Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Watched it with my nephews and niece
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 5:18am

Post #1 of 47 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Watched it with my nephews and niece Can't Post

So I watched The Hobbit with a couple of my nephews and my niece the other day and it was a lot of fun!

They were in awe of Erebor and when Smaug attacked it they got a little mad cause they wouldn't show Smaug,

They loved the unexpected party especially the line about the bathroom they sing the two dwarf songs all the time now that's kinda cool actually cause they'll just stand around the living room singing misty mountains, they try to clean up like the dwarves in the movie but I always have to remind them that it doesn't work like that in our world

my nephews loved the battle of moria that's when Thorin became their favorite person ever cause he was going against a giant orc with nothing but an oak branch, they'll be outside pretending they're dwarves now I even taught them the dwarf battle cry "Baruk-Khazad Khazad ai menu" they want his Oakenshield I wish WETA or someone would make a replica of it

they thought Radagast was odd but cool my nice loved how he cared so much for the hedgehog

they loved the troll scene just absolutely loved it the bit with parasites had them rolling lol and also when the troll thought he sneezed out Bilbo so now everytime they sneeze they'll say "BLIMEY LOOK WHAT'S COME OUT OF ME HOOTER"

they didn't really have much to say about Rivendell though they did understand what the white council was talking about they loved Bombur breaking the table and the moon letters

they loved the stone giants they had no clue what to expect all I said was the scene was "epic" they loved the action sequences inside Goblin Town and like me my nephews made jokes about the Goblin king's chin lol.

My niece has always been scared of Gollum so when the Riddles in the Dark scene came on I let her hold my Sting sword Replica so she wouldn't be scared cause she knew Gollum didn't like that sword and cause Bilbo was holding it too. they picked up on the sutbleties in the riddles scene like Bilbo and Smeagol whispering to each other so Gollum wouldn't hear them. they were unnerved that Gollum looked too real.

they REALLY hate Azog they wanted the eagles to throw him off the cliff at the end

they were fussing at Thorin for yelling at Bilbo after Bilbo risked his life to save him but when Thorin hugged him he thought Thorin was cool again My niece said the last scene with Smaug was Epic lol

sorry the post was so long but I thought I'd share this with you all lol cause I had a lot of fun watching it with them it was nice to see it from a kid's point of view after hearing all the critics and other people who may have been dissipointed with the movie

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:44am

Post #2 of 47 (568 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like they had a lot of fun.

I can't wait to watch it with my daughter when she is a little older.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:48am

Post #3 of 47 (565 views)
Shortcut
SWEET! [In reply to] Can't Post

How old are they?

Interesting to see what various ages and audiences like most.

I've seen both Oz and Croods, and came out of Oz going "?!?!?!?what's it missing???????" Croods had me crying and howling with laughter and catching bits of the 5 and 6 year olds' reactions around me, all wonderful!

The bottom line is a really good story can appeal to all ages, has a huge sense of wonder, and it helps if the director and other crew have ginormous inner twelve year olds. I think Peter Jackson does.

Go outside and play...

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 5:56am

Post #4 of 47 (551 views)
Shortcut
No apology needed BW! Thank you for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's refreshing really, after all the discussions, dissections and hashing out of pros and cons etc. to approach the movie from such an innocent and unbiased point of view, just taking things as they come without preconceptions or expectations. Must have been so much fun watching it with your nephews and niece!

And I wouldn't put it past the Noble Collection to make a replica of the oaken shield one of these days.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 6:01am

Post #5 of 47 (553 views)
Shortcut
They are 12 and 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have quite a few nephews & nieces (4 nephews & 4 nieces) but only 3 of them wanted to watch it with me lol the two nephews are 12 and my niece is 7

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 8:31am

Post #6 of 47 (542 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for sharing that. I just love seeing movies through the eyes of kids. They truly are amazing. I'm glad they liked it and even more importantly that you got to share it with them!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 12:17pm

Post #7 of 47 (451 views)
Shortcut
That must have been so much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to read all their reactions, and to see it through their eyes. I bet that is the type of thing PJ and the film team love to hear, that kids liked it so much too.

