Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil and Company
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 10:38pm

Post #1 of 28 (3576 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil and Company Can't Post

I am looking forward to Thranduil and his Woodelven realm as much as anything! I truly believe this will turn out to be a pretty good part of this next film! Thranduil as many of you have already expressed seems like an enjoyable and interesting character. His arrogance is portrayed well by Pace! The whole realm's potential is there to be had as a aspect that intrigues viewers. The Woodelves army looks to be from what we have seen in AUJ when they turn away from the dwarves plight shows them to be potentially an exciting army when they arrive at the BO5A.

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Apr 3 2013, 10:39pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:47pm

Post #2 of 28 (3013 views)
Shortcut
I've been waitin to post this screencap somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 11:58pm

Post #3 of 28 (2880 views)
Shortcut
my question is [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are Thranduil and Thorin almost exactly the same height? I thought dwarfs were shorter than elves...

http://marieastra8.files.wordpress.com/...thorin-thranduil.png

doesn't make much sense to me if they are the same height, hopefully its something they fix

imin
Valinor

Apr 4 2013, 12:06am

Post #4 of 28 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Just a rehearsal i think. [In reply to] Can't Post

No way would they make Thranduil about 5'3'' lol. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 12:07am

Post #5 of 28 (2818 views)
Shortcut
well Bilbo is the same height as Balin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Hobbit were supposed to be shorter than dwarfs... Wink just sayin.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 12:09am

Post #6 of 28 (2815 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that photo was just them running through their parts or somethin' Smile

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 12:10am

Post #7 of 28 (2791 views)
Shortcut
one can only hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll let someone else hold their breath Tongue Laugh

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 12:11am

Post #8 of 28 (2796 views)
Shortcut
Same height [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't know the camera angles, editing, and green screening they will use to put the piece together or how close they will be in the finished scene. We don't know if that was a rehearsal leading to the scene being shot. I would expect from an acting standpoint, rehearsing or shooting the scene as intimately as possible and then editing it to show the height difference would be most effective in capturing the intensity of the actors playing off each other.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 12:21am

Post #9 of 28 (2785 views)
Shortcut
But wouldn't you think [In reply to] Can't Post

they would put Lee Pace on a box so the proportions would be right for a rehearsal? That way he is at least looking the right direction for his performance instead of rehearsing it one way and filming it another. several shots of Gandalf and the dwarfs from the Vlogs we see Gandalf on a raised walkway to be higher than the dwarfs so the perspective seems right. Here we have Thranduil looking eye to eye with Thorin almost a full body shot. I'm not gonna say that its not a rehearsal I truly hope it is and this is just a practice run. But from this shot they look the same height where we have seen other production practice shots where the height was altered by other means to get the performance correct such as where the actors are looking and interacting with.

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 12:43am

Post #10 of 28 (2795 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Thranduil got Thorin a box...... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why are Thranduil and Thorin almost exactly the same height? I thought dwarfs were shorter than elves... "

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 12:46am

Post #11 of 28 (2748 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 12:59am

Post #12 of 28 (2753 views)
Shortcut
Well Legolas did offer Gimli one at Helm's deep [In reply to] Can't Post

stranger things have happened Wink

daemoon
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 1:59am

Post #13 of 28 (2745 views)
Shortcut
Comparing [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems Thranduil is taller than Legolas...Legolas is about the same height as Gandalf...And Gandalf is taller than Thorin... so i guess they are just rehearsing =D

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2013, 3:19am

Post #14 of 28 (2687 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, it was all greenscreen around them, so there are several possibilities. My current favorites:

They might be filming the scene twice and compositing them together to create the height differential, sort of the newer version of forced perspective.

Thorin may indeed be standing on a higher level for some reason having to do with the room/set we cannot see yet. A set meant to evoke a prisoner in the dock, perhaps?

Silverlode

Dark is the water of Kheled-zāram,' said Gimli, 'and cold are the springs of Kibil-nāla.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 7:48am

Post #15 of 28 (2622 views)
Shortcut
can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for the Mirkwood scenes!! It's going to be so much fun to watch!

Regarding the height though I'd say it's pretty obviously not what's going to be in the movie. Just a rehearsal. Also - in this cap from AUJ you see the elves are much taller - though it's not the best photo to go after, but you get the gist. They're taller. - X

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 4 2013, 8:03am

Post #16 of 28 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

People in the background also give it away that this isn't an actual scene.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2013, 9:21am

Post #17 of 28 (2598 views)
Shortcut
Aha...but this is Middle-earth. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're assuming that the Transitive Law of Inequality holds. Based on the picture of Thranduil clearly taking on Thorin nose-to-approximate-nose, I deduce that the Transitive Law of Inequality in fact does NOT hold.

