Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOLG..his design
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 50 (1271 views)
Shortcut
BOLG..his design Can't Post

Since there has been so much discussion on Azog and we are now moving on to Desolation of Smaug...how about a discussion on the next antagonist in this next installment...BOLG...discuss what we like about his look as that is all we know of the character. Do many of us fans like...love...or hate the design?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 9:32pm

Post #2 of 50 (769 views)
Shortcut
He looks very scary [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the most scary critter out of all in these films. Not sure whether he might be too scary-looking for children.

Wonder whether his voice will be as good as Azog's and I do like his deep, earth-shattering voice and the fact that he speaks Orkish.

cats16
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 9:44pm

Post #3 of 50 (668 views)
Shortcut
I agree with both of Glorfindela's points [In reply to] Can't Post

And also will add that his beard-thingy is somewhat unique, in that we don't see this much color in any other of the "main Orcs" we have met so far. They only have one or two main colors that they are composed of. But Bolg has a lot going for him in that respect, with the orange and reddish beard along with the brownish armor and his pale skin tone.

I think he is the most deranged-looking character of these films, also. Whereas Gothmog, Azog, and even Lurtz seemed to have some degree of hygiene (as far as Orcs go...), Bolg on the other hand appears to have zero tidiness or hygiene. Also I can't tell whether or not he has blood all over his chin. If so...yikes. Based on the look he is giving in the picture, I wonder if that's not even his blood...?

On the whole, though, I like his design quite a bit. He has a very unique design, regardless whether or not someone like it or not. We all should be able to admit that. I think he's going to be a pretty nasty, vile character that we're all going to love to hate (based on what he'll do in the story).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 9:53pm

Post #4 of 50 (674 views)
Shortcut
He looks great. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very creepy, very scary, very menacing. Much better than his professional wrestler dad. Plus, prosthetics! Costume! An actual actor! Can't wait to see more of him.

And i agree that, going on the little we've seen so far, he may just be the coolest looking orc yet (Although he's got a lot to live up to-- Lurtz was pretty awesome).

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 3 2013, 10:00pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 50 (703 views)
Shortcut
here's his look [In reply to] Can't Post

[Click]

Quite terrifying I'd say!

Edit: Sorry for the gigantic picture, it wouldn't resize smaller when I tried it :(

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Apr 3 2013, 9:57pm)

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 9:55pm

Post #6 of 50 (639 views)
Shortcut
Yes Bolg is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

shaping up to be a nasty, nasty Orc! And I might add he may surpass Azog especially in his rule and cruelness! It would be a waste if he was not...going by his design! I hope he rules merciless enough to be Azog eventual replacement and lead The Orcs of Gundabad in a terrifying assualt out of the blue!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Apr 3 2013, 9:57pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:06pm

Post #7 of 50 (602 views)
Shortcut
bears [In reply to] Can't Post

2 bears feet on his shoulders? is this a prelude to something?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 10:06pm

Post #8 of 50 (596 views)
Shortcut
I like his design [In reply to] Can't Post

So far the orc designs have been better imo than they were in LOTR. The hobbit orcs feel much, or at least a bit more unique. I like that his design has color. These days designers seem to fear color, as if only dark and monotonous things are cool. But if you look at the design of any of the great superheroes or villains (or pretty much any iconic character for that matter, with only one or two exceptions), they always have a distinctive color palette. And when you think of that character, you instinctively think of the colors, you can almost feel them.

Some people have said he looks like a masters of the universe character. Well, I think that's great. Those charcters were very memorable in their design, and not just some random, dark, generic things. I think the design work in the Hobbit films, what we've seen so far, is yet another aspect that shows that the whole crew that's making these films is having fun. And having fun with design creates hits and misses, and being careful when you are designing creates generic and boring things we've seen (and already forgotten) before.

Overall I think Bolg looks very scary in a fun way, something that I would have loved to hate and fear as a child, and hope to do so come december. In fact, I think I have to go now, because I have to write Santa a letter and ask him to bring me a Bolg action figure.

