Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What do we know about Jabez Olseen..PJ's Editor?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 9:00am

Post #1 of 38 (1141 views)
Shortcut
What do we know about Jabez Olseen..PJ's Editor? Can't Post

Intriguing guy?
Jus..
PJ &..JO? doing the Cuts...

Maybe our NZ TORnsibs know this Mystery Editor?
He MUST be Brililant.
to get such as DreamJOB!
166 minute Movie
(166 Million Dollars as a Budget)
xoxBomby

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 10:03am

Post #2 of 38 (675 views)
Shortcut
What do you want to know about him? [In reply to] Can't Post

I found heaps with the old 'google finger'. Smile

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 11:07am

Post #3 of 38 (685 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

We know he's incapable of saying "I know Frodo's on the poster Peter, but what does this 5 minute scene where him and Bilbo discuss party invitations really add to the film, and why are we including it at the expense of useful character development between Bilbo and Elrond in Rivendell?"

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 11:26am

Post #4 of 38 (650 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that [In reply to] Can't Post

it's so true Laugh

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 12:15pm

Post #5 of 38 (604 views)
Shortcut
editor [In reply to] Can't Post

he is just th guy that presses the button, though doing it very well, pj will decide everything ultimately.

btw the guy that makes the tea for them is the best in the business, we should find out who he is!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 1:07pm

Post #6 of 38 (623 views)
Shortcut
That scene will make more sense in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

It was supposed to be about introducing Gandalf, because his "I am Gandalf" intro is a bit lame. But they cut it down for pacing and didn't have the heart to remove Frodo with it, because they'd shown him in the trailer.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 4 2013, 1:13pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 1:28pm

Post #7 of 38 (606 views)
Shortcut
Whoever he is [In reply to] Can't Post

he sure cant say NO to Jackson.

Jackson needs people around him that can tell him NO from time to time.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 1:38pm

Post #8 of 38 (578 views)
Shortcut
Staying on topic [In reply to] Can't Post

His imdb and wiki pages are pretty sparse. He's a native New Zealander, aged 37, and has worked almost exclusively on PJ projects. That's about it. Looks like he learned the trade under PJ's watch, and PJ probably employs him full time at his post-production offices. Seems a nice enough fellow in the vlogs and behind the scenes stuff, quiet for the most part, very focussed on his work. He's a behind the scenes guy, so that's to be expected. JO is a Leo. PJ is a Scorpio.

That is all the information easily accessed via search engines.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 1:49pm

Post #9 of 38 (582 views)
Shortcut
editor [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be nice for posters to this thread to know what they're talking about before blasting a person's professionalism, particularly when it's apparent they don't even understand the position of film editor to begin with.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 2:31pm

Post #10 of 38 (546 views)
Shortcut
film editing [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't bothered researching what the job of a film editor entails (not interested in making movies), but from the glimpses afforded in behind the scenes stuff, it seems to requires someone with good organizational and interpersonal skills. There's hundreds of hours of footage to go through, and he's in charge of the whole editing department. That means he oversees the process of organizing and cataloguing all the footage, as well as deciding which software packages are used in the process, deciding who the the assistant editors are, co-ordinating with the VFX and Sound guys on unfinished shots etc, etc. It actually sounds like a pretty cool job -- demanding but highly rewarding. Cool

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 38 (526 views)
Shortcut
Totally Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

thats exactly what Jackson needs. Someone to tell him NO and bring him back to the reality of what the story is supposed to be about. To let him know maybe not all his changes are good ones. Maybe then we would have gotten a much better film. Something Tolkien himself would be proud of. Wink But we got AUJ instead Tongue

I guess nobody want to get fired for letting the boss know he is screwing it up.Angelic

droidsocket
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 38 (512 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem with your opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Pj did not screw up anything. Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is precisely the movie he intended to make. Making your assessment that someone should tell him "no" rather counter productive.

Now the problem seams to be that you are confusing Peter Jackson's The Hobbit with JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (which is actually a book not a movie)Tongue

(This post was edited by droidsocket on Apr 4 2013, 3:49pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 4 2013, 3:55pm

Post #13 of 38 (491 views)
Shortcut
He was assistant editor on TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

and is featured in the appendices of the EE of that movie.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 4:10pm

Post #14 of 38 (488 views)
Shortcut
He's the editor on the film [In reply to] Can't Post

He's the editor on the film, meaning he works with Jackson to put the film together. This includes everything from determining which take of a performance to use, determining which shots to use, how to cut between shots, how to intent between simultaneous sequences, determine how long shots, scenes, and sequences should last, and several other duties.

He's worked with JAckson for a while now. He was the assistant editor working under Mike Horton for The Two Towers. And he co-edited Jackson's King Kong remake.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 4:19pm

Post #15 of 38 (495 views)
Shortcut
In Jabez's defense [In reply to] Can't Post

There is evince that he's contradicted Jackson in the sitting room. Phillipa Boyens pointed out that he was the guy who caught their mistake in the Riddle sin the Dark sequences where Gillum referred to himself as Smeagol (even though this is 60 years before that revelation in the Dead Marshes took place). If it weren't for him, that important character moment in the Two Towers would have been rendered moot by the director and the writers' oversight.

