Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spoilers ahead.RA's climactic scene.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 10:02am

Post #1 of 85 (2224 views)
Shortcut
Spoilers ahead.RA's climactic scene. Can't Post

Do you think Richard Armitage can pull of the death scene and give it justice.I mean take a look at this clip.His performance is Bland,Wooden, and Uninspiring to say the least.I think he's an ok actor but this clip has given me doubts about his death scene.Unsure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRVh4PlIsTw

Not a very good performance here.Sorry.Mad I mean compare this to Boromirs scene and Sean Bean absolutely killed it.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 10:27am

Post #2 of 85 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Unfair Comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Robin Hood was a rather poor programme full of rather insipid performances, probably overseen by workmanlike directors. From what I've seen of RA so far, I'm convinced he'll pull it off. Plus you'll have Shore's music as well, which is so important in Boromir's passing.

LOTR is by far and away Bean's best work. I love Bean and I love Sharpe but honestly some of his acting in that can be really workmanlike at times, as though he's going through the motions. I tend to laugh at his reaction to Hagman and Harris' deaths, and he's particularly stiff at times in Challenge and Peril. But with good material and a good director he rises to the occasion. RA will too.

triptrap
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 10:41am

Post #3 of 85 (951 views)
Shortcut
there is hope [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a thing that i worry over a lot more. What bothers me in movie death scenes a lot of times is how you can see that it is completely staged. In soooo many cases the person gets hit, shot, strangled, what-evered and then falls and lays to die. And none of the other people try to help him. Like if you were a soldier and see someone wounded you wouldn't just sit around and hold their head and do nothing to help him until he dies. this is completely unrealistic. They know he is going to die because the storybook tells so and so they don't even try to help the person. things like these make me cringe in a lot of movies and i hope they pull it off better in the hobbit. i guess the chances are quite well since there are no contemporary medics around that could give thorin morphium and a pressure bandage, which makes it pretty clear that someone dies if he gets hacked by a pack of elite-orcs ;). But i do hope that they don't just let him lay around and then die with no efforts taken to save the KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN. i think they should at least carry him somewhere else and maybe let gandalf try to heal his wounds or so...

(This post was edited by triptrap on Mar 30 2013, 10:44am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 10:48am

Post #4 of 85 (942 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I have no doubt he'll (and the entire production team) will do it justice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Including the death of Smaug, this is the other most important scene. They won't get it wrong.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 11:32am

Post #5 of 85 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Look again... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. at the comment someone has posted under that clip. "I think this is one of the most beautiful and heart-rending scenes in the history of British Television. . . the acting of Richard here is some of the best throughout the entire show." So others didn't find it 'Bland, Wooden, and Uninspiring' (why the capital letters?).

I couldn't judge myself. For starters, the sound and lip movements are slightly out of sync in that clip, which makes it distracting, and as I didn't watch Robin Hood and have no idea how the characters and story had been written I find it impossible to judge that scene in isolation. Any death scene surely takes its power from what comes before. If you don't already know the character, if you haven't built up a response to him through the film or series then you're not going to feel anything much when he dies. You have to be involved already for it to touch you.

What I do know, from everything I've seen, is that RA is a much better actor than you're giving him credit for and he'll handle the scene just fine - as part of a whole story and a whole character.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 12:10pm

Post #6 of 85 (925 views)
Shortcut
I would focus on his performance only as Thorin so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Because so much of an actor's performance is dependent on the directing, editing, dialogue, camera angles, lighting, soundtrack, other actors, etc.

So far as Thorin - IMO - he's been very expressive, riveting even. Despite the prosthetics, for instance, in the scene between Thorin and Balin in Bag's End, there is more going on in just his eyes than some actors can express with two paragraphs of dialogue. He also has a magnificent voice that was not utilized in the scene from Robin Hood. For instance, in TH map reading scene, when he says to Elrond "Can you read them?" he says it with an undercurrent of breathlessness, hope against hope, fighting to stay calm - all in just four simple words.

