Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
tauriel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 11:38am

Post #1 of 102 (4865 views)
Shortcut
tauriel Can't Post

the more i get excited about the next film, the more trepidation i get about tauriel.

i just dont really want a made up character taking up a large portion of the second film, i could just about cope with legolas appearing,or even arwen going all action hero in lotr, but this just seems to much.. there is not even a basis for the character! im all hot female eleves, but not when it comes to just making stuff up for the sake of it!

im trying to keep an open mind!

p.s did anyone find out who the pretty elf harpist was in auj yet?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 12:08pm

Post #2 of 102 (4084 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

The existence of other Mirkwood elves other than the elven king is acknowledged in the book. It is likely (and necessary for the film) that some of them would have roles in the community/converse with the king in order to create a sense of a community in the elven kings halls. It is not unlikely some of these would be female. What more basis or 'sake' for the character do you need?

What indication have we had that she'll take up a large portion of the film? Some odd jokes about an relationship between her and Kili (that will probably not amount to more than an odd look or line from Kili mainly played for comic effect)? Evangeline Lily saying her role has grown more demanding (i.e. she's got bit of fighting to do in the BOFA)? None of the gives me any reason to worry.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 12:48pm

Post #3 of 102 (3991 views)
Shortcut
jimmyfenn [In reply to] Can't Post

I often don't agree with your comments. However, I do agree with this one. I don't like the idea of a completely made-up character being included in the film and being given any importance, particularly since this is a 'ticking all the boxes' device.

If this 'character' makes any more than a fleeting appearance, it could take me right out of the film.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 102 (3995 views)
Shortcut
That girl elf in you avatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Where is she from bro?Cool I looked everywhere in the movie and couldn't find her.BTW i don't like Tauriel either.Wink

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 3 2013, 1:02pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 1:28pm

Post #5 of 102 (3965 views)
Shortcut
I second this [In reply to] Can't Post

people are already making too many judgements about then ext two movies when we don't know basically anything about them Unsure I highly doubt Tauriel will be much of a distraction.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 1:38pm

Post #6 of 102 (3942 views)
Shortcut
Have to Admit [In reply to] Can't Post

that I was annoyed when I first read about this. My first impression was that PJ and Company felt the need of a female character and so made up this one. This is unnecessary. I loved TH and didn't care that there were no female characters in it. Are we going to have the same discussion about Alfrid?

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 1:53pm

Post #7 of 102 (3935 views)
Shortcut
Much as I love elves and a strong female character.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm nervous about her too. I am OK with Legolas (and not just because Orlando Bloom is very pretty to look at) because it is plausible he'd be there. I'm even OK with the concept of the character. Tolkien said that elven women could be warriors. I just always worry whenever PJ adds things, because the LOTR changes (elves at Helm's Deep or a Frodo detour through Osgiliath anyone?) really annoyed me. I'm hoping she's well executed and interesting, with enough depth to be more than just a token female character, but not given a more prominent role than is necessary.

That brings me to the other reason why I hate additions....it drives me nuts when good scenes are cut for the sake of running time or pace of the movie, but then we have to sit through unnecessarily long action sequences. If good moments from the book are sacrificed to build lengthy backstory for an invented character, I will be as cranky as a hobbit without elevenses.

For the record, even though I've longed for a female elf warrior to cheer for since first reading the books, I *hated* warrior Arwen. Maybe Tauriel will be awesome...but I'm not certain.

My elfling's LOTR commentary: (from when she was 4)

On Arwen: That princess is sad because she wants her Daddy.
On Eowyn: That princess is sad because she wants to ride horses with all the boys. They should let her play too.
On Legolas: What is that princess' name?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 2:09pm

Post #8 of 102 (3906 views)
Shortcut
I like the changes, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially the Osgiliath scene. TTT had to have a climax for Frodo, and chronologically they couldn't end TTT with Shelob. So why not have the climax be with a Nazgul swooping down and tempting Frodo?

On the matter of Tauriel, I don't see the big deal of why she'll be a detriment to the film. We don't even know her full screentime yet. Some of you act as if all of film 2 is gonna be set exclusively on her, and that they won't even show Bilbo and the dwarves.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 2:45pm

Post #9 of 102 (3876 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't the Nazgul attack that bothered me in Osgiliath. I agree it made a nice climactic moment. For me, it was the fact that Faramir diverted them there in the first place. I am OK with some changes. I'm only a part-time purist. Tongue

The changes that bother me most are ones that involve a complete misrepresentation of the character. Therefore, Faramir falling prey to the desire of bringing his father a mighty gift didn't sit well with me, because it was counter to the book character's core. Arwen being willing to start her journey toward the Havens was the same sort of thing. So far, I actually think the characters in The Hobbit have been kept very true-to-form, and I really can't fault their portrayals.

