Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug's voice
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lammen Gorthaur
The Shire

Mar 26 2013, 6:11pm

Post #1 of 32 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's voice Can't Post

I just saw the trailer for Star Trek into Darkness. It starts with Benedict Cumberbatch speaking menacingly. Any ideas whether or not he will be using that same manner of speaking for Smaug (or Sauron)?

(This post was edited by Lammen Gorthaur on Mar 26 2013, 6:12pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 6:32pm

Post #2 of 32 (599 views)
Shortcut
We don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

And we probably aren't going to hear it until opening day/evening. I can't wait. I'm sure he's going to be great and since he's dreamed of doing Smaug since he was a boy, this is just awesome.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 26 2013, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 32 (626 views)
Shortcut
Altered voice [In reply to] Can't Post

His voice will most likely get altered/modified to sound less humanlike, similar to how they modified John Rhys' voice for Treebeard

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 7:14pm

Post #4 of 32 (580 views)
Shortcut
That is matter of debate [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is supposed to be silvertongued, so his voice could just be very melodious and deep, and that's something Benedict Cumberbatch can absolutely do by himself (think of how Armitage modified his voice for Thorin, and he's not as much of a natural as Cumberbatch)
How they will handle Smaug's voice is really unknown for now

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 32 (560 views)
Shortcut
His voice will most likely be altered [In reply to] Can't Post

With a dragon, it has to be a deep voice. Sure, Smaug is a tricky one, but such a gigantic beast needs to have an intimidating voice, and Benedict's normal voice wouldn't really suit Smaug and make him seem threatening enough. It needs to be more booming and deeper. They did it with John Rhys Davies as Treebeard, so most likely with Ben as Smaug.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 7:58pm

Post #6 of 32 (575 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe his voice won't be altered [In reply to] Can't Post

and just enhanced

Check this clip, from his take on the Angel Islington in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere aired just last week

http://cumberbuddy.tumblr.com/...that-benedict-had-no
http://londonphile.tumblr.com/...angel-islington-clip

First one is a compilation, second one from the last episode

And #Neverwhere There was NO treatment on any of the voices in tonight's episode(last). Benedict was Islington using radio acting skills. Masterclass. https://twitter.com/...s/315177646650691584

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 8:17pm

Post #7 of 32 (516 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

The enhanced Thorin's I'm sure for the movie when he says "So..this is The Hobbit". The sound guys can alter the pitch and depth of the voice. I don't think they'll do much else. I would be surprised if they did.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 8:35pm

Post #8 of 32 (533 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch is an amazing radio actor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just listening to him do a role like Martin, and then listening to him doing a role like Islington, you can see his incredible range. I can't wait to hear his Smaug, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded like nothing we've ever heard before (in a good way).

Might mention that those clips are spoilery for those who might want to listen to it, though :)

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 9:43pm

Post #9 of 32 (460 views)
Shortcut
The confrontation Smaug/Bilbo will be [In reply to] Can't Post

absolutely memorable ! Everything points in that direction, the actors, the time they spent on Smaug's design, what Jackson said in the sneak peek and the quality of riddles in the dark wich was the same kind of scene

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 11:49pm

Post #10 of 32 (383 views)
Shortcut
Even if... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Jackson fails with everything else, I know he pays much attention to key moments. Though Gandalf/Bilbo first dialogue wasn't 100% impressive for me, a key moment such as meeting with Gollum couldn't be any more better. I hope, I really hope, meetting with Smaug will become one of the best cinematic climaxes ever.

(This post was edited by Lost Hobbit on Mar 26 2013, 11:49pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 26 2013, 11:57pm

Post #11 of 32 (365 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a sinister kind of hissing voice could work for Smaug (he is a type of reptile, after all). I don't hear his voice as booming or deep. A low voice can sound much more intimidating and creepy than a deep and booming one. It's something Benedict Cumberbatch could do really well, I think.

In Reply To
With a dragon, it has to be a deep voice. Sure, Smaug is a tricky one, but such a gigantic beast needs to have an intimidating voice, and Benedict's normal voice wouldn't really suit Smaug and make him seem threatening enough. It needs to be more booming and deeper. They did it with John Rhys Davies as Treebeard, so most likely with Ben as Smaug.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 26 2013, 11:58pm)

Grant
The Shire

Mar 27 2013, 12:23am

Post #12 of 32 (344 views)
Shortcut
I think it won't be altered too much [In reply to] Can't Post

He has a distinctive voice and they casted him for a reason. So it will probably be similar to usual voice.

