more the better. It just seems more fun than lighting sacred candles by Tolkien's tomb or preserving the sanctity of the Silmarillion.

Nefisa5

Dec 19 2007, 9:47pm

Post #255 of 273 (18360 views)
Shortcut
i prefer... [In reply to] Can't Post

"a really really long time ago there was this old english dude who had this funky story idea but it ended too quick. So here's MY idea and here's what I think shoulda happened..."

karen
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 9:50pm

Post #256 of 273 (19796 views)
Shortcut
Jackson can do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is a genius and I'm sure he can get it done

BG
Board Developer / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 11:08pm

Post #257 of 273 (18824 views)
Shortcut
A little food for thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a statement from PJ, made back in 1998, that he posted on aintitcoolnews after the announcement that he would make the movies:

"How am I going to make The Lord of the Rings? I love these books as much as most of you do. I am going to make 3 very personal movies. This will be "The Lord of the Rings" that I would dream of seeing at the movies. At least I'm going to try and get as close to that as I can. I can't make your version, or anybody elses. Trying to second guess what millions of fans have in their heads would be fatal.
I know this sounds glib and defensive ... the books are masterpieces and always will be. There's nothing anybody could do on film that could destroy the quality or influence of J.R.R.Tolkien's writing. In future decades, in a world of holograms and virtual entertainment, our movies will be old relics ... and the books will still be a great read. "

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 11:24pm

Post #258 of 273 (19813 views)
Shortcut
Love your avatar! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact I was doing that at one point, earlier today at work...Tongue

I remember that statement; and it's what we all have to keep in mind. Movie-makers will create a version of a book; it is impossible to make an exact movie of any book! That's the reality.

So all that is required of us is to sit back, relax with it, have FUN discussing it and speculating, enjoy watching the whole process unfold, and whatever the result thank those who went through all the sweat and tears to make it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 2:37am

Post #259 of 273 (19215 views)
Shortcut
Now how can that attitude [In reply to] Can't Post

and reverence for Tolkien be seen as anything but respectful? I'm glad you found that. I haven't read it in years, and it's still beautiful :)

Thanks, BG :) Cheers!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 7:09am

Post #260 of 273 (19947 views)
Shortcut
enigmas, shenigmas [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien did write more about Bombadil -- he had that whole series of poems about him. Luckily for us and for the narrative, they're not all in LotR, but they're out there. No, Tolkien didn't pin down Bombadil's exact nature anywhere, but he would have if he'd figured it out for himself!

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 7:10am

Post #261 of 273 (17970 views)
Shortcut
Who?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 9:48am

Post #262 of 273 (23297 views)
Shortcut
Also, Butterbur's involvement [In reply to] Can't Post

He greets the hobbits when they arrive and gives them something to eat/drink, then he hides behind the bar when the Nazgul arrive. Lots and lots different than the book where he's more proactive and more of an affiliation with Gandalf than the film's "long grey beard, pointy hat!" He could have helped the Company leave the next morning, but we didn't see that. Where'd Bill come from? Questions and more questions.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Lith
The Shire

Dec 20 2007, 12:07pm

Post #263 of 273 (18861 views)
Shortcut
Gramma! *hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Aw, thank you for the very kind compliment! I must confess I do feel the petition had some influence, but those 63000 folks who signed it both online and off are the ones who truly deserve thanks. *applauds signers*

That said, I wouldn't complain if both you and I ended up in NZ as extras. Wink

Sandicomm
Bree

Dec 20 2007, 1:41pm

Post #264 of 273 (19377 views)
Shortcut
Fanfic Movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

...which is why I'm officially calling the 2nd movie the Fanfic Movie! (ooh, let's start a trend!)

Seriously, though, I can see where New Line is coming from. It's an obvious ploy to milk the franchise, but there is a lot of material there. If PJ and crew take the time to really supervise these movies instead of just letting them become shoddy castoffs, then the Fanfic Movie could be good. Maybe we'll see a female dwarf!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 3:44pm

Post #265 of 273 (22484 views)
Shortcut
I'll drive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Be ready at your door around 8 and I'll bring along some subs. Woohoo!!!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Bestica
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 4:16am

Post #266 of 273 (19785 views)
Shortcut
Ahh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found out early this afternoon and got to a computer as soon as i could-- 9 hours, not a good precedent to set, but what can you do? Anyways, my point is-- YES!!! I've been looking wistfully at grammaboodawg's sig for weeks and she was right, it IS coming, and even if there's going to be another movie of probably mostly original material, i'm ok with that-- I'm willing to lay my purist tendencies at the feet of my fannishness.

Huzzah and double huzzah!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep"

Robert Frost

Bestica
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 4:21am

Post #267 of 273 (19354 views)
Shortcut
I think I speak for lots when i say [In reply to] Can't Post

way to keep the hope alive Gramma!

Robert Frost

Bestica
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 4:48am

Post #268 of 273 (17677 views)
Shortcut
Classic [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm dying here-- thanks for that

Robert Frost

Bestica
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 5:00am

Post #269 of 273 (20540 views)
Shortcut
you can always dream, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Robert Frost

Bestica
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 5:17am

Post #270 of 273 (19729 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes it could have been worse, just look at anadaptation of LOTR by John Boormanhttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/...wthread.php?t=497686

Robert Frost

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Dec 22 2007, 6:27pm

Post #271 of 273 (19397 views)
Shortcut
Let's just hope.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that at least one or two of the dwarves are more serious characters, I don't like to see all of them just bringing some comedy to these movies. But still this news is the best news i've had in long time, and I can't wait to see this film happening!!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 23 2007, 5:17am

Post #272 of 273 (19578 views)
Shortcut
We'll know whne the first casting choices are made. [In reply to] Can't Post

If they go for big Hollywood names we are in trouble. No Nicole Kidman for the film please! If we start seeing lots of obscure or little names then we'll know PJ is in control!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 18 2010, 2:55am

Post #273 of 273 (21871 views)
Shortcut
More like a 16-year gap [In reply to] Can't Post

One change that would have had to have been made to the Fellowship of the Ring adaptation if the gap had been maintained is that Merry, Pippin and Sam could not have been introduced as adults at Bilbo's (and Frodo's) birthday party. By Hobbit standards, they would have still been children.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the difference between book and films is closer to 16 years than 17. It had to be nearly a year after Bilbo's departure when Frodo and Sam leave the Shire. The vegitables in Farmer Maggot's fields indicate that it must be late summer of the following year (or close to it).

BTW, I posted a probable timeline for the combined Hobbit/LOTR films on IMDb reflecting Jackson's changes. Would anyone like me to post it over here?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 18 2010, 2:57am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.