Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
am i the only one who loved the stone giants?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 3:55am

Post #1 of 69 (857 views)
Shortcut
am i the only one who loved the stone giants? Can't Post

every time the stone giants are mentioned in a comment i see, it's in a negative assessment.

i am polar from this experience -- i thought the stone giants were awe-some. inspiring awe. wonder. fear. mountains come to life.

they were +especially+ impressive on the (equally) giant imax screen, and hfr.

i'm not trying to convert anyone. just expressing my surprise at the dichotomy.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 3:56am

Post #2 of 69 (487 views)
Shortcut
Love!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved them!!! I thought that scene and the giants were BA!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 3:58am

Post #3 of 69 (465 views)
Shortcut
so glad to have discovered you! [In reply to] Can't Post

now we can start a club. some sort of middle-earth geology club.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Eruwestial37
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 4:06am

Post #4 of 69 (463 views)
Shortcut
I loved them too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everytime I consider putting the Blu Ray on, they are one of the scenes that I look forward to. I remember reading the book and thinking how amazing they would look. PJ and Co certainly did them justice!
Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that I LOVE thunderstorms. Kinda glad Stone Giants aren't real, though. Hailstones are bad enough!Shocked

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 4:12am

Post #5 of 69 (433 views)
Shortcut
eru! [In reply to] Can't Post

eruwestial!! join our middle earth geology club!!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Eruwestial37
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 4:16am

Post #6 of 69 (464 views)
Shortcut
Is that geology or meteorology? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like they're a bit of both.
Thanks, I accept your invitation. Sounds like a fun club.

I got to see them first in 3D on a 30 ft high Ultra Screen. Wow. Sure hope TH returns to the theaters before DoS comes out.

I just had a thought. It's a shame the Fellowship never got to see them. Legolas just might understand Gimli's nervousness around Treebeard if he'd 'met' a Stone Giant! They're the Dwarven version of Ents, but with more attitude!

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 4:19am

Post #7 of 69 (407 views)
Shortcut
haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They're the Dwarven version of Ents, but with more attitude!

That's exactly how I saw them! The Hobbit's version of ents.

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 4:22am

Post #8 of 69 (436 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I adored the Stone Giants. I thought they were amazing. It's one of my favorite scenes in the movie, they were just like these elementals without the slightest bit of interest of the living beings on them..

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 4:25am

Post #9 of 69 (434 views)
Shortcut
(passes marillaraina her middle earth geology club id card) [In reply to] Can't Post

+great+ description.

also, to add, really hoping to see the hobbit on the big screen again in december, so i can see the stone giants on the huge screen again.

i also love how bofur cries out in wonder, "bless me! the legends are true!" not just for the amazement he expresses, but the fact that there are mysteries in middle earth not just for readers, but for its inhabitants.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 30 2013, 4:27am

Post #10 of 69 (429 views)
Shortcut
Loved them! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to both the scene and the music! I think the faint suggestion of facial features is wonderful, and yet they completely match the mountain rock. And I love their elemental nature -- indifferent to those tiny life forms caught up in their thunder battle.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 4:29am

Post #11 of 69 (509 views)
Shortcut
here you go [In reply to] Can't Post

here you go.... you can keep your middle earth geology membership card safe in your glory box.

yes, i can hear the music (and the elemental roaring) in my head as i type.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 4:34am

Post #12 of 69 (384 views)
Shortcut
the music [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in love with the music Heart I finally went out today and bought the special edition soundtrack. Now, I wish that the 'remixed' song they played during Thorin's attack on Azog was in it, as well as the eagle flight one (this one is short but so beautiful!)

Also, I emailed Howard Shore's manager yesterday, asking if he will be touring with his orchestra ever again and/or if there will be more Live To Projection shows. I probably won't get a response because I did this a couple years ago and didn't hear back.

