The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
how to tell old threads have new replies

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 17 2007, 11:51am

Post #1 of 4 (946 views)
Shortcut
how to tell old threads have new replies Can't Post

OK, because I am an intuitive user of technology (meaning I don't always read the directions! LOL) I was having a hard time figuring out how to tell where the new replies to old threads (threads that weren't on the current page) were in the RR. I could see they were there in the main index (which shows number of new replies in red), but kept having to scroll back and back until I found them.

Because I use "expanded view" as a default and all the forums open that way for me.

But just in case anyone else is also confused, I discovered that if I choose "collapsed view", any thread which has new replies in it will show up dark, even if I've already viewed the root post. You may still have to scroll back a page or two, but that beats scrolling back 7 or 8 pages!

Just a hint to the fellow clueless ones.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.
~~~Landrum Bolling

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2007, 2:19pm

Post #2 of 4 (955 views)
Shortcut
another trick [In reply to] Can't Post

is to click on the word (creation) next to 'Age'.

this changes the queue from one ordered by date of creation to one ordered by the date of the last response. That will push that old thread up to the top of the queue.

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 17 2007, 11:48pm

Post #3 of 4 (775 views)
Shortcut
ah HAH!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Magpie! That's a lot simpler.

You know, it occurs to me that for someone who uses this board an awful lot (and posts an awful lot), I really am confused by some of the technicalities.

Luckily, you all bear with me anyway.

Sly

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.
~~~Landrum Bolling

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 18 2007, 2:19am

Post #4 of 4 (895 views)
Shortcut
I didn't figure this one out till recently [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been using that trick for harddrive folders... finding the most recent file of hundreds that I've worked on.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.