What I want to hear is his Necromancer voice.

Briar
The Shire

Mar 27 2013, 12:31am

Post #13 of 32 (345 views)
Shortcut
Benedic is amazing! Thanks for the clips! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 12:46am

Post #14 of 32 (352 views)
Shortcut
These clips demonstrate how he will be the PERFECT Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be happy if he used that exact voice for Smaug. Though maybe he won't, through not wanting to repeat himself. His performance as the dragon is, let's face it, what we're all waiting to see, above all else!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 27 2013, 1:01am

Post #15 of 32 (336 views)
Shortcut
Out of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

When does Star Trek into Darkness come out? And where can I see the trailer? I so want to hear Benedict's menacing voice, and I do not mean that in a "turned on" way, I'm a sucker for menacing voices of villains. (I too wonder if that's how Smaug will sound) I also have a thing for really good laughs. As proof, if you listen to the end of Klaus Nomi's cover of "The Twist", he laughs a creepy laugh at the end and it just gives me chills!

http://grooveshark.com/...Klaus+Nomi+The+Twist

I also love Billy Blizzard's laugh in Rupert. Sorry for going off topic, I just had to ask that question.

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 27 2013, 1:03am

Post #16 of 32 (332 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was incredibly creepy!! Shocked

Can't wait to see him as Smaug!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 27 2013, 1:19am

Post #17 of 32 (319 views)
Shortcut
I actually think a deep, melliflous voice, not entirely unlike Saruman's, [In reply to] Can't Post

but with more rumble and less distance, would befit the great Dragon with his Dragon spell. Recall, for all the dread of the majesty, the voice still has majesty. It makes Bilbo want to reveal himself and all he knows as to a just king or a trustworthy acquaintance as much as it makes him want to shiver and hide in a deep crevice of the mountain.

In Reply To
I think a sinister kind of hissing voice could work for Smaug (he is a type of reptile, after all). I don't hear his voice as booming or deep. A low voice can sound much more intimidating and creepy than a deep and booming one. It's something Benedict Cumberbatch could do really well, I think.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2013, 1:29am

Post #18 of 32 (315 views)
Shortcut
Here is a trailer link Ziggy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/Eo4cmfxc-1c

It has some very nice lines by BC in it. Opens May 19th I believe here in the US (or 16th, forget which).

All along I have loved seeing the Into Darkness trailers just to hear our Smaug!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 2:04am

Post #19 of 32 (297 views)
Shortcut
There will probably be at least an echo added. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's in that big empty room in Erebor, and lots of hard surfaces for it to bounce off of. Plus, it has to be loud enough to be heard over the constant jingling of gold...

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 4:39am

Post #20 of 32 (308 views)
Shortcut
As much as I loved him as Islington... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this remains my favorite clip ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4SJWONipuE

Not as menacing, of course ;)

(This post was edited by bborchar on Mar 27 2013, 4:39am)

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 27 2013, 5:30am

Post #21 of 32 (278 views)
Shortcut
I think BC is one of the best voice actors around [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I think he's one of the best actors around, period. And I'm sure that's one of the main reasons PJ cast him. He can do incredible things with his voice (not to mention the best imitation of Alan Rickman I've ever heard) and I am completely confident he will ROCK as Smaug!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 27 2013, 6:37am

Post #22 of 32 (263 views)
Shortcut
It definitely needs to be altered [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing worse than a CGI creature/animal (that isn't even humanoid and therefore doesn't have human vocal chords) and sounds just like a human ...

stoutfiles
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 2:14pm

Post #23 of 32 (217 views)
Shortcut
They changed the voice actor for Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of this "Gilbert Gottfried", but I hope he does Smaug justice.

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 2:19pm

Post #24 of 32 (208 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure ? Where did you hear that ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure it's not an old rumor lingering on an unupdated site ?

(This post was edited by Ffnir on Mar 27 2013, 2:19pm)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2013, 2:51pm

Post #25 of 32 (212 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a joke. Smile Gilbert Gottfried is known for his annoying voice.

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.