Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2013, 5:34am

Post #1 of 11 (184 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to the Walk to Rivendell: Late Edition! (well, it's still Thursday here in Colorado for a little while longer...) We've seen the return of some familiar faces, some inspiring hobbies, and the Road is heading in the direction of recovery for some of us. Huzzah for getting stronger, faster and healthier!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 172.35
Cumulative miles: 12568.68
Miles along the journey: 837.91
Miles out of Rivendell: 442.38

It's raining. And we just ran out of food. Before Bombur woke up; well, that's one positive, not having to carry him any longer!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 9
Cumulative miles: 505
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'm trending in a good direction, helped along by some weekend snow removal in addition to the treadmill time. Next week is Spring Break for the kids, so I'm hoping for some decent weather to go outside. It's a bit too early for hiking, though...

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 13
Cumulative miles: 516
Goal: Group Challenge

She started it. With her brother. The snow shoveling, that is. What really impressed me is that she finished clearing our next-door neighbors' sidewalk (the ones who had the fire and are out of their house for a while). Another of our neighbors had done a pass through with his snow blower, and Beamer decided to do the rest. Sometimes my kids surprise me with the ways they're growing up!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 29 2013, 8:50am

Post #2 of 11 (58 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad week, considering... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I spent two days more or less in the car, going on our mini-holiday... And this week is going to be similar since we are probably driving down to visit my family for Easter today.

Miles covered this week: 30
Cumulative miles: 319.2
Goal: There and Back Again!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2013, 11:59am

Post #3 of 11 (58 views)
Shortcut
No Snow! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm contributing 24 miles to the group.

I'm still in the Wild Lands, beginning to see the Trollshaws off in the distance to the East, on my trip to the Lonely Mountain.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 5:22pm

Post #4 of 11 (59 views)
Shortcut
Finally did some gardening last weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Little Goblin and I worked in the garden. We pulled nut grass (a never ending chore!) and planted corn and sunflower seeds. I gave myself a nice blister digging up the nut grass. Frown

Mileage since last time: 13.6
Cumulative miles: 650.15

I'll have some more gardening miles for next week, too!
Yay for spring!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Iolani
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 6:25pm

Post #5 of 11 (49 views)
Shortcut
That was very good of them [In reply to] Can't Post

That was very good of Beamer to held like that! I'm always amazed at the ways my siblings are growing up--so I can kinda see where you're coming from. (Especially during those times they actually say something smarter than I did, and I have nothing to say back...). Unimpressed Anyway, here's this week's progress! Hey, look at that, I'm on time!

miles this week: 24.6
cumulative: 966.2
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Keep up the determined work guys! We're going to reach the goal! (And after us going through all that jazz, the dragon will know not to mess with us). I'm very proud of us all.

By the way, anyone else here that is hoping to go to the next One Expected Parties? I know grammadawg is (I think I spelled it right), so I was wondering if anyone else was. Wouldn't it be cool if we were able to meet each other? That'd be awesome! I will be a LONG shot for me to go, but I'm still hoping. Hoping and working for something is half the adventure!HeartSly

Another thing--the weather was AWESOME today...70s and breezy. It was heaven! I went six miles, dancing along the road! (That's not quite an exaggeration--I did break out some dance moves). Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 1:32am

Post #6 of 11 (35 views)
Shortcut
Way to go, Beamer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gold star for the woman with a generous heart :) Good for you!

I was shoveling this weekend, too. But I was shoveling dirt to fill in the 8 inch deep mud ruts in my driveway and at the mailbox. Yep... in Michigan we have January, February, Mud, April, May... we be boggin in da mud fersher!

So Gandalf, Bilbo and I are still in the neighbourhood of Weathertop. Cripes that's a big mountain! So on we go to see what's on the other side :) Have a great trompy week everybody... and thanks for keeping us on the road, Arandiel!!

Miles covered: 21
Cumulated miles: 1890
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 2:08am

Post #7 of 11 (33 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What were you doing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Running alongside the car?!? That's fantastic mileage! :) I hope you had a great time during the Holiday... mini and family :D See you on the road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 2:09am

Post #8 of 11 (32 views)
Shortcut
Say HI to the boys for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just don't let them "have you" for dinner. They enjoy stewing things ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 2:12am

Post #9 of 11 (38 views)
Shortcut
Gardening is in my future. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. This morning... after having a 50 degree day on Easter... this Monday morning I got SLAMMED with a sleet storm that buried everything in sight! *sigh* Our weather is such a tease!

I hope you have fun waking up your garden.... sans blisters, please ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 2:39am

Post #10 of 11 (35 views)
Shortcut
Save your pennies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I whole-heartedly encourage anyone who wants to meet up with fellow sibbies and have the time of your life to start saving your pennies and make it happen! Even if you can't get there until February 2015 for the last Middle-earth Oscar party, it's worth it! And it will be the very last Party for The Hobbit :(

P'raps I'll see you there!! :D In the meantime... I'll see you on the road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 12:33am

Post #11 of 11 (27 views)
Shortcut
I'm actually picking up pennies off the road while exercising... [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be so cool to go together.... I'll certainly be praying and working my butt off to get it done! Wink

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.