Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who do you think is the better actor in the movie.Out of these two
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Who do you think is the better actor in the movie.Out of these two
Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn)
Richard Armitage(Thorin)
View Results (73 votes)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 5:32am

Post #1 of 32 (717 views)
Shortcut
Who do you think is the better actor in the movie.Out of these two Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 6:41am

Post #2 of 32 (485 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen enough to vote. [In reply to] Can't Post

Armitage glowers nicely, but there's a long way to go yet. We had 3 films with many changes of circumstance in which to observe Viggo.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 12:06pm

Post #3 of 32 (479 views)
Shortcut
I voted Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

simply because Aragorn is too different in the film for my tastes, though Mortensen did a brilliant job. But I have long been a fan of Armitage's performance in the BBC Robin Hood series, and therefore was excited about his involvement, whilst I hadn't heard of Mortensen before I saw LotR. Armitage portrays Thorin's haughtiness very well even though the character has been softened at the edges. I'm already dreading his death scene.Frown

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 4:27pm

Post #4 of 32 (422 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

as a fan of Viggo's since 1995; I liked him as Aragorn, but prefer him in other roles.

I guess it really comes down to character preference, Thorin is my favorite and I really enjoy the changes the cinematic version has. I can already see a lot of interesting character bits for Thorin in AUJ and loved what Richard brought to the table.

(This post was edited by ByThorinsBeard on Mar 23 2013, 4:30pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 32 (424 views)
Shortcut
I am amazed Viggo is doing so well! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 32 (416 views)
Shortcut
Do you not like Viggo? // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 32 (423 views)
Shortcut
No i did [In reply to] Can't Post

But Thorin has many fans currently who i thought would vote - though maybe these fans of Thorin were once just as smitten with Viggo and so are torn? Who knows, lol.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 32 (416 views)
Shortcut
Acting [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't even thinking about looks lol. Now I know what you mean. I just think that Viggo did an amazing job as Aragorn. I forgot about all the ravenous female fans who judge on more than just acting chops.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2013, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 32 (386 views)
Shortcut
That's my problem too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big Aragorn fan (both books and movies) and I never was a Thorin fan from the book. I really enjoyed RA's performance in AUJ but I want to see the complete character arc before I start saying one is better than the other.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 10:34pm

Post #10 of 32 (401 views)
Shortcut
**** (fake) glowering look**** [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But Thorin has many fans currently who i thought would vote - though maybe these fans of Thorin were once just as smitten with Viggo and so are torn? Who knows, lol.

Speaker for many of us - do remember guys that we ARE Tolkien fans first, and wouldn't be smitten with either of them if they didn't do the roles justice...!

With that in mind, I don't know if I can say yet. We still have so much challenging material to see from RA to see in the next two films and in EE work.

In any case I think they were both flawlessly cast.

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 11:08pm

Post #11 of 32 (377 views)
Shortcut
Lowers eyes, lol - I was talking about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...How smitten fans are with Thorin/RA (and were with Aragorn/VM) for doing the role justice Tongue

You just took it to mean something else, lol.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 11:17pm

Post #12 of 32 (413 views)
Shortcut
Heehee! Just rattling your cage.....! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, when one sees 'smitten' in proximity to Viggo or RA........

So far I think role wise they are neck-and-neck; with the coda that Viggo went into the trilogy with a beloved text character, and RA is starting off with one that inaccessible at best, rather disliked at worst (and I think by a good proportion).

