Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All problems in AUJ are linked to the 3 movie decision.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 4:23am

Post #1 of 221 (3391 views)
Shortcut
All problems in AUJ are linked to the 3 movie decision. Can't Post

-Pacing
-Azog
-Departures from Tolkien
-Filler material

Oh, why, PJ. Just why. It'd have been so easy to just leave it at two movies. You have plenty of money. Change it back to two. Please. The Hobbit is not meant to be a trilogy. It doesn't work. Change it back to two. Azog should not be so emphasized. It's not right. Don't tarnish you reputation. Change it back to two. Change it back to two. Oh god, please.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:40am

Post #2 of 221 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

it ain't goin' ta happen. Much too late at this point.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 4:45am

Post #3 of 221 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Totally disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

totally.

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 4:49am

Post #4 of 221 (2258 views)
Shortcut
It was much too late [In reply to] Can't Post

To include Azog as a character last-minute in production.
It was much too late to randomly split the films into a trilogy.
It's not to late to set things right. Do a re-cut of the first film, as if it were the first of two--not three. Do whatever it takes to fix this mess. Change it back to two. Oh god, please.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 4:54am

Post #5 of 221 (2231 views)
Shortcut
I just can't tell sometimes, [In reply to] Can't Post

...when people are being serious... or seriously comedic.

oh goddess, please... tell me you're being comedic.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 5:00am

Post #6 of 221 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Oh I believe the post was serious [In reply to] Can't Post

but lacks an understanding of how the reality movie making works.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 5:00am

Post #7 of 221 (2187 views)
Shortcut
I'm not. [In reply to] Can't Post

This three-film decision is hurting the films. Change it back to two. What grace has given me, let it pass on to PJ's decision making.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 5:05am

Post #8 of 221 (2153 views)
Shortcut
pretty sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

that they are in post-production for the last two movies anyhow (at least according to IMDB).

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 7:51am

Post #9 of 221 (2078 views)
Shortcut
Time travel? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the only way, since, y'know, they are already released the first film, which is set up as 1/3 of the story.

Or are you implying they edit the second film to act as a conclusion to the whole thing? In which case you're expecting that somehow loading that film with footage that would've, before the split, been roughly equivalent to 2/3 of the entire story, would somehow be an improvement. From meeting Beorn to BOFA? That's absolutely ridiculous, you'd have one minute for each scene at that rate. That's more stuff crammed into one films than either of the parts would've had before the split.

(This post was edited by pulpfiction16 on Mar 30 2013, 7:52am)

emre43
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 8:53am

Post #10 of 221 (2090 views)
Shortcut
No, I'm happy with three films [In reply to] Can't Post

It allows the Dol Guldur story and what Gandalf is up to when he runs off all the time as well as allowing characters to be fleshed out. Delighted when I heard there would be an extra film.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 10:17am

Post #11 of 221 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I can totally picture PJ assembling the cast & crew. "I have decided that it will now be 3 movies instead of 2. We need to give that filler material some space."

I can totally understand anyone else having a problem with the pacing but suggesting that "filler material" (whatever that means) was added just to "extend the movie" is to me ridiculous.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Mar 30 2013, 10:18am)

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 10:38am

Post #12 of 221 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Obviously the films are not going to be recut [In reply to] Can't Post

by Peter Jackson anyway, though I am sure some fans will have a go. But I tend to agree with the poster. Right up to July, the banner released for Comic-Con showed the first film was going to include Mirkwood and the barrel escape, which is a substantial amount of plot and time which had to be filled with other material, ie the awful Azog plotline, spinning out the looooong and tedious action scenes and the cheesy last scene on the Carrock (which the documentary A Hobbit's Tale showed was the very last thing to be filmed during pick-ups.)

I hope the fact that they have a long time to plan out the next two films without any last minute changes will mean better, more considered editing and pacing.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 10:50am

Post #13 of 221 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Azog was added because they thought it would improve their story. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether it did or not is entirerly debatable and I fully understand that some don't like it (I don't either, to an extent). But the notion that Azog was added just to extend the running time of the movie I find ridiculous.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 10:51am

Post #14 of 221 (2002 views)
Shortcut
I think the problems go further than that .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Final Hobbit film
3 split decision
PJ director
GDT director
"Greenlit" (kind of)
LOTR trilogy
PJ director
LOTR Greenlit
Animated movie
Lots of stuff in between
Tolkien wrote the Hobbit.

