Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I love clueless customer service reps!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2013, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 12 (734 views)
Shortcut
I love clueless customer service reps! Can't Post

Following up on the saga of trying to get Amazon.com to email the sneak peek codes. The story so far was that Amazon.uk apparently did mail codes with pre-orders, but Amazon.com did not. I emailed Amazon.com last week, right after they emailed to say my order was shipped (it should arrive later this week), and asked about the possibility of having the code emailed, and pointing out that it was a time-sensitive issue (i.e., I needed it by yesterday). Last night, they emailed to let me know they were still working on it with all due diligence. I replied (politely, I add!) and said there was no point now, as the live event was over, and they should just cancel my enquiry. This morning, I get another email from them, as follows:

Hello,

I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the incorrect information you received.

I've confirmed that your order didn't meet all of the qualifications for receiving this promotional offer. Specifically, the codes doesn't work outside the U.S.. [But it does, you clueless person!]

To compensate for any inconvenience, I've made an exception to our standard procedure.

I've requested a refund for $32.97, which includes the cost of the item, its associated shipping costs, and the import fee deposit (if any). This refund will go through within the next 3-5 business days and will appear as a credit on your billing statement.

The refund will be issued in your local currency and calculated at the same rate used when you placed the order.

Because the cost of returning this item would be prohibitively expensive, there's no need to return it when it arrives. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of the item--whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you.

I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

ROFL! I get the whole thing for free!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
After all the aggravation and heartbreak............... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

ROFL! I get the whole thing for free!

................You at the very least deserve it free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (339 views)
Shortcut
The problem is .... [In reply to] Can't Post

The very bottom level customer service people that receive these e-mails aren't going to know about the promotion (and why should they, it's not their job to know!)

At least you got it free. And you saw the preview as well. So all's well that ends well.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 9:01pm

Post #4 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
That worked out well! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed a lot of companies do that now - if something breaks or is defective, they don't even want you to bother shipping it back, they just send you a credit.

Unfortunately I didn't receive mine from Amazon until today so I also missed the live event.

Gee, maybe I should contact them and complain about it EvilWink.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 9:33pm

Post #5 of 12 (270 views)
Shortcut
imax 3d hfr [In reply to] Can't Post

i managed to get a free cinema ticket when i tried to cancel my TABA cinema tickets becuase they wernt showing hfr. becuase i was really angry i emailed them first, then i phoned them , so in the end i got a free ticket from the email, and another one from the phonecall plus i got to keep my original cinema ticket!

ha

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

twmedford23

Mar 25 2013, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 12 (268 views)
Shortcut
Why are you complaining? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure they messed up but they went above and beyond to correct the problem. You got a movie for free. Instead of complaining about them in a post, you should be praising them. Just saying.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 12 (261 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how much praise is justifed here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sure they messed up but they went above and beyond to correct the problem. You got a movie for free. Instead of complaining about them in a post, you should be praising them. Just saying.

Considering that there was much time and heartache invested and many miscommunications in the above story (saga?). Some ironic venting I think is MORE than warranted. Wink

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 10:17pm

Post #8 of 12 (227 views)
Shortcut
I think companies are wary of bad online reviews. [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone emails them, then it's likely they're internet savvy and might just go post on any number of sites where a bad review lives forever - even when it contains info that is not true.

So I think it's just easier and more productive to grease the squeaky wheel than to determine if the squeak is caused by anything you're responsible for.

I consider any productive response from customer service a plus.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 25 2013, 10:17pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2013, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 12 (221 views)
Shortcut
Not complaining. [In reply to] Can't Post

More like rolling eyes.

I'm thrilled to get this for free, but I don't think I deserve such, and it's certainly not what I was after.

My real point is that their customer service could not properly respond to my original query and request. I did my best to explain the situation, including giving a link to the sneak peek website and explaining it needed to be resolved by yesterday, and the responses I got were never really relevant. I would have been perfectly happy with a satisfactory and timely response to my question ("Can you email me the code?"), whether it was yea or nay. I wish customer service reps at big corporations like this could be better trained so that they make sure they understand what the question/problem is.

I did get to see the sneak peek, thanks to the extreme generosity of one particular TORnsibbie, so everything worked out just fine.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 12:52pm

Post #10 of 12 (121 views)
Shortcut
The one thing I'm confused about here [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Amazon.com weren't supposed to be emailing codes as far as I know. The US release got the code inside the DVD/blu-ray pack itself.

The only reason Amazon.co.uk (and other sites) emailed a code out was because the live stream was after the date of release in those countries, so it was a way to make sure as many countries as possible got to be part of it. In most countires Amazon did it as a retailer exclusive, which is why I can understand how Amazon may have become synonymous with 'emailing the sneak peek code', even in the US.

Apologies if I have misunderstood though, and you're right in requesting a straight answer - if I am right then I can see their confusion at being requested the code but you are correct in that they should have said "No, this is nothing to do with us, we're not emailing the codes out".

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 26 2013, 3:28pm

Post #11 of 12 (104 views)
Shortcut
"I love clueless customer service reps" [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, isn't "clueless" one of the requirements for the position of customer service rep, no matter what the job? (To me it goes hand in hand with the "brainless" requirement for the position of CEO of said jobs.) Wink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:19pm

Post #12 of 12 (105 views)
Shortcut
and there was great rejoicing!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just managed to not put the live event on my calendar... derp.

I had an issue with a Thorin' Company T-shirt I ordered; it arrived with a large blot in the middle of Thorin's face. I emailed the company, they replied promtly and said, instead of returning the item (a pain for all) send a pic of the issue.

Simple! Sent pic. Got new T-shirt in great shape. Presumably they fixed the printer problem that was mauling dwarf faces. I fixed the damaged shirt with some paint, and now have one for grungy use.

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.