Off topic, but...yeah :)

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 4:46am

Post #13 of 69 (397 views)
Shortcut
a bit over indulgent [In reply to] Can't Post

but very entertaining and powerful.
and an opportunity for EPIC music

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 4:48am

Post #14 of 69 (369 views)
Shortcut
I'll join your fan club - I loved them too [In reply to] Can't Post

When do I get my 'Team Stone Giant' t-shirt? Cool

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 4:50am

Post #15 of 69 (393 views)
Shortcut
I liked them..... [In reply to] Can't Post

they were interesting. It's funny how the two things that most of us don't particularly care for, Azog and the Stone Giants the kids absolutely love them. You can tell that Peter and co. were definitely trying to target the youth of today as opposed to us Tolkien die-hards like us that he had at hello...Sly

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 5:04am

Post #16 of 69 (360 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy them a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

Always found when reading he book I wanted to know more about them.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:47am

Post #17 of 69 (379 views)
Shortcut
No you are not the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

lot's of people enjoyed the stone giants and the whole movie as well.

This message board happens to be a more vocal potion of a much wider fan-base.

I know plenty of people that loved it.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Bellerock
Rivendell

Mar 30 2013, 5:53am

Post #18 of 69 (368 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was totally awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was amazing to see part of the mountains come to life. And what made it really cool was that the dwarves were awed too. This was not an ordinary experience, even in Middle-Earth. It makes me wonder what other amazing things might be tucked away in the unexplored corners of that world.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 5:55am

Post #19 of 69 (342 views)
Shortcut
I quite liked them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a nice copy of the Hobbit illustrated by Michael Hague. Not bad, but the stone giants look like sort of beasty gianty things, with tails.

I really like WETA's idea of making them entish, parts of the mountain itself come to life.

I remember reading somewhere in Tolkien's bio or letters or something that he'd hiked in the mountains (the Alps???) in Europe. If he hadn't experienced landslides first hand, he certainly knew of the danger. I always felt the stone giants were a sort of mythic representation of that idea; of the danger of the mountain "coming to life" and trying to throw you off, for real.

The movie imagery was just terrific. It also gave us another natural obstacle (not a villain), and one the Company is utterly powerless to do anything about (there's a deep truth in that). The forces of Nature are so much a part of these stories... they aren't just about villains vs heroes, but about the Hero Journey across a wide wild world with all its inherent obstacles and dangers.

Go outside and play...

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 6:52am

Post #20 of 69 (329 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed it too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the film overall to let unlikely scenes like that bug me. It's a fantasy film. Crazy stuff happens XD I loved it.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 7 2013, 4:07am)

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 7:05am

Post #21 of 69 (324 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was amazing to see part of the mountains come to life. And what made it really cool was that the dwarves were awed too. This was not an ordinary experience, even in Middle-Earth. It makes me wonder what other amazing things might be tucked away in the unexplored corners of that world.

I thought that was great too. You might expect it from Bofur but even Balin sounded amazed.

And that fits in with the idea of the Hobbits version of Ents too. Very few living beings in LOTR had ever seen Ents or knew they really existed. They were just legends to most if they knew of them at all. This is the same sort of thing. And it's kind of fitting that for a story featuring dwarves, they'd be made of stone, just as dwarves themselves were supposedly created.

Oh and I finally got a avatar!

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Mar 30 2013, 7:08am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 30 2013, 7:13am

Post #22 of 69 (357 views)
Shortcut
One of the few? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not my favorite scene, for sure. Sfx orgy to no purpose plot-wise.

emre43
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 8:51am

Post #23 of 69 (330 views)
Shortcut
What!?!?!?!!?!?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kinda glad Stone Giants aren't real, though.

Shocked

Niniel75

Mar 30 2013, 10:39am

Post #24 of 69 (305 views)
Shortcut
It's a spectacular scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was the only one who loved it. Heart I was sure that it shall be insisted upon in the movie unlike the book where is briefly mentioned.
And I think that the giant sequence looks awesome on screen, gigantic or on the one at home.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 30 2013, 10:49am

Post #25 of 69 (291 views)
Shortcut
In was stoked they were included [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of those small details I automatically thought PJ and co wouldn't include. It might be a bit over-the-top, but I loved it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.