Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silmarillion Scavenger Hunt #2

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 29 2013, 10:28pm

Post #1 of 9 (240 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion Scavenger Hunt #2 Can't Post

Find:
1. A city built on fish.
2. A name like an Indian river.
3. Two of these led to three of these.
4. She later became known for her protective lingerie.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 29 2013, 11:05pm

Post #2 of 9 (123 views)
Shortcut
Tricky, tricky, CG... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hope I am not way off base ..... ! Find:
1. A city built on fish. Tirion (on Tuna)
2. A name like an Indian river. Sirion (Great River?)
3. Two of these led to three of these. Two Trees leading to Three Silmarils (Or Two divisions of Elves leading to Three Kindreds?)
4. She later became known for her protective lingerie. Melian (and her Girdle. Unless you mean Madonna. I hope not Wink)

Thanks CG!!!!!!!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 29 2013, 11:12pm

Post #3 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
An attempt..... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Tirion on Tuna
2) Indis
3) Not sure but probably should be obvious. Something to do with the Silmarils?
4) Melian's girdle of protection

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 5:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (106 views)
Shortcut
No Idea on #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A city built on fish. Tirion
2. A name like an Indian river. Not a clue
3. Two of these led to three of these. 2 wives of Finwe led to 3 sons of Finwe
4. She later became known for her protective lingerie. Melian

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when FŽanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 6:53pm

Post #5 of 9 (79 views)
Shortcut
maciliel-answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Find:
1. A city built on fish.
tirion on tuna

2. A name like an Indian river.
indis / indus OR gamgee / ganges

3. Two of these led to three of these.
trees ... silmarils

4. She later became known for her protective lingerie.
melian

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2013, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 9 (64 views)
Shortcut
Ok, I think I messed up question 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha! For some reason was fixated on the name as a 'river's name".

I'm guessing Indis is right? Blush

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 12:54pm

Post #7 of 9 (52 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all for participating. There were some answers I didn't expect that are still correct.

1. A city built on fish. >> Everyone got this one
2. A name like an Indian river. >> Indis. But Gamgee for River Ganges was a great guess.
3. Two of these led to three of these. >> I was thinking of 2 Trees leading to 3 Silmarils, but I like the other options that fit too

4. She later became known for her protective lingerie. >> I was thinking of Madonna all along. Who's this Melian person people keep bringing up?

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 5:23pm

Post #8 of 9 (29 views)
Shortcut
I knew it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

4. She later became known for her protective lingerie. >> I was thinking of Madonna all along. Who's this Melian person people keep bringing up?

Smile
Thanks CG for the fun!

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 9 2013, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 9 (38 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

These scavenger hunts are quite fun. With regards to the Indian river, my Midwestern US background got the best of me, as I was thinking of Indian to mean Native American. Whoops!

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when FŽanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.