The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ's box office run come to an end?

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 19 (854 views)
Shortcut
AUJ's box office run come to an end? Can't Post

Looks like it went out of US theatres a couple of days ago (I don't live in the US but looking at the daily numbers this seems to be the case) and also all over the world AUJ has run it's course (I don't know if it has ended it's run in China, though)

Either way, this will pretty much be it when all is said and done:

Total Lifetime Grosses Domestic: $302,757,024 29.8% + Foreign $712,800,000 70.2%
= Worldwide: $1,015,557,024 Domestic Summary Opening Weekend: $84,617,303
(#1 rank, 4,045 theaters, $20,919 average) % of Total Gross: 27.9%

I'm very happy with these results, I was never one of those who predicted it to compete with Avatar's incredible numbers. I had hoped for 1 billion worldwide and 1 billion worldwide was produced.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

demnation
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 1:09pm

Post #2 of 19 (481 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know how much of TH numbers are from 3d? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I know about 80-85 percent of Avatars gross came from 3d, which probably inflated the numbers quite a bit.

Use Well the Days

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 1:13pm

Post #3 of 19 (461 views)
Shortcut
I think these are great numbers! // [In reply to] Can't Post

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 1:47pm

Post #4 of 19 (458 views)
Shortcut
Not bad [In reply to] Can't Post

When it was coming to an end and started adding the second run stuff I said it would hit 303 million. It didn't but darn it didn't make an effort. lol I'm glad it ended up doing so well and am pleased we got such an awesome film. Cool

(This post was edited by Elessar on Apr 1 2013, 1:48pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 19 (452 views)
Shortcut
It is still playing [In reply to] Can't Post

In a little over 200 theaters in the US; but WB has stopped reporting earnings it appears.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 2:11pm

Post #6 of 19 (454 views)
Shortcut
I was really hoping for it to pass [In reply to] Can't Post

Skyfall domestically for 4th place-- it's sooo close (only 1.5 mil. away). Oh, well, i'm sure it'll so eventually with all the trilogy showings it's bound to get. Maybe it'll even do it later this year if theaters re-show it before the DoS release (i'd go)...

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 1 2013, 2:12pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 3:16pm

Post #7 of 19 (415 views)
Shortcut
I'd go to a part 1 before part 2 as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done that numerous times and its quite fun.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2013, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 19 (377 views)
Shortcut
I'm really, really pleased [In reply to] Can't Post

that after the tortuous road of getting these films green-lit, the first film has been so successful for everyone involved. It wasn't long ago that that there was no way we'd ever see The Hobbit on film, and now we're one (very popular) film down with two more to go.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 19 (369 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember following that big rollercoaster of trying to get the movie made, that was a mess for a while!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 7:43pm

Post #10 of 19 (363 views)
Shortcut
Me neither. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was never one of those who predicted it to compete with Avatar's incredible numbers.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 1 2013, 11:11pm

Post #11 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
Not quite. They may only be doing Weekend updates on Mondays now. Current count is up [In reply to] Can't Post

to roughly 302 million 850 thousand, so they are still making money, and might get to 302.9 before all is said and done.

In Reply To
Looks like it went out of US theatres a couple of days ago (I don't live in the US but looking at the daily numbers this seems to be the case) and also all over the world AUJ has run it's course (I don't know if it has ended it's run in China, though)

Either way, this will pretty much be it when all is said and done:

Total Lifetime Grosses Domestic: $302,757,024 29.8% + Foreign $712,800,000 70.2%
= Worldwide: $1,015,557,024 Domestic Summary Opening Weekend: $84,617,303
(#1 rank, 4,045 theaters, $20,919 average) % of Total Gross: 27.9%

I'm very happy with these results, I was never one of those who predicted it to compete with Avatar's incredible numbers. I had hoped for 1 billion worldwide and 1 billion worldwide was produced.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 2 2013, 7:45am

Post #12 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
Looks like you're right, and it seems to have added more than 1 more million from China [In reply to] Can't Post

Worldwide total is now:

$1,016,849,493

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2013, 3:12pm

Post #13 of 19 (212 views)
Shortcut
Avatar was "Dances with Wolves" in OuterSpace? /// [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 2 2013, 7:31pm

Post #14 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping China would act as Greyskull, and give An Unexpected the power [In reply to] Can't Post

to overcome Alice at the least, and Phantom Menace. Doesn't look like that can happen now. HOWEVER, it still did very well, and that is to be celebrated.

In Reply To
Worldwide total is now:

$1,016,849,493

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 2 2013, 9:07pm

Post #15 of 19 (172 views)
Shortcut
I love He-Man [In reply to] Can't Post

That reference was awesome imo. Cool

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 2 2013, 10:52pm

Post #16 of 19 (160 views)
Shortcut
*wink* [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkCool

In Reply To
That reference was awesome imo. Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 2 2013, 11:24pm

Post #17 of 19 (159 views)
Shortcut
Another virtual high five? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think so Cool

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 3 2013, 12:14am

Post #18 of 19 (150 views)
Shortcut
Agreed my friend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaaaand, that is 302,860,000 plus as of today. I feel fairly confident it will clear 302.9 before ending its run. IF it can linger as long as Rise of The Guardians has managed to it may get to 303, but I wouldn't count on that.

In Reply To
I think so Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 1:35am

Post #19 of 19 (150 views)
Shortcut
I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

for it to make it to 303. That would be a nice final total considering it was considered a flop after opening weekend. Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.