The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
UltraViolet - How's the quality?

tripecac
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 9:57pm

Post #1 of 10 (1056 views)
Shortcut
UltraViolet - How's the quality? Can't Post

Some of the movies I've purchased recently come with either UltraViolet or other digital copy options. I always ignore those options since it's easier and faster to simply copy the blu-rays to the PC directly (and saves bandwidth, which is costly here in NZ).

Nevertheless, I am curious about The Hobbit's UltraViolet copy. I have several questions:

1) Can you download different resolutions?
2) What is the max resolution you can download?
3) How does the max resolution compare to the actual blu-ray?
4) Can you download a 3D version? (I bought the 3D package)
5) Does the digital copy include subtitles?
6) Is there DRM?
7) Are there any advantages to using the Hobbit's UltraViolet instead of making our own copy from the blu-ray? (e.g., better compression?)

Thanks!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 10:00pm

Post #2 of 10 (620 views)
Shortcut
bad [In reply to] Can't Post

i ogt an ultraviolet once with my snow white bluray, the quality was absolutely terrible!

i cant be specific but i opened it up , checked it out, then never bothered to look at it again! horrid. i dont know if theyve changed it lately.

id only bother if they offered proper hd cross platform versions.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

twmedford23

Mar 25 2013, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 10 (566 views)
Shortcut
Terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture quality in HD was pretty good but the video stutter was horrible. In many scenes featuring a camera pan, it was not smooth at all. I preorderd the blu ray/dvd combo at Walmart just to be able to watch it early but that will be the last time. In Walmart's defense though, I received the actually discs in the mail a few days early so that was a plus.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 11:01pm

Post #4 of 10 (499 views)
Shortcut
I just bought a Blu-ray drive for my laptop. [In reply to] Can't Post

I carry it in my laptop case, and it works beautifully without being too clunky or heavy. And I can leave it when I don't need it.

I like to watch movies on my iPad, but if it doesn't run through iTunes, it doesn't work that well. Plus, when I put it on the iPad, it eats up space, so I usually end up streaming. Ultraviolet has never been that great for that, though.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 11:52pm

Post #5 of 10 (459 views)
Shortcut
I've watched a bunch of on Amazon Instant [In reply to] Can't Post

on an iPad, and it worked just fine and looked great.

And as for the UV copy, i tried for an hour to get it to work on my PS3 (through Vudu) just to check it out (i'd never used a digital copy), and could not get it to work. I eventually gave up and just put the blu-ray in (which, btw, is the best looking blu-ray i've ever seen).

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 12:11am

Post #6 of 10 (453 views)
Shortcut
Netflix and Amazon both are great on iPad [In reply to] Can't Post

They have nice apps, and Netflix in particular is great for TV shows (all those British ones I don't get to see stateside).

Yes, this Blu-ray is as good as the HFR transfer in the theatre! The Erebor scenes alone make it worth it.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 26 2013, 12:21am

Post #7 of 10 (480 views)
Shortcut
Not good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just downloaded my UV version of AUJ to my PC, and was disappointed. First I had to download a program called Flixster, and when I finally got AUJ to download to that (took about an hour), the quality was terrible, with obvious pixelation and no choices on viewing quality. It is easier to just pop the DVD in and watch it that way. Much better quality.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Tintallė
Gondor

Mar 26 2013, 12:24am

Post #8 of 10 (479 views)
Shortcut
Horrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will not watch the ultraviolet version again. It is beyond bad!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 12:37am

Post #9 of 10 (457 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Erebor looks much better on the blu-ray. [In reply to] Can't Post

we were talking about this on another thread, but the judder that was so bad in the theater at 24fps is virtually gone on the blu-ray. I was surprised at how much better it looked.

sheriffharry

Mar 26 2013, 12:50am

Post #10 of 10 (457 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit/UV on Android... [In reply to] Can't Post

All I get on my Android device on the Flixster/UV app is:
"Content can't be played because of security reason."
And, of course, my copy is 100% legit...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.