Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Book 1 compared to movie

ElendilTheShort
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 11:45pm

Views: 610
Shortcut
Book 1 compared to movie [In reply to] Can't Post

All of book 1 is exceedingly important as it gives scale to the greater story. It grounds the hobbits, and their homeland as that of the everyman and provides a somewhat familiar context for the reader. The adventures they encounter are largely their own to deal with, and their own great worth, humanity and most importantly the friendship amongst themselves is shown in this period, prior to them becoming part of something greater, although clearly the events that surround them and the people they encounter open up doors to the view of the greater story and provide hints of a deep history relevant to the current people, powers and events. I find Book 1 to be in many ways the most pleasing aspect of the story. This is not to say that the story gets worse, indeed it does not but it becomes bigger and familiarity, comfort and home as represented by the Shire dissipates into often hostile surroundings. Dealing with Wraiths, Wights and Ferny's remains on a small personal scale for Book 1, they are still at home or near home and the big step to adventure is not taken until they leave Rivendell.

Whereas in the movie it was a very empty feeling when they arrived at Bree with very little adventure. I will always agree that Bombadil and even the barrow can be excluded from the big story arc, diminishing it but not ruining it, but the scale of the Hobbits achievments to that point and the scale of their story is greatly reduced, there is no introduction to the larger world, they are just suddenly thrust into it. It is an opinion I find hard to express as it is somewhat intangible but I do not think that there are any loose ends left behind as mini adventures in Book 1, I think all that happens is very important to the overall story as it gives it scale. Similarly with any criticism of style, I think it is intentional, the Hobbits are not wordly but they are becoming so and even though the writer is the narrator of the story and does not represent the view of any one character, the way it is written and the style changes reflects the Hobbits growing awareness of the wider world and the conflict they have become part of.

Subject User Time
Tolkien's universe as solid and consistent/inconsistent, and his writing process noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 31 2013, 11:04am
    Themes and devices squire Send a private message to squire Mar 31 2013, 3:00pm
        That's a masterly reply noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 31 2013, 3:37pm
            ignoring the issue and emphasizing other angles - a strength sometimes! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 31 2013, 4:24pm
            Ah, you scored a bulls-eye CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 1 2013, 12:51pm
        interesting response elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Apr 2 2013, 4:39pm
            Some inconsistencies Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 2 2013, 5:57pm
                hmm elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Apr 2 2013, 9:22pm
                    The decisions of Faramir, Elrond and Cirdan. Choices or devices... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 2 2013, 11:22pm
                        Cirdan or Elrond taking the ring by force ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 12:07am
                            True, if we interpret it as the moral choice vs device Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 12:16am
                                I was really only commenting that Elrond and Cirdan are of such good character that they would not murder an ally, that was my principle point. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 7:44am
                                    Elrond or Cirdan's choices Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 3:45pm
                            But that was not the question. sador Send a private message to sador Apr 3 2013, 6:23am
                                Pushing Isildur into the fire ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 7:31am
                        Faramir was not affected by the Ring... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Apr 3 2013, 8:33am
                            This is what they neglected in the movies ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 11:14am
                                Back to devices and themes! (and a note about chucking Isildur in the lava) noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 3 2013, 12:33pm
                                    Thematic rings CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 3 2013, 1:20pm
                                    I think it is important to note that if we are talking about plot devices and themes ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 7:29pm
                                        Very true... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 8:34pm
                                        A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little [hobbit] minds CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 3 2013, 9:12pm
                                            Do you mean that some inconsistencies might be deliberate? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 4 2013, 9:03am
                                                Yes CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 4 2013, 3:44pm
                                                    Does it depend where you've "shelved" Tolkien, mentally? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 4 2013, 5:09pm
                                                        Good observation CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 4 2013, 5:40pm
                                                            I do not see thing temptation of the Ring as inconsistent at all, if that is what you are saying. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 4 2013, 7:28pm
                                                                Thoughts about Faramir FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Apr 5 2013, 1:01pm
                                                                    JRRT's enigmas may be devices, or they may point to something else Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 5 2013, 4:26pm
                                                                        Well... CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 5 2013, 4:42pm
                                                                            (*wink*) Excellent committee notes CG....! ;-) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 5 2013, 4:55pm
                                                                                Those safest with the Ring are those who know their limits noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 7 2013, 3:08pm
                                                                                    The wimpy Black Riders noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 7 2013, 4:52pm
                                                                                        Generally, I see the Weathertop episode as a flaw CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 7 2013, 8:16pm
                                                                                            Yeah it does so stand up to scrutiny, Tolkien explains it in length. The following paraphrases as the books are not handy to my location, I will have to start taking them everywhere with me. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 8 2013, 12:00am
                                                                                                Aragorn's role at Weathertop is very interesting. noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 8 2013, 9:45am
                                                                                                    And what makes absolutely no sense CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 8 2013, 6:43pm
                                                                                    Reread my Faramir again... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 8 2013, 5:31pm
                            Very true.. elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 3 2013, 1:32pm
                                I think the Ring plays on character's strengths as much as their flaws CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 3 2013, 3:19pm
                                You are right - I remember the writers discussing Faramir Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 4:54pm
                            I don't see it as an exposure issue for Faramir Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 3:29pm
                                Although, I am not sure how much was known of the Ring in Gondor elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 3 2013, 8:53pm
                                    You are correct Elaen Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 9:22pm
                        internal coherence elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Apr 3 2013, 3:21pm
                            You make excellent points Elostirion Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 4:32pm
                    The movies ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 3 2013, 12:00am
    Great discussion idea! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 31 2013, 5:35pm
        Gnawing the ends of old plots noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 1 2013, 11:11am
            Gnawing the ends of old jokes squire Send a private message to squire Apr 1 2013, 10:40pm
                Book 1 compared to movie ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Apr 1 2013, 11:45pm
                    Heroes' journey, with a detour noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 2 2013, 8:02am
                        Well CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 2 2013, 1:12pm
                I am so enjoying your posts Squire Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 2 2013, 5:34pm
                Book I Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 2 2013, 11:35pm
                stylistic variety elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Apr 3 2013, 9:16pm
            The DS as a plot device Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 2 2013, 7:16pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.