I think - unfortunately for all of our eventually-to-be-broken hearts - Thorin's death scene is going to rival or even surpass Boromir's.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 12:15pm

Post #7 of 85 (911 views)
Shortcut
I'm absolutely certain he will pull it off [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a fine actor.

I'm not sure why a comparison has been drawn with Sean Bean, who is not a particularly good actor. Various spiv roles are what I saw him in in the UK before LOTR, and he always acts the same.

Richard Armitage is in another league altogether he is capable of living the part he plays.

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 12:56pm

Post #8 of 85 (921 views)
Shortcut
Baiting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a strong suspicion this poster is just baiting the coterie of fanladies who appear to find Richard Armitage's manly charms irresistible, but anyway, I think he can hardly be blamed for the quality of this scene. Every actor has less than Oscar worthy productions and performances within their CVs, including venerable stars like Ian McKellen. They dug out his first ever TV appearance on a chat show the other night, and Ian was laughing at it and explaining that he had tried to put on a posh accent and failed!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 1:43pm

Post #9 of 85 (885 views)
Shortcut
This was an amazing scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this show, and I found Jonas Armstrong and Richard Armitage's performances to be amazing, especially in these last two episodes. I see no problem with his acting here, and I'm not worried at all that he'll screw up Thorin's death.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 2:30pm

Post #10 of 85 (857 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He will pull it off. He's classically trained and will do an outstanding job. For one, Peter Jackson is directing. For two, He's playing off Martin Freeman. Enough said. It will be terrific.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 4:03pm

Post #11 of 85 (852 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a huge fan of Armitage's Thorin, but i will say this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was fine, if a tad on the boring/uninteresting side. But we have to keep in mind that his performance is calibrated on there being three films. So while i found his Thorin to be rather one-note, i do realize that there's more to come, and his character will grow and change. I'm trusting that all will be fine with Thorin and his story in Armitage's hands.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:09pm

Post #12 of 85 (763 views)
Shortcut
Could not agree more Ham Sammy! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He will pull it off. He's classically trained and will do an outstanding job. For one, Peter Jackson is directing. For two, He's playing off Martin Freeman. Enough said. It will be terrific.

What a team we have!!!!!!!!Heart Oh Martin....! After seeing his Sherlock grief - oh dear. If you remember I had to sit with a tissue for a while before going out, HS!

And I will refrain from any happy asides relating to appearance - as unfortunately the thing that seems to tell most AGAINST RA is his appearance, and I do not wish to unfairly undermine what I continue to feel is a subtle, evocative and (even through prosthetics) expressive performance. I agree with Ro, who posted last week about how classical training in a cast brings a great depth to TH, especially via his voice.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:13pm

Post #13 of 85 (746 views)
Shortcut
Agreed HamS...Martin delivers his lines differently.. [In reply to] Can't Post

each Take, so the same likely holds true for RA, too...
Then together he & PJ&CO pick which take to use?

It's been said PJ insists on many, many takes.

Bomby spent lasy night watching the EE of TTT and ROTK
PRODUCTION Appendices...
It's ALL there?

How does anyone think Anyone is gunna phone-in their Performance?
Everyone (Bomby means Everyone!)
works Sooo. hard to get it right,
All these World-Class Cast&Crew,
would notice if anyone was Freeloading..

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 4:50pm

Post #14 of 85 (749 views)
Shortcut
That's one way to learn not to take yourself too seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

To know that your entire career, missteps and all, are out there to be viewed (almost) forever and ever.

*cringe*

Really puts things in perspective!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:13pm

Post #15 of 85 (714 views)
Shortcut
Agree wholeheartedly [In reply to] Can't Post

His work is subtle. That's what makes it great. We don't need scene chewing acting. We just need him to pull it off. Oh and yes, after watching Martin in Reichenbach fall I have no doubt the play between RA and MF in terms of the grief and pathos is going to be awesome. I can't wait. By the way they're filming Sherlock season 3. It's going to be terrific. In so many ways.