I can just picture them saying "Hey, you missed one!" when the eagles didn't pick up Azog as well :-).

Thanks for sharing!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2013, 12:53pm

Post #8 of 47 (454 views)
Shortcut
Kids! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they REALLY hate Azog they wanted the eagles to throw him off the cliff at the end

My younger son (8) had the same reaction. I had to point out that several of the Wargs and Orcs were left on the cliff, the Eagles were more there to save the Company and just took out the Wargs and Orcs that got in their way the most. Wink

My elder son liked Radagast more than apparently your niece and nephews did. They both liked Sebastian also, but the elder really found Radagast's introduction by Gandalf (a very great wizard, in his way) to fit with how he was then depicted.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 1:42pm

Post #9 of 47 (430 views)
Shortcut
yeah, the loved Radagast as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I just didn't want to make the post any longer lol

They liked how strange he was and cause he had animals livng in his clothes: Mice in his robes birds under his hat, I even pointed that out to them that he had bird poop on his face they didn't know what it was at first and they just said "well why woudn't he?"

and when he put the board in front of the door to keep the spiders out one of them said "how's that gonna help?" but they conceded that they would do the same thing too that made me see how childlike and innocent Radagast is compared to Gandalf or Saruman

when Radagast realized about witchcraft and went he went into a trance to heal the hedgehog the noted that we've never seen Gandalf go into a trance like that and realized that there is more to him then just being a strange old hermit

Durin's Folk
The Shire

Mar 30 2013, 1:44pm

Post #10 of 47 (466 views)
Shortcut
My brother is 5 years old [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother is five years old (I'm 23) and the only scene he seems obsessed with is the part where Thorin comes down of the tree in slow motion to fight Azog. Other than that he's to young to understand the plotline and the movie is long so he gets distracted, leaves the room, and comes back when he hears fighting scenes.

Other than that I agree with you I said it before in these forums and I will say it again : We need a Thorin Oakenshield REPLICA. My Orcrist sword is too lonely.

"But a small dark figure that none had observed sprang out of the shadows and gave a hoarse shout: 'Baruk Khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!' An axe swung and swept back. Two Orcs fell headless. The rest fled."

Neimod
The Shire

Mar 30 2013, 2:04pm

Post #11 of 47 (430 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing this! It was awesome to read!

There's a big lesson to be learned here I think. These kids are right -- this is how movies like this should be experienced: with innocence. If we could just let go a bit of our silly, unnecessary "mature" ponderings over every little detail, we'd all have so much more fun.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 2:05pm

Post #12 of 47 (426 views)
Shortcut
I forgot about that [In reply to] Can't Post

they thought it was funny how anti-climactic it was: Thorin & Azog give each other death stares Thorin does this epic walk through then fire runs towards azog then gets taken out by the warg but they geuinely were worried that he was gonna die there

I have a Sting Replica as I said earlier I wanna get Anduril too

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 2:20pm

Post #13 of 47 (402 views)
Shortcut
Aaaawwwwww! I wish my nieces and nephews were that age and nearby for a viewing! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 2:25pm

Post #14 of 47 (396 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you could break the viewing up into segments which fit his current attention span. /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 2:44pm

Post #15 of 47 (399 views)
Shortcut
Anduril [In reply to] Can't Post

I have both the Anduril and Glamdring replica's. Anduril is simply awesome. And it is heavy! We have them side by side mounted on the wall and they look very cool. It's totally worth it IMO.
!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 3:45pm

Post #16 of 47 (397 views)
Shortcut
I for one would [i]not[/i] want to live in such a world. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's a big lesson to be learned here I think. These kids are right -- this is how movies like this should be experienced: with innocence. If we could just let go a bit of our silly, unnecessary "mature" ponderings over every little detail, we'd all have so much more fun.

It would soon become unbearable. Leave the childlike innocence to the children.

And please don't pull a George Lucas and try to claim that AUJ was meant to be solely a children's film all along, because it's not and never was. Sure, there's stuff in it that the kids like, but it's target audience is older teens and adults (it's rated PG-13 for a reason).