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 3 2013, 10:08pm

Post #9 of 50 (602 views)
Shortcut
Are those bear paws over his shoulders?? [In reply to] Can't Post

They look like some kind of animal paw with long claws, like a bear and I guess this would tie in with Beorn possibly finishing off Bolg in BOFA as a revenge. In fact, Bolg's whole hair and beard could be part of a slaughtered bear's skin, possibly. I can't see from this view whther the beard is growing from his chin or not, but orcs do not generally seem to have beards (I suppose reflecting their putative origin as corrupted elves)

Thanks for posting
Edit- just seen that jimmyfenn is thinking the same sort of way- he beat me to it! Also on a second look the hair and beard look too long to be bear fur. Maybe scalped dwarf??!!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

(This post was edited by elaen32 on Apr 3 2013, 10:12pm)

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 10:10pm

Post #10 of 50 (591 views)
Shortcut
Yes jimmyfenn I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

the bear paws will lead to some back story...perhaps a beef with the mighty Beorn? Thus Beorn...at least in the book winding up crushing Bolg!

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:11pm

Post #11 of 50 (642 views)
Shortcut
another photo [In reply to] Can't Post

from another angle

can't tell if he has a beard or if that's coming from beneath his armor

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 10:16pm

Post #12 of 50 (608 views)
Shortcut
I think a lot of people here were theorizing a few months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

that that's a dwarf beard that he "scalped" in battle. Sounds good to me.

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 3 2013, 10:17pm

Post #13 of 50 (572 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

on enlarging this, it does appear that the hair is coming from his head and chin- so maybe is his own- pretty yuk anyway! Although, as I said above- could be scalped dwarf- held on to Bolg's head by the metal work!! What a revolting thought!!! Certainly is an "interesting" look though

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:21pm

Post #14 of 50 (552 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

i still think he looks like a gelf from red dwarf!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 10:23pm

Post #15 of 50 (584 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

must have made sweet love with a decrepid and alcoholic metal band player.

Unimpressed

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 3 2013, 10:27pm

Post #16 of 50 (561 views)
Shortcut
Another pretty "yuk" concept!!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownWink

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 10:36pm

Post #17 of 50 (527 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about that, or I was trying not to.Wink
I wonder, now that we've seen dwarf women, will we get to see orc women?

maybe after the Hobbit is done we could get a spinoff sitcom detailing the charming everyday life of Azog and his family.Smile

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:49pm

Post #18 of 50 (532 views)
Shortcut
Morbid, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

a seemingly accurate theory since he is very menacing!

imin
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 11:46pm

Post #19 of 50 (484 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Beastman [In reply to] Can't Post

http://img.photobucket.com/...of_Evil/beastman.jpg

http://www.toymania.com/...Beastman%20front.JPG

http://www.ddsite.com/he-man_beast_man.jpg

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 4 2013, 12:01am

Post #20 of 50 (485 views)
Shortcut
Except for the white skin [In reply to] Can't Post

he doesn't look much like Azog. Is the white-skinned orc a different species or just a subset of "orc"?

Lio
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 12:22am

Post #21 of 50 (483 views)
Shortcut
You can get a good look at Bolg's design from the various figures that have been made of him [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite honestly they give a lot more detail than the couple of movie stills we got of him!

Doesn't he just have the best fashion sense in Middle-earth? Glue bear paws on your shoulders! Staple a Dwarf beard to your chin! Stick a spine on your, um, spine! And you too could look awesome like Bolg!

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 12:24am

Post #22 of 50 (443 views)
Shortcut
HaHA.. Beastman [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats funny and OHHH SO true LOL Wink. I'm not a huge fan the look but at least its a actor in a suit instead of some cartoon character painted over top of the scene. Crazy

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 12:40am

Post #23 of 50 (464 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't Azog originally an actor in a suit? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, there's still time for Bolg...Wink

But, in any case, I like the beastman look. Beastman was awesome, and Bolg is like a realistic, horryfying nightmarish version of beastman. Hopefully the Necromancer will be a muscular, blue skeleton with a yellow face.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Apr 4 2013, 12:46am)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 1:01am

Post #24 of 50 (455 views)
Shortcut
I think what is now Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

was originally Azog, but they couldn't make up their minds on what direction to go so now we get both... Hopefully they keep the guy in the suit because IMO the CGI Azog stunk.Unsure

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 2:13am

Post #25 of 50 (424 views)
Shortcut
Note that his face is stapled together, and recall Dwallin hacking him with an axe [In reply to] Can't Post

several times bore the great gate of Moria.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.