But back to this, yes you and I agree it's going to be terrific. I can't wait well..yes I can..but no, I really can't...I mean..well you know what I mean Tongue

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

mefansmum
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 5:30pm

Post #16 of 85 (704 views)
Shortcut
I am not sure what you think that scene required but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Guy of Gisborne was in a slightly different place to Boromir at time of death. In Gisborne's last minutes he reflects on the love of his life and finally making peace with his brothers and his performance seemed very appropriate to me. There is no formula for death scenes and they are not all the same. I don't know if you have been with someone in their dying moments, but it can be very much like that with life just quietly ebbing away, especially if they get to be beyond feeling pain. It appears to me that Gisborne has reached those last moments from around when he says 'this is the end' and I would not be surprised if some thought has gone into that scene.

I expect PJ will decide what kind of death scene is required and that RA will deliver just fine and I usually would prefer to see something like that under emoted rather than over emoted.

mefansmum
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 5:42pm

Post #17 of 85 (671 views)
Shortcut
My previous post in the wrong place [In reply to] Can't Post

It is meant to be a reply to the original post. Sorry. Crazy

glor
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 6:47pm

Post #18 of 85 (688 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Robin Hood was a rather poor programme full of rather insipid performances, probably overseen by workmanlike directors

Agree.

BBC's Robin Hood wasn't a serious TV show, it had Keith Allen in itWink. It was tea time Saturday evening family fun stuff, cheap one take TV that felt like it was deliberately designed to be cheesy and over the top, like I say it did have Keith Allen in it.

(This post was edited by glor on Mar 30 2013, 6:52pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 7:00pm

Post #19 of 85 (669 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

why do you think he played a spy with no feeling, brainwashed by the government in spooks!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

ShireHorse
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 7:22pm

Post #20 of 85 (658 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

he was asked to play a brainwashed spy in Spooks and he played him. In fact, he played him so well that, for 3 seasons, we weren't quite sure who he was or whose side he was on.

And, in the Vicar of Dibley, he was asked to play a warm and charming next door neighbour: and he played him. And in North and South, he was asked to play an upright, uptight mill owner who felt more deeply than he cared to show: and he played him. And in Strike Back, he was asked to play the strong but vulnerable soldier: and he played him. And in Sparkhouse, he was asked to play a clumsy but decent farmhand: and he played him. Etc. Etc. Isn't that what a good actor does? Some actors just play themselves. Richard Armitage doesn't.

I expect to be very moved by Thorin's last scene..

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 7:56pm

Post #21 of 85 (603 views)
Shortcut
So would I [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, see the scene under emoted rather than over emoted. I'm not a fan of scene chewing. I think between Freeman and Armitage we are in for a treat.

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 8:00pm

Post #22 of 85 (661 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

And like you, I have no doubt that Thorin's last act will be excellent!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

emre43
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 8:07pm

Post #23 of 85 (644 views)
Shortcut
Richard is a great actor. Underrated by many [In reply to] Can't Post

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 8:10pm

Post #24 of 85 (629 views)
Shortcut
look out [In reply to] Can't Post

watch out richard..think you might need some sort of court order for this one :P

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 8:31pm

Post #25 of 85 (693 views)
Shortcut
RA will be fine *Spoilers* below [In reply to] Can't Post

I am more interested in how PJ will play this. Thorin falls in battle and Fili and Kili defend his body until they are killed. Beorn comes and scoops up Thorin's body and takes him out of the fray. He is not dead yet. Now what happens to F and K? The end of their story has to be told. Does Beorn take away all three? Are they left on the field? Inquiring minds want to know. Will each have a death scene of his own?

And we have already seen Thorin rescued from battle by the eagles after it looks like he is dead. Will Beorn's rescue be a special moment or look like more of the same?

Regardless, RA and MF are going to ensure massive profits for the tissue industry. It will be epic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.