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:40pm

Post #17 of 47 (362 views)
Shortcut
More thanks for sharing the tale! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad the kids had fun!
I found that young viewers in all my 16 theater sittings had a very good time, which made me happy as a new generation is seeing the material. And of course what starts as a film may turn later into finding the books.Angelic

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:43pm

Post #18 of 47 (391 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps when you get older [In reply to] Can't Post

you will realize what you have lost.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Mar 30 2013, 4:43pm)

mefansmum
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 5:40pm

Post #19 of 47 (349 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed reading your report [In reply to] Can't Post

since I could not get a word out of my grandson about what he enjoyed and didn't. All I got was that he liked the movie and I could tell from his reactions he did. He laughed and gasped at the appropriate points, even at the huge waterfall they walk past at one stage. I have taken him to a few movies and he just does not want to talk about them afterwards. Even his parents get nothing out of him.

It also confirmed my feeling that the few small things that I found did not suit my movie tastes were perfect for the younger people that would be the bigger audience. and that PJ knew what he was about.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:45pm

Post #20 of 47 (360 views)
Shortcut
We all [In reply to] Can't Post

do.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

cats16
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 6:12pm

Post #21 of 47 (343 views)
Shortcut
This is why I love these films [In reply to] Can't Post

I love hearing about how kids react to them. It's a great reminder for all of us here that PJ is not simply trying to appease every wish and prayer of die hard fans, but he's also really intent on bringing a new generation into the world of Middle Earth, just like he did with many of us here when we were younger for LOTR. They aren't focused on analyzing why Azog is still alive, or what's going on with the Dol Guldur subplot. It's the general tone and spirit of the films that really draws them into loving Tolkien's works.

Many of these kids, I have no doubt, will become Tolkien fanatics as they get older. Maybe they'll even join TORN!

I remember how LOTR affected me when I was younger, and my reactions were very similar. I wanted to learn more about this incredible world and all of the people/creatures in it.

Really, thank you for posting this. You've really got me feeling a little nostalgic, lol. Thinking back to first seeing LOTR, and where it has led me to right now. Wow.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 6:22pm

Post #22 of 47 (357 views)
Shortcut
I'm probably older than you think ha ha. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong, i love kids, and i'm glad they have childlike innocence. But when i'm talking to adults, i want to have adult conversations. I want to laugh and have fun along with being all adult and serious, but i don't want to talk to someone who loves everything they see and accepts everything at face value. I like talking to people who can apply critical thinking and have real, well thought-out and considered opinions and aren't afraid to express them even if they're counter to mine. A world without those things would be a boring place.

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 6:25pm

Post #23 of 47 (338 views)
Shortcut
Letting your niece hold Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

because she was afraid of Gollum. What a wonderful idea! She had the same protection that Bilbo had and could watch the scene without hiding behind a pillow (something I've been known to do). This is much more empowering -- I think I want my own Sting replica!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 6:32pm

Post #24 of 47 (326 views)
Shortcut
That sounds lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't there, but my uncle showed The Hobbit to my beloved cousins, aged seven and twelve. They adored it; the younger is a little boy and he thought the snot sequence with the trolls was just about the funniest thing ever. It's something people forget; The Hobbit was written for children, and even though the film is more adult-orientated, it still has the jokes that sometimes only children can appreciate. I once taught the whole lot of them (I have five younger cousins) to sing "chip the glasses and crack the plates, that's what our Auntie hates!" much to the delight of my Tolkien-loving aunt, and to the horror of their parents.

You make a very good point; It's always a fresh and wonderful perspective to see something from a child's view. A child sees something in a different way, and he really lives in that world; he weeps when a hero dies and celebrates when good conquers above all.

Next step: Getting my oldest younger cousin to watch Fellowship. My Aunt's dog is named Gimli, and my cousin is very curious about the origin of his name. She loves reading, so it shouldn't be a problem to get her to read Tolkien's works. I think 12 is an ideal age to delve into the world of Arda.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 6:37pm

Post #25 of 47 (321 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always worth looking at things from the perspective of a child. That is, a view without pre-conceived expectations and notions. Many great artists have made statements to the effect that understanding the views of children are important in developing great art. Thanks for the report. It was a fun read. Cool

Azog: Defiling since 2790

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.