Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Calling all the "Knitters"....

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 31 2013, 9:38pm

Post #1 of 11 (140 views)
Shortcut
Calling all the "Knitters".... Can't Post

So "Game of Thrones" Season 3 begins tonight. (On Easter Sunday, by the Seven! Sly)
Who's watching or not? Thoughts? Expectations? Dread?

I question, though, HBO dragging this out. Splitting ASOS into 2 seasons, plot-packed though it is. At this rate, the series will go on for a decade, even though George is taking as long as the seven hells to finish Book 6. By then I fear it may venture on parody. With all the ramped-up gore and lovey-doveyness I am hearing about this time around, I fear it may already by venturing there?

Oh--and about spoilers. Per the recent Entertainment weekly article, the Two Initials for a certain event (you fans know what i mean)..try not to mention them, eh?

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 11 (86 views)
Shortcut
We'll be watching... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait, but since I've read the books, I do have some dread about how this season will end. I don't mind HBO dragging it out, though- there's more than enough material in the third book to fill two 10-episode series. Martin has told the producers of the show how it ends, so that even if he doesn't finish the books for whatever reason, they can continue on. I don't know how it will end, and I don't ever make assumptions on how things in the future might be (because what's the point of worrying about it now?).

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 11:26pm

Post #3 of 11 (86 views)
Shortcut
definitely will be watching got tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

...tho i don't get your reference to "knitters"....

one thing i'm disappointed in already... we won't get to see the actor who played jaqen h'ghar again, now that he's changed his face.

a girl loved this actor in this role.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 1:35pm

Post #4 of 11 (75 views)
Shortcut
The TORn usage of the term comes from this : [In reply to] Can't Post

...women are intersted in knitting more than the great questions and invented universes.

from this particular post.
He didn't last long here. ;)

"Knitters" are "femine" members of TORn who watch or read sci-fi or fantasy... even though our gender makes us less interested in such genres. That must be why I'm "NARF" in Middle-earth and in a galaxy far, far away. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Apr 1 2013, 1:38pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 1 2013, 5:53pm

Post #5 of 11 (67 views)
Shortcut
A handy guide for board members [In reply to] Can't Post

is TORNspeak - The TORN Dictionary. It has lots of listings of the phrases that have sprung up on our boards over the years. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 2 2013, 12:29am

Post #6 of 11 (46 views)
Shortcut
Jeez, Eowyn... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lot of terms in yr footer. Sly

And thanks for the guide. I was hoping someone would link to that post. I find that article more insulting the more I read it. The writer was a douche. This is another indication, along with the Editor In Chief's premature demise of the NYT Green Blog (the Times's popular Environmental section) that the Grey Lady is in sad decline. I wonder how they'd have written up Star Wars today. Darn you Rupert Murdoch.

I should have put "For Game of Thrones fans" as a thread title. Guess not a lot of people watched after all...

As per the Disney locations in today's sib foters, courtesy of the mods:) I'd like to submit my Westeros location. Instead of "Tol Eressea" or "Robin Hood's Forest", mine would be Winterfell. Folk are honarable up there...or mostly so.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 2 2013, 1:45am

Post #7 of 11 (47 views)
Shortcut
I watched [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I haven't read the books recently so I don't worry over the differences, but I think I'm starting to lose track of who's who. I may need to make some flash cards for next week! Cool

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

bborchar
Rohan

Apr 2 2013, 2:31am

Post #8 of 11 (34 views)
Shortcut
I think quite a few people watched... [In reply to] Can't Post

4.4 million watched the premiere, and the sum total ended up being about 6.7 million (watching the reruns over the next two hours). I'm sure millions more have seen it by now. But I had never heard the term "knitter" before, either, so I wouldn't have known that this thread was about GoT XD This episode was mostly about set-up, but it will definitely be rolling by the end of the month.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:53am

Post #9 of 11 (33 views)
Shortcut
thanks guys -- [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

...women are intersted in knitting more than the great questions and invented universes.

from this particular post.
He didn't last long here. ;)

"Knitters" are "femine" members of TORn who watch or read sci-fi or fantasy... even though our gender makes us less interested in such genres. That must be why I'm "NARF" in Middle-earth and in a galaxy far, far away. =)

the link explained a lot. the post from that one individual was not unlike things a girl had read before, but whenever a girl reads those sorts of things, a girl does a fresh facepalm.

a girl was so glad to read the abundant rebuttals.

a girl actually had read the original column before. a girl found it rather shallow, and unsubstantive.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2013, 2:58am

Post #10 of 11 (33 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Jaqen. I told my husband I was going to start saying, a mom is going to cook dinner. a mom is going to do the dishes. a mom is going grocery shopping.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 3:05am

Post #11 of 11 (64 views)
Shortcut
multiple, multiple, multiple -- a successive string of lols!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved Jaqen. I told my husband I was going to start saying, a mom is going to cook dinner. a mom is going to do the dishes. a mom is going grocery shopping.

a girl laughs and laughs and laughs!!!!! multiple, multiple, multiple -- a successive string of lols!!!!

hah! (and cheers)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.