Tolkien is the reason AUJ is rubbish.

herzogian
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 11:20am

Post #15 of 221 (1990 views)
Shortcut
CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest problem isn the cgioverloud that you stuffed down your throat. Backgrounds seem fake and plastic. Rivendell is absolutly horrible. And Thorins "death scene" is no good either. Certainly if you compare it to Boromirs in FOTR. I dont like to say this but PJ has let "us" down. Also purely on a cinematic level. FOTR was realy good. It was more then your brainless actionmovie. AUJ isnt. The only thing that saves it are the endscene, smeagol and the party. Otherwise its on the same level of Jack the giantslayer or Narnia. Pitty.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 11:40am

Post #16 of 221 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Hard to tell who is being serious in here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you?

I know DanielLB isn't...

But if you are, they won't. The Hobbit is three films. Now and forever. And so far as I can see, since there is still interesting material missing (Gandalf meeting young Bilbo, for instance), and I can't see any way on earth they could have fitted everything up to the barrel escape into one film (Azog doesn't take that much screen time), I'm more than happy that they made three films.

I can't any problems in AUJ, I like it.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 12:21pm

Post #17 of 221 (1941 views)
Shortcut
I'm delighted that it is going to be three films [In reply to] Can't Post

The more time I can spend in Middle-Earth, the better, and so far I love what I'm seeing. Can't wait for the next film.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 12:25pm

Post #18 of 221 (1961 views)
Shortcut
It was to allow more to be included [In reply to] Can't Post

than could have been included in any typical 2 or 3 hour movie, whether one or two.

What some people call 'tedious' I call leisurely and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. e.g., the good morning scene, the time they spend in Bag End, it adds to the story and that would have all been cut down or rushed if they didn't have enough time. I believe there are going to be more scenes like that in the next two and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm really glad they made it into 3 movies.

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 1:01pm

Post #19 of 221 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Why would those be cut? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an interesting exercise to consider what was not in the original film that is there now.

I very much doubt if good morning and the Bag End scenes are among them.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 1:06pm

Post #20 of 221 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...I think Bag End wasn't affected at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

We do know for one thing, from the Best Buy "A Hobbit's Tale" video, that the Azanulbizar flashback was originally only a brief vignette seen in the Prologue. So Balin's storytelling around the campfire was added in, as is all the subsequent Azog storyline and Radagast's warg chase.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 1:17pm

Post #21 of 221 (1959 views)
Shortcut
If you're serious... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then I'm sorry to say this sounds like when my kids were 4 and they thought that stomping their foot and demanding something would 'make it so'.

Does this tactic work for you in real life? It might when mom or dad can supply the chocolate easter bunny one is demanding but I can assure you it doesn't work much outside of those small family units and there are some things that - even if the world loved you to death and wanted to totally spoil and coddle you - would not happen by virtue of demanding it.

But if stomping your foot and demanding things (in public) make you happy then it doesn't violate the TOS and you get to do it. So, thanks for sharing it with us. I guess.

I guess I've just been thinking, lately, that about 60% of the internet just sounds really crazy to me. Not just that I don't agree with someone but that I can't even believe they believe what they're saying (or demanding, in your case).

I thought maybe there was this massive social experiment with 'let's all act crazy for spring break week' thing going on. Or maybe this was a new style of humor or just behavior - ala Harlem Shake - that was taking place.

Or, if this is one of those 'let's poke the wife until she yells stop at me'... then, stop.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

MysterClark
The Shire

Mar 30 2013, 1:25pm

Post #22 of 221 (1927 views)
Shortcut
I Just Think It's Kind of Silly... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they didn't name this movie "The Hobbit" then no one would have a problem. They should have just named it "Stuff That Happened Before The Lord of the Rings"

I'm happy with the way things are. Honestly, if they decided to make three more movies after this, I'd probably have to go see those as well!

And seriously, guy? You start off sounding so excited about the next movie that you steal my contest winnings from me to see that sneak peek, and now you're acting like the entire trilogy is complete rubbish? Yes, go back in time... Maybe Peter Jackson will listen to a complete stranger and make the movies exactly like you wanted them made. Maybe he'd even step down and let you direct the movies!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 2:04pm

Post #23 of 221 (1893 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

its a great pity.

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 2:05pm

Post #24 of 221 (1929 views)
Shortcut
Oh for goodness sake! That is an exceptionally unbelievable request. [In reply to] Can't Post

The decision is made. There will be no changing it back to two films.

And I'm really quite shocked at the statement that it's not meant to be a trilogy. You know this how? By what authority? The hobbit is meant to be whatever those who own the rights say it shall be.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 2:06pm

Post #25 of 221 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Yep. The more, the better! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.