Thus: Thranduil is taller than Legolas, who's about as tall as Gandalf, who's quite a bit taller than Thorin, who is in fact almost EXACTLY as tall as Thranduil! We've just learned something quite amazing about physics (math? something?) in Middle-earth!

Wink

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2013, 10:20am

Post #18 of 28 (2589 views)
Shortcut
"Enjoyable and interesting." [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a pretty G-rated way of describing that deliciously sassy Thranduil!

I think I've already fairly shamelessly expressed my enthusiasm over Thranduil in DOS. "Looking forward to him" would be a serious understatement. Can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait.

And I do *soooo* want to know where he gets his megaloceros antlers for throne-decorating...did his trusty steed finally nibble his strawberry-scented hair one too many times? And is his crown made of antlers (albeit substantially smaller ones: miniloceros?) too?

Elenorflower
Gondor

Apr 4 2013, 12:39pm

Post #19 of 28 (2560 views)
Shortcut
I am more worried about [In reply to] Can't Post

what they will do to his character, I hope they dont make him another 'baddie', he wasnt, he was wise and kind, and not an arrogant coward who leaves the Dwarves to get decimated by Smaug. I hope they dont do a Faramir and twist his nature into something lesser just for spectacle and making things 'interesting'.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Apr 4 2013, 12:41pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 1:31pm

Post #20 of 28 (2536 views)
Shortcut
Ah but Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

described these elves as less wise and more dangerous...

Vous commencez ą m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 28 (2501 views)
Shortcut
I just almost choked on an M&M. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was excellent!

(Not to mention Thorin is haughty enough that I could see him answering the "Would you like me to get you a box?" with a "Yes, I would in fact.")

My elfling's LOTR commentary: (from when she was 4)

On Arwen: That princess is sad because she wants her Daddy.
On Eowyn: That princess is sad because she wants to ride horses with all the boys. They should let her play too.
On Legolas: What is that princess' name?

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 2:30pm

Post #22 of 28 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Too true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Elenorflower, that I hope he doesn't get completely twisted, but this IS someone who threw Thorin and Co. into dungeons for a long period. He wasn't cruel, but he was suspicious; the king of an increasingly besieged knot of Mirkwood.

I'd like to see this played up without having to resort to the usual invented flaws and character tension.

My elfling's LOTR commentary: (from when she was 4)

On Arwen: That princess is sad because she wants her Daddy.
On Eowyn: That princess is sad because she wants to ride horses with all the boys. They should let her play too.
On Legolas: What is that princess' name?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2013, 3:27pm

Post #23 of 28 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as Thranduil was concerned, Dwarves were the enemy because of an ancient feud, and the threat from Dol Guldur meant Thranduil was becoming increasingly isolated as he relied on his own defences to protect his people (not having an Elven ring like the other Elf Lords.) Yes, Thranduil did order the Dwarves to be locked up, but given food and water, until one of them "saw sense" and told him why they had trespassed into his realm, disturbing their feasts, and rousing the spiders. It sounds cruel, but Dwarves would not have suffered from being confined underground as such, unlike Elves, (and humans,) who would be affected by being kept from sunlight and fresh air.

I just checked the book, and Tolkien does not make it clear if Thranduil even learnt of Thorin's identity. With Tolkien's timeline,Thorin was a child when Erebor fell to Smaug, so even if Thranduil had personally had contact with Thror or Thrain, there is no reason why he might recognize the adult (middle-aged) Thorin. Jackson's invention and condensing of the timeline in the movies however causes all sorts of problems like this - the domino effect - where now Thranduil would have to be an idiot not to recognize Thorin so we will have to have yet further invention to explain his treatment.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Æ Victoria Monfort

Elenorflower
Gondor

Apr 4 2013, 3:48pm

Post #24 of 28 (2474 views)
Shortcut
but any Elves even Mirkwood Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

are going to be way wiser than any man or Dwarf, and Thranduil was their king, he was Dangerous but also wise, he had the 'fault' of liking jools but he was capable of gestures of mercy and pity.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 4:33pm

Post #25 of 28 (2457 views)
Shortcut
The Woodelves are.... [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite of the elves left in Middle-Earth doing the Third Age because of their NOT AS ALOOF type of personalities. Their ancestors are the Sindar or at least Thranduil and Legolas are of this type...correct me if I am wrong! Also in all of Tolkien's works going back to First Age Middle-Earth ...the Sindar...including King Thingol of Doriath...but more so Beleg Strongbow (my favorite elf warrior besides Fingolfin)...who Legolas..to me is Beleg reborn!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Apr 4 2013, 4:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.