I think, as with all things, there's a continuum of feeling regarding Tauriel. There are people who are absolutely livid, people who think she'll be amazing, and then people like me who were overall happy with the films, but left feeling little disappointed, and so are a little wary of what's to come.

I would agree that there seems to be a handful of people making rather extreme statements about the upcoming films, but there are also quite a few rather sweeping statements being made about others' views on the films.

My elfling's LOTR commentary: (from when she was 4)

On Arwen: That princess is sad because she wants her Daddy.
On Eowyn: That princess is sad because she wants to ride horses with all the boys. They should let her play too.
On Legolas: What is that princess' name?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 2:51pm

Post #10 of 102 (3920 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's response [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really kicking a dead horse. We've been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Here is Tauriel's response.

Link

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 2:56pm

Post #11 of 102 (3875 views)
Shortcut
I hope they are wise with all this [In reply to] Can't Post

Or making up love triangles mess.

Otherwise is everything OK to add females, after all itīs implied in the book to imagine female elves as well as female hobbits and dwarves walking around somewhere

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 3:02pm

Post #12 of 102 (3853 views)
Shortcut
If they are just 'walking around' [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fine by me. However, I really don't want to see a made-up character that has been included (and given some plot line) to pander to the OMG brigade.

In Reply To
Or making up love triangles mess.

Otherwise is everything OK to add females, after all itīs implied in the book to imagine female elves as well as female hobbits and dwarves walking around somewhere

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 3 2013, 3:16pm

Post #13 of 102 (3856 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid vs Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is one so worrying but not the other? Is it the enormous glow of brilliance surrounding Stephen Fry acting as a shield for all characters connected to the master of Laketown?

Shall we add additional characters to Laketown and Imladris freely but only feature Thranduil (and maybe Legolas if he doesn't do anything) in Mirkwood? If we agree that some characters are ok to add, should we make sure all additional added characters are male and/or not capable of romantic notions - or pose no such threat?

I think Tauriel fills a needed hole that I am convinced led to many people missing something from TH:AUJ. I can understand why TH:AUJ had no female characters added. There just wasn't any space to work with since so many male characters had to be introduced and there wasn't much gray area/open interpretation space to work with. However, both Mirkwood and Laketown have lots of this kind of free-space and I expect to see major female roles in both.

So I really wonder why there are no major female roles from Laketown announced as of yet! These are men, not dwarves who can be excused somewhat considering that the females are apparently endowed with male traits like beards that could confuse gender assumptions/interpretations of outsiders anyway. Men don't have long lifespans like dwarves and elves. If there is a population of them at Laketown then there must be females nearby.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 3:23pm

Post #14 of 102 (3818 views)
Shortcut
Its not the walking around part that concerns me [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the fact that she is a completely made up non Tolkien character, taking on a major role in part of the plot of the films that are supposed to be based on the Hobbit. Which should first and foremost be about Bilbo's adventure there and back again. Not all the other minor stops along the way. Every made up invention of his own in Jackson's LOTR did not even come close to the greatness of when he stuck to the blueprint Tolkien gave him and the Hobbit proves the same IMO. It's not that she's female, but the fact that her creation, dialogue, whole existance in these films is based on nothing Tolkien other than a nameless character in a couple sentences from the book. I would accept her role if she had been even based on a character (captain of the guard) in more than just one or two sentences. None of which will probably happen, cause I don't see them letting their "strong female character" get drunk and pass out for Bilbo to "borrow" her keys. I don't mind female elves I just don't think there needs to be a love interest at all and they should have at least based her on something from Tolkien instead of having to be politically correct just to include her.