Also, don't assume just because he works for Jackson that he's just some yes man who is working under the director. He's an editor, meaning he works with the director to determine how the film is put together. As a result, he, more so than almost anyone save the producers (i.e. Walsh and Boyens) has an incredible amount of input in how the final edit of the film looks, how it affects viewers, and how both he individual scenes and the picture overall works. Editing is a collaborative job, and any direct worth their salt is going to appreciate their editor and the sensibilities they bring with them.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 5:10pm

Post #16 of 38 (453 views)
Shortcut
how do you know this? [In reply to] Can't Post

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 5:23pm

Post #17 of 38 (447 views)
Shortcut
No, that's the job of the various producers and the studio [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm warning everyone on this thread that I won't be silent in the face of slandering the technical personnel behind these films. It's not done. They work very hard to help bring us these movies, and belittling them on personal level is childish and rude. If you have issue with the cut, then PJ and producers are the ones you should direct your complaints at, not JO. An editor is mostly a helper, not the creative force behind a film. And yes the director has final say over the cut. It's his name on all the posters and the blu-ray jackets; he makes all the big decisions on set, and all the major script revisions are okayed by him, and he organizes all the financing for the project.

The director has the final say along with the producers. Don't like it? Don't bother being an editor then, because you will be fired and they'll find someone else and make the cut they want anyway. A grown man excepts the world he lives in. That's why 'fanboys' live in their own twisted little worlds, and are probably unemployed miscreants for the most part. Come to think of it, that's probably the reason why so many of them don't have anything better to do than troll on internet forums and sound like whining infants while they do it.

Angelic

(This post was edited by axecrazy on Apr 4 2013, 5:26pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 5:29pm

Post #18 of 38 (442 views)
Shortcut
Nobodys professionalism is in question [In reply to] Can't Post

As to the position of film editor i understand it. I am friends with two film editors and have watched the extended dvds like everyone else here.

My comment is clear. Jackson, like other directors with flaws, needs someone to say NO to him sometimes. In particular, when hes dealing withsuch important and sensitive material as TH. When they dont have those sorts of advisers,or council or confrontations, we get the SW prequels, AUJ's bloatedness, etc..

Being a director known for his incapability to trim and properly cut a film, leaving out the unnecessary parts, it would be good for him to have someone that counter balances him.

Sinister -: Aiounour should be a good advisor to any film or televised adaptation of Tolkien material. He would knock their heads against some doors when its necessary.
Wink

easterling : has he? i wasnt aware, thats very interetsing. I like that moment.

Well, i dont know much about him so i didnt assume he was some yes man, actually. From your information, hes proven hes been very helpfull before in the mistakes department.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 5:42pm

Post #19 of 38 (438 views)
Shortcut
Bloated? What?! [In reply to] Can't Post

And in what way is PJ "known" for his incapability to properly cut a film? FotR and TTT were both nominated for editing and RotK won!

The Hobbit was long, but it wasn't bloated. Every scene (albeit Frodo, which was probably only kept because it was in the trailer) was necessary! And even with all the added material the dwarves still seem as two-dimensional as in the book, so if anything, too much was cut!

This is why I think, unlike LotR, the EE is actually going to be the preferred version of the film

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 4 2013, 5:44pm)

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 5:51pm

Post #20 of 38 (437 views)
Shortcut
Because if you listen to the extended version of the soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

You can hear how the scene was originally going to go into a flashback to introduce Gandalf: http://youtu.be/5QcbvM0Ng1w

It's understandable that, despite giving Gandalf a better introduction, this slows the film down quite a bit, so they cut it to get things going quicker.

The better idea would have been to remove the entire party sequence, but obviously fans were expecting to see Frodo, so it couldn't be removed. Tongue

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 4 2013, 5:51pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 4 2013, 6:26pm

Post #21 of 38 (422 views)
Shortcut
A reminder to everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep personal comments out of this discussion, and to be careful with generalisations that could be taken as criticism directed at board members.

This is an interesting topic for discussion and we don't want it to be derailed by an inadvertent (or deliberate) breach of the TOS.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 7:02pm

Post #22 of 38 (382 views)
Shortcut
Interesting theory [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think they were going to flashback to to introduce Gandalf?

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Apr 4 2013, 8:06pm

Post #23 of 38 (343 views)
Shortcut
Smeeaaaagol [In reply to] Can't Post

Where/when did Phillipa bring up the Smeagol mistake? I remember hearing about Gollum using the name Smeagol when someone talked about the footage at Comic Con. I was really worried about that...

Then when I saw the movie, I assumed the person was either lying or just had forgotten exactly what was in the Comic Con footage. But I guess it was actually there and taken out. Thank goodness...

Osskil
Bree

Apr 4 2013, 8:08pm

Post #24 of 38 (344 views)
Shortcut
Those scenes are actually quite important, I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, you could argue that Bilbo and Frodo are central characters, while Elrond is not. How do we know the scene between Bilbo and Elrond is a character building scene? Aren't Bilbo and Frodo's scenes at the beginning substantively character building?

This six-film series will be at its heart about hobbits, so it makes sense to me that we begin with them in an extended moment of tranquility. No prior knowledge is needed to understand them: this is simply the story of an old man telling his story to a young relative, a bittersweet and timeless kind of telling. And all of the Hobbit takes places within the opening moments of The Lord of the Rings, which will, I think, be revealed in time to as a graceful and clever move. It will allow a cohesion among the stories not otherwise possible.

I know some people feel that it's unnecessary or too long, and I understand that certainly. But in terms of the big picture, of the twenty-hour epic, I think these scenes will make the narrative cohere. Jackson is playing a long game. He can see the narrative in a way we can't. It may well be that when these films stand behind themselves on a shelf that their unity will depend in part on this type of attention to framing and continuity.

:)

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 8:26pm

Post #25 of 38 (332 views)
Shortcut
It was in an interview she did in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

It was part of a podcast. If I find it again, I'll send you a link MB18.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.