(And I didn't even notice the word "torn" in your other post - irony? That's very good!) Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 12:38am

Post #13 of 32 (365 views)
Shortcut
Almost too close to call... [In reply to] Can't Post

Truthfully, I have to see Armitage in DoS and TaBA before I feel I can truly judge his over-all performance.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 1:46am

Post #14 of 32 (355 views)
Shortcut
i think this poll is fun [In reply to] Can't Post

and i'm loving the discussion and looking at the results.

but, honestly, they are two great sets of performances.

i can't justify (for myself) picking one over the other, for these particular two.

cheers --

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 2:30am

Post #15 of 32 (355 views)
Shortcut
*Imitating Brethil's fake glower* I never mistake... [In reply to] Can't Post

good looks for good acting, thank you very much! Wink There are plenty of handsome fellows whom I can't stand to watch in movies.Tongue

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 2:39am

Post #16 of 32 (354 views)
Shortcut
RA is surprisingly good, but Viggo was brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo has such range; just watch the last 30 minutes of FOTR for proof. Absolutely amazing performance.

As for RA, I say surprisingly good because I had only seen him in The Vicar of Dibley as the vicar's love interest. I loved him in that because he gave the vicar her happy ending, but I didn't think his performance was that strong. Granted, V of D is a comedy, and not all actors -even great ones- can pull off comedy. But I must say, as Thorin, he was quite good.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 2:42am

Post #17 of 32 (360 views)
Shortcut
***giggling!*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Virtual High Five Zarabia! Angelic

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 3:29am

Post #18 of 32 (354 views)
Shortcut
I think Viggo is leading... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so far, mainly because we have (as someone mentioned) seen him in a whole trilogy. We have not seen all that Richard Armitage is capable of, yet. At least, those of us on this side of the Pond who have not had the honor of seeing him in anything but 1/3rd of the Hobbit.

My favorite character (bookverse, 1978) was Legolas, always Legolas (for his nature spirit/magical child qualities)...not until the films did I appreciate Aragorn, and that was largely due to the amazing (and sexy) Viggo... who also proved to be an excellent horseman, and dog lover (I read a random article in a dog mag, in my vet's office, which turned out to be by Viggo).

So far, Richard seems to be a class act, capable, and drop dead gorgeous beyond female belief. (I vote for him for Beleg Cuthalion when someone decides to do Children of Hurin... Wink He has been handed a uniquely difficult role: to reach past the fairly superficial chracter of the book and Find Something Deeper... and do it from within layers of latex, hair and costuming.

You gotta like a guy who read the Hobbit as a kid... and has already been in a stage production of it (in grade school, I think it was...).

And OMG those eyes... o__O

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 3:33am

Post #19 of 32 (366 views)
Shortcut
It might be too [In reply to] Can't Post

that Hobbit movie fans don't get around to the other boards very often. Personally I think Viggo should win... RA is good, even has a little charisma going for him. But really (for me) it's no contest.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 12:59pm

Post #20 of 32 (352 views)
Shortcut
If it would have been Sean Bean vs Armitage, I would have picked Bean [In reply to] Can't Post

However, with Viggo instead, I'm going for Armitage. Nothing wrong with Viggo, but Sean Bean was just miles ahead of him.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 4:06pm

Post #21 of 32 (362 views)
Shortcut
I refuse to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

wish you'd given us that option. I'd bet most people would have taken it.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 4:16am

Post #22 of 32 (300 views)
Shortcut
*Returns virtual high five* :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 28 2013, 5:19am

Post #23 of 32 (306 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you Annael :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tigero
Rivendell

Mar 28 2013, 5:46pm

Post #24 of 32 (269 views)
Shortcut
Viggo for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

His personality pours out of the character, it is beautiful. Richard isn't as natural, well he doesn't have too natural character either... Maybe we will see more of his performance in the future.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 29 2013, 12:56am

Post #25 of 32 (236 views)
Shortcut
Can't decide yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to see more of Richard's Thorin before I could decide, but it will likely be a tie :) Also, am I the only one who gets frustrated when people say Thorin is a ripoff of Aragorn? A friend of mine, who loves LOTR, thinks this, and I wanted to scream. Haha, if anything wouldn't Aragorn be a "rip off" of Thorin since that's who we are introduced to first? Either way, I think they have similarities but are NOT the same.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.