Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
aHa!!! we have a confession!!! Azog..."pretty much fully formed"---
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 1:10am

Post #1 of 52 (1716 views)
Shortcut
aHa!!! we have a confession!!! Azog..."pretty much fully formed"--- Can't Post

I was watching a behind the scenes documentary about gollum and Azog, the digital artist when speaking about "rushing" Azog because at the last minute PJ wanted him CGI he says Azog was; "pretty much fully formed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSVQ4fdmpI

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 2:22am

Post #2 of 52 (870 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about fully formed [In reply to] Can't Post

he looked pretty fake and video game like on the big screen to me. It felt like he was rushed and no where near Golum's caliber. Honestly I thought the guy in the suit looked 100% better, but opinions very.Wink

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 3:01am

Post #3 of 52 (789 views)
Shortcut
It means that [In reply to] Can't Post

he will probably be even better looking in the next movies, because the post production team will have time to perfect him !

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 4:15am

Post #4 of 52 (753 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping they kill him off [In reply to] Can't Post

early in the second movie, but i fear my hopes will be dashed.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 4:34am

Post #5 of 52 (743 views)
Shortcut
it wouldn't make much sense.. [In reply to] Can't Post

if he doesn't die in DOS, because there is suppose to be a good fight between Thorin and Bolg in BOT5A. I can't see Azog and Bolg in the BOT5A. My theory, Thorin kills Azog in DOS, Bolg is out for revenge in TABA.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 4:37am

Post #6 of 52 (693 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

i do like Azog as a villain its just that i don't want them to diminish Bolg because of him.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 8:01am

Post #7 of 52 (624 views)
Shortcut
You and I both! Give Bolg some urge for vengeance and room to breathe. And [In reply to] Can't Post

the notion of Azog being prominent in all three films, and getting more screen time than ANY other major villain in the sextet. . . WOW does that rub the wrong way. It is extremely offensive when you really think about it. And for anyone tweeting about how such a badass orc as Azog deserves the extra play. . . Bandaboras Bullroarer Took was a bamf as well. . . but it would hardly do to replace Bilbo with him as the title character of The Hobbit, would it?! Frown

In Reply To
early in the second movie, but i fear my hopes will be dashed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Mar 31 2013, 8:35am

Post #8 of 52 (605 views)
Shortcut
Bullroarer Took? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would make for a fourth film!!!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Mar 31 2013, 8:37am

Post #9 of 52 (625 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just said a few days ago in an interview with Peter that Azog will be around for the next TWO films. So, yeah, Thorin gets his revenge in the battle of five armies, Bolg kills him and Fili and Kili, then Beorn comes to save the day.

utku
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 10:41am

Post #10 of 52 (557 views)
Shortcut
Bullroarer Took: The Invention of Golf [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Epic Saga Continues...'

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 12:16pm

Post #11 of 52 (536 views)
Shortcut
I must be the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

...who thought Azog looked really good.

* crunch *

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 12:26pm

Post #12 of 52 (512 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes i think some people saw a different movie.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 12:43pm

Post #13 of 52 (505 views)
Shortcut
I said this on another thread [In reply to] Can't Post

It is interesting, isn't it. The things people liked and didn't and how it seems we couldn't be looking at the same film.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 1:21pm

Post #14 of 52 (474 views)
Shortcut
Nope, I saw AUJ just like you. [In reply to] Can't Post

And i think Azog looks terrible. I just watched it again last night (7th time), and my opinion is still the same, only more so. I have come to the conclusion, however, that it's not the cgi that's the problem-- it's his design and portrayal. The weirdly muscled body, lack of armor, fake looking scars, the too-large square head that never looks right when he's talking. He's just too "human" seeming for an orc-- a very awkward mixture of human and orc. Plus, he's kind of a rip-off of Kratos. And for a character given so much screen time and so much story, he's very cliche and boring. He comes off more like a professional wrestler than one of the vilest orcs ever. Everything's just wrong about the character, and, most importantly, not very Middle-earth. He's seriously the only character in all of Jackson's fims that i have not liked at all.

And that's not even mentioning the major change to Tolkien's brilliant history for the character and the events surrounding him.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 31 2013, 1:37pm

Post #15 of 52 (523 views)
Shortcut
I know where part of Azog's design came from [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted it over in Off Topic, but it's not likely to be seen by many.

If you read point no. 2)

here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum_view_collapsed;

Smile

nhui06
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 1:52pm

Post #16 of 52 (453 views)
Shortcut
I second this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think Azog is a pretty cool-looking character too. Saw the movie 3 times and never had an issue with his look or his presence in the movie. I have accepted long ago most film from book movies are just loose interpretations, and learn to enjoy it, so I don't mind it. Need to watch the rest of the 2 films to form a clearer judgement.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 1:57pm

Post #17 of 52 (447 views)
Shortcut
it might just be MY opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

but I shouldn't have to learn to like, an adaptation of my favorite book being made into a film. They could at least get it close enough to be enjoyed without having to "learn to enjoy it". That is the problem I have with it. Because I see it as it could have been done without all the needless changes and still been a great set of films. But I'm glad for anyone who has "learned to" like it.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 2:10pm

Post #18 of 52 (433 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...who thought Azog looked really good.

