Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bard The Bowman a street rat.?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 12:46am

Post #1 of 19 (933 views)
Shortcut
Bard The Bowman a street rat.? Can't Post

I saw a scene reminiscient of Aladdin showing Bard running away from gaurds in the sneak peek.Do you think he's just a lowly a peasant and rises to be the rightful heir to the throne.Pretty cliche idea but it may work for on screen.Laugh
When i saw the scene i was waiting for the gaurds to say Stop the STREET RAT!. lol.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Mar 30 2013, 12:52am)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 12:55am

Post #2 of 19 (524 views)
Shortcut
riff raff [In reply to] Can't Post

riff raff....STREET rat! i don't buy that!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 12:56am

Post #3 of 19 (556 views)
Shortcut
I like where his story is going [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of Robin Hood, which I always love to see. If they want to make Bard an actual, fleshed out character, I can see why they'd do things like this to his character. I wish that in the book he was much more expanded on, and maybe if he was the one who found the Company, like the film. Better to get to know him sooner than some nameless elves who take the barrels back to Lake-town.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 1:14am

Post #4 of 19 (503 views)
Shortcut
drunk elves [In reply to] Can't Post

for some reason that scene with the elves and thebarrels always has stuck in my mind, one is drunk if i remember! they cant cut that bit out :(

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 1:54am

Post #5 of 19 (463 views)
Shortcut
Aladdin refrence inbound [In reply to] Can't Post

"He's got a bow!"
"You idiots! WE ALL HAVE BOWS!"

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 2:18am

Post #6 of 19 (474 views)
Shortcut
The elves at Thranduil's hall? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those the elves you're referring to? The servant and guard who tip get drunk and fall asleep definitely should be in the film. I don't know if the elves who find the barrels floating downriver were drunk, though.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2013, 4:54am

Post #7 of 19 (403 views)
Shortcut
drunk elf [In reply to] Can't Post

Ironically, the drunk elf referenced is none other than Tauriel, captain of the guard (although the captain of the guard in the book was nameless and male)

Which makes me a little apprehensive as to how they are going to play that scene out-I find it hard to see them making Tauriel be careless and get drunk like that with what little we have seen of her character in the sneak peek.

For the story's sake (and Bilbo's as the person who is and should be the one to rescue them AGAIN) I really hope they keep it the way it is in the book, but unfortunately I am not entirely certain they will Unsure

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 7:53am

Post #8 of 19 (364 views)
Shortcut
i hope not either!! [In reply to] Can't Post

seems like PJ almost portrays them as vulcans, but they show emotion in the books.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 10:01am

Post #9 of 19 (333 views)
Shortcut
Another thread hijacked. [In reply to] Can't Post

It started about Bard but its been taken over by elves.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 10:52am

Post #10 of 19 (335 views)
Shortcut
I suspect ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard will either try and smuggle the Dwarves into and/or out of Laketown, without the Master knowing.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 11:24am

Post #11 of 19 (321 views)
Shortcut
That's my guess as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Hidden in barrels of fish as seen in the vlogs Smile

(This post was edited by Carne on Mar 30 2013, 11:25am)

nhui06
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 2:27pm

Post #12 of 19 (284 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ made reference to Bard being some sort of Robin Hood character in the preview last week. Perhaps the Master will be portrayed as some incompetent fool who hoards all the riches to himself, and Bard is a leader of some resistance for his people to bring some wealth back. This may explain Bard's position later for reclaiming some of the gold from the Lonely Mountain in the third film (instead of just mere compensation; the audience may feel sorry for Bard and sympathize for his demands).

Which brings up another thought. Seems like we will be spending much time with both the Elves and Laketown in DOS. Where does that leave the Dol Guldur storyarc and the Battle of Smaug? We know that Gandalf will be doing some investigating in this film (going to High Fells, and eventually his visit to Dol Guldur). I do not think there is time for the battle of Dol Guldur here. What may happen is that Gandalf may end up being captured and we end that as the cliffhanger for this story arc. We then focus solely on Bard and Laketown and Smaug for probably the final third of the film, ending with a great battle sequence.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 9:29pm

Post #13 of 19 (213 views)
Shortcut
We Know [In reply to] Can't Post

that Bard is grim. He is told that he is a negative person by others. He is a descendant in direct line of Girion of Dale and is rightful ruler of same. So there is room to flesh him out.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 11:30pm

Post #14 of 19 (198 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately the Master of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

will be played off as some Sheriff of Nottingham type character or something, to justify making Bard a Robin Hood type character. Which I LOATHE the thought of. Tongue ... Bard was one of the guards of Laketown not some Aladdin style vagrant being chased by the guards. Who we don't know "whether we can trust or not", Bard was a good guy from the start and instead of trying to compliment what Tolkien wrote by simply adding to Bard's story Peter Jackson feels the need to change the whole thing unnecessarily... I just find the whole situation a terrible horrible idea.

Personally I like the idea of Bard being dark and foreboding, prophesying doom and bad omens but still knowing he is a good guy, with him being the rightful heir of Dale.... Hey kind of like in the book.Wink

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 9:30pm

Post #15 of 19 (101 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't look like a guard...... [In reply to] Can't Post

in this screencap. But there are guards present
http://static.businessinsider.com/...ac3900000b/image.jpg

In fact he has never been seen in any kind of uniform. Is he always off duty?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 9:46pm

Post #16 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he didn't get the memo [In reply to] Can't Post

that 'casual friday' was discontinued.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 10:34pm

Post #17 of 19 (90 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a typical Robin Hood style character to me [In reply to] Can't Post

such a shame Unsure

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 4:40am

Post #18 of 19 (72 views)
Shortcut
PJ did refer to him as a Robin Hood type [In reply to] Can't Post

And even in the book, he was opposed to the Master's way of handling things. From the scenes shown, it is clear that Laketown is a rather rundown, shabby little town but the Master's home is full of rich wood paneling and a four poster bed and giant oil painting of himself. And yet, the people shown in the crowd scenes appear rather poor while their homes crumble around them.

Bard, being the descendant of Girion of Dale gives him the blood line, but not necessarily the actual title of a leader. But then again, he is a simple member of the guard in the book, so again, not a leader, just a regular working joe in the town. Seems like PJ wants to pit Bard against the Master's rule in a more open way with some 'Robin Hood' type behavior, which is not Tolkien, but may help to flesh out the character, to be sure. As long as they keep him doubtful of the wisdom of the Dwarves quest, so that he stays sharp and on the lookout for the inevitable consequences, I'm fine with the rest of the fleshing out of his character.

And really, who doens't want to see and hear more of the Welshman cast in this? ;-)

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

CaptainFaramir13
The Shire

Apr 8 2013, 1:35pm

Post #19 of 19 (38 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am quite interested to see what they do with Bard, I am glad they are expanding on his character. Having him be somewhat roguish and Robin Hood like is an interesting way of presenting him. It looks like Luke Evans will do a good job in the role, though it seems like it might be a little different from the Bard from the books.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.