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 3 2013, 3:24pm

Post #15 of 102 (3838 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I'm not too concerned either [In reply to] Can't Post

And why bother getting worked up over something we haven't even seen yet? Just fear based on assumptions, I suppose. I don't personally care if a character is introduced that isn't in the book. This isn't, The Hobbit: The Book! I highly doubt PJ brought her in just to be female eye-candy, and I haven't thought anything he's done thus far has been superfluous although I thought some things a bit over-the-top in AUJ. I'm wondering also if all this negativity for Tauriel before even seeing the film will already pre-dispose people to hate her character, no matter how it plays out. I'm actually thinking of getting off these boards soon, so I can go into the film with fresher eyes and not so many preconceptions.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Apr 3 2013, 3:31pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 3:30pm

Post #16 of 102 (3808 views)
Shortcut
Too much about too little [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Tauriel will end up being a nice addition. I don't expect her to have a ton of impact on the events and so won't affect the heart of the story. What I saw in the preview I liked so I'm going in feeling positive. Could it be a mistake? I figure she can't be any worse a character than say Tom Bombadil.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 3 2013, 3:36pm

Post #17 of 102 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Elf Harpist [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said here most likely the elf harpist is played by Melanie Carrington (link contains link to photo).

There was a lengthy discussion at Reddit about her, and not a nice one, with the conclusion being drawn that she was shopped in the film footage. However I think she was under normal make-up and studio lighting. It's common knowledge (at least I thought it was) that models are chosen for their bone structure since everything else is achieved by make-up and lighting anyway.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 3 2013, 3:44pm

Post #18 of 102 (3789 views)
Shortcut
Who says she's taking on a major role? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, as the OP says, that she's taking a large part of the film? Seems extremely unlikely to me, since she can't appear until they're well into Mirkwood and she won't be going on with them to Laketown. That's a whole lot of film where she won't appear at all, and even in the Elvenking's realm she will be secondary to the King himself, Bilbo, thirteen dwarves and probably Legolas as well. Come to that, who says that she's a love interest? Or there to serve political correctness?

All we know right now is that they've given a name and role to one of the unnamed elves of Mirkwood who appears in the book, and they've made her female. And that, it seems, really is what all the fuss is about, since no one seems bothered about the equally invented character Alfrid. I can't judge Tauriel's role yet because I don't know what it is - it amazes me that so many people think they can!

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 3:45pm

Post #19 of 102 (3781 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I've wondered what they would cast me as based on that. I'm 6' and 210lbs. I could maybe be a Dwarf or just a standard member of Lake Town in The Hobbit. I'd have loved to me a solider of Gondor in The Lord of the Rings.

Sorry just wanted to add this nothingness to the discussion.

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 3:49pm

Post #20 of 102 (3768 views)
Shortcut
Thatīs exactly what I was saying [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen

(This post was edited by Marionette on Apr 3 2013, 3:51pm)

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 3:50pm

Post #21 of 102 (3778 views)
Shortcut
Thats what I was saying [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats the thing with walking around quote that has so many replies ŋ?

Queen

(This post was edited by Marionette on Apr 3 2013, 3:51pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 3:53pm

Post #22 of 102 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Since my earlier post got deleted somehow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will reiterate that I think one of the reasons Tauriel's part is such an issue is because they have cast a well-known Hollywood actress...which kinda indicates that the part will be significantly more than just a "bit-part" as the Captain of the Guard from the book.

Alfrid, on the other hand, is being played by a much lesser-known actor.

I agreed with the comment about "ticking the Boxes" since it is becoming obvious that the film makers are following some sort of formula from LotR - not only do we have the Aragornization of Thorin, but Alfrid seems to be a similar sidekick character to Grima, and Lily is such a close copy of Liv Tyler that the reason they've given her red hair is probably to help differentiate between the two leading ladies... Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ŋ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Apr 3 2013, 3:54pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 3 2013, 4:02pm

Post #23 of 102 (3753 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

at least jimmyfenn asked about the Elf harpist from AUJ.Tongue

p.s did anyone find out who the pretty elf harpist was in auj yet?

FWIW, I really hope they can find a spot for you while shooting the additional footage. Be sure to say hi to Kate for us.Wink

PS you remind me of someone... someone official like. If I say aardvark what do you think of?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 3 2013, 4:09pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 4:09pm

Post #24 of 102 (3728 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

This is true. It allows me to not be so emotional about things. lol

Will do. Tongue

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 4:25pm

Post #25 of 102 (3724 views)
Shortcut
I was gonna say [In reply to] Can't Post

there are plenty of unnamed characters throughout the movies (and of course we assume there are plenty in the books, just not given any/much attention), but it seems to be that because this one was specifically given a name and she's a woman, and she will play a seemingly small role in the film...some people are getting a little too upset! Wait til the film is out and then we can debate later Smile No use disliking her before the film or it will be hard to try to like her during it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.