Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone else think Thranduil sass will be one of the great things about DoS?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

marcuspaine
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 6:55pm

Post #1 of 67 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else think Thranduil sass will be one of the great things about DoS? Can't Post

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...00V1rj50qfo1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/...00V1rj50qfo3_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/...WtX1r13d21o3_400.png

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 6:56pm

Post #2 of 67 (2088 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what sass means... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I'm certanly looking forward to Thranduil and the Mirkwood elves

Spaldron
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 67 (2073 views)
Shortcut
I think that last one is a joke meme [In reply to] Can't Post

It means he has "sass". You know sassy like like everyone was in the 70's.

I don't know what sass means...

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 7:08pm

Post #4 of 67 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Yip, visually Thranduil is awesome, very Tolkien IMO, pagan looking, fey, tall and strong. [In reply to] Can't Post

They will show him dealing to some orcs I am sure