Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
so stoked for DOS!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 2:59pm

Views: 962
Shortcut
so stoked for DOS! Can't Post

i thoroughly enjoyed the preview, i am surprised people were expecting a full-on trailer, it was never advertised as such.

no, the majority of the 55 minutes spent watching Peter and Jed talk wasn't exactly riveting, but it was charming enough with quite a bit of wit and warmth to the proceedings, very smoothly pulled off considering it was a live event, and the interspersing of DOS nuggets throughout was just enough to keep my attention and feel like i was being rewarded for sitting through the whole thing.

i've already seen a lot of judgments on here about stuff that wasn't presented anywhere close to finished form. Tauriel's line, for instance. we're seeing it without music, without the final edit, with green screen in the back, without the context of the scene, we don't even know for sure we're seeing the take they are going to end up using! or if it will even end up in the theatrical cut, for that matter. i don't think the line in and of itself is that bad, there are numerous lines in LotR that would come off much cheesier than that if not for the way the finished presentation delivers them. this is part of the art of filmmaking, maximizing the impact of raw footage through all the little details that go into the finished product.

so, that said, i think the only thing we can come close to trying to judge is the High Fells scene, and even that will likely end up slightly different when the film actually comes out. but i was loving it. i still think there's a good chance that this might be part of the prologue to DOS and that will explain how it fits structurally, or it could be a flashback. these are common cinematic tools and i applaud PJ for embracing non-linear filmmaking as a way of strategically placing scenes within the greater framework. if it is meant to occur real-time, well, either ME geography changed or the film will have some 'splainin to do, but ultimately i am just glad this scene is gonna be in the theatrical cut, i was mesmerized by the shots we saw from it in the trailers and i'm not a huge EE person.

Radagast's appearance in the scene is a little weird and perhaps jarring, but ultimately i think PJ finds a way to turn the character's eccentricity into something that underlines the atmosphere he is going for. Radagast has clearly been portrayed as quite a "sensitive" character to his surroundings and environment--much moreso than he is to people--and here he is so fazed in the presence of such an evil place, it's like his brain can't even properly function. i also loved Gandalf's reaction of "Oh, you" and McKellen's performance is great besides, grim to the point of distraction, like he's seeing the Nine before his very eyes as he looks at their former resting place. as i felt with much of AUJ, the cinematography, editing, design, and FX work (which probably isn't even 100% done) is all masterful, artful stuff.

some of the more finished bits of the final teaser montage were also fantastic, i loved, loved, LOVED the Mirkwood and Woodland Elf Realm designs, Bard looks like a both fun and mysterious character, Stephen Fry is gonna kill it as the Master, the political intrigue of Laketown sounds like it will be thoroughly delved into (which will help give another layer of depth and "real-life" resonance to these movies), the tone and even just general aesthetic of the film seems like it will be a good bit darker than AUJ (if The Hobbit has the LotR trilogy color-theming then i'd say AUJ had a brazen dawny/dusky hue whereas DOS looks to be a dark grey), i think they showed production shots of Gandalf's encounter with Thrain (which really makes me wonder)...and the bit where they "reveal" Smaug's full design gave me a good chuckle.

i know some who were disappointed by AUJ will find no shortage of things to dislike here, but to those of us excited for the rest of the journey ahead, it looks like some of the question marks we had about how this filmic venture is going to progress in terms of tone and content have been given hints of answers that pique my appetite all the more for the next film. bring it on!

Subject User Time
so stoked for DOS! unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Mar 26 2013, 2:59pm
    Agreed!// Owain Send a private message to Owain Mar 26 2013, 3:14pm
    While i was disappointed in certain aspects of AUJ, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 26 2013, 3:57pm
    i hate to burst your bubble MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Mar 26 2013, 4:20pm
        Wrong thread? ;-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 26 2013, 4:29pm
    Gandalf has Glamdring, so no flashback. (NT) xxxyyy Send a private message to xxxyyy Mar 26 2013, 4:44pm
        It would be a flashback posterior of his finding of glamdring Ffnir Send a private message to Ffnir Mar 26 2013, 6:44pm
            Chronologically possible? Not sure at all. xxxyyy Send a private message to xxxyyy Mar 27 2013, 12:20am
        what about Thrain??? MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Mar 27 2013, 4:38am
    I'm with you Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 26 2013, 6:36pm
        Same as you Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Mar 26 2013, 11:43pm
    The preview... tarasaurus Send a private message to tarasaurus Mar 28 2013, 1:20am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.