I thought he looked incredible! Rushed or not, holy crap. So awesome.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 2:16pm

Post #19 of 52 (429 views)
Shortcut
There is love [In reply to] Can't Post

at first sight with cinema. It is the best kind. Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 2:27pm

Post #20 of 52 (447 views)
Shortcut
Great video [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad they decided to change him. He's like Kratos on steroids. Cool Only more hardcore because his markings are actual cuts in his skin. Same temperament as the fallen god of war, too. Azog just looks and feels so different from all the other Orcs we've seen in the previous movies. Love this guy. There's something so PJ about him somehow.

There's an image in my head... him alone on a cliff in the wilderness, staring into the distance while astride his special warg, bathed in the moonlight. It's striking because there's a certain melancholy and rough beauty in it. And beauty is not something I usually associate with Orcs. The dude stands out all right.

Ugly as heck, though. He's not going to win any beauty pagents. Not that he'd get any invites anyway. Azog is definitely not someone who you want at any civilized function. Great skittles player, though... even though he cheats. Sly

Azog: Defiling since 2790

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 2:57pm

Post #21 of 52 (441 views)
Shortcut
Some things i'd prefer not to hear when describing a Middle-earth character... [In reply to] Can't Post

"____ on steroids" or "hardcore". Next, Azog's going to be described as "the Xtreme orc!" It's all just a little too "dude-bro" for my tastes, just like Azog himself. And describing Azog as being like Kratos is not a compliment. Those games are fun, but i expect a major film based on a beloved and respected novel to do a little better than having a major, historically significant villain look like a cheesy, one-dimensional video game character from 2005.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 3:48pm

Post #22 of 52 (419 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Azog is *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

in flashback or dies at the start of the film. Otherwise, what a disgusting cram fest. Thorin has to wait a century to get his vengeance, but Bolg gets his in under ten minutes? A dead villain who gets three paragraphs worth of mention in the entire Legendarium comes forth to get more screentime than all of the other orcs, The Balrog, The Witch-King, Sauron and Saruman?!! (which is what will essentially happen if Azog survives across the whole of three films). Azog. Remember the name, because if he doesn't meet his end until the end of film three, lay audiences are going to remember him as one of the most prominent villains in this entire sextet of films, never knowing he was dead before most of the events in Episode 1 took place. Frown

In Reply To
It was just said a few days ago in an interview with Peter that Azog will be around for the next TWO films. So, yeah, Thorin gets his revenge in the battle of five armies, Bolg kills him and Fili and Kili, then Beorn comes to save the day.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 31 2013, 11:04pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 4:03pm

Post #23 of 52 (362 views)
Shortcut
His look has yet to bother me. Merely his contniued drawing of breath when, [In reply to] Can't Post

by all rights, he isn't "with us" anymore.

In Reply To
And i think Azog looks terrible. I just watched it again last night (7th time), and my opinion is still the same, only more so. I have come to the conclusion, however, that it's not the cgi that's the problem-- it's his design and portrayal. The weirdly muscled body, lack of armor, fake looking scars, the too-large square head that never looks right when he's talking. He's just too "human" seeming for an orc-- a very awkward mixture of human and orc. Plus, he's kind of a rip-off of Kratos. And for a character given so much screen time and so much story, he's very cliche and boring. He comes off more like a professional wrestler than one of the vilest orcs ever. Everything's just wrong about the character, and, most importantly, not very Middle-earth. He's seriously the only character in all of Jackson's fims that i have not liked at all.

And that's not even mentioning the major change to Tolkien's brilliant history for the character and the events surrounding him.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 4:13pm

Post #24 of 52 (360 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin has to wait a century to get his vengeance, but Bolg gets his in under ten minutes? A dead villain who gets three paragraphs worth of mention in the entire Legendarium comes forth to get more screentime than all of the other orcs, The Balrog, The Witch-King, Sauron and Saruman?!! (which is what will essentially happen if Azog survives across the whole of three films). Azog. Remember the name, because if he doesn't meet his end until the end of film three, lay audiences are going to remember him as one of the most prominent villains in this entire sextet of films, never knowing he was dead before most of the events in Episode 1 took place. Frown

I never would have thought Jackson/Walsh/Boyens would screw Tolkien up this badly.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 31 2013, 4:14pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 4:17pm

Post #25 of 52 (357 views)
Shortcut
aahh [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't this judging a bit too early? We don't know how Bolg will be presented yet, I feel like people are making assumptions before anything is even known yet >_< and setting themselves up for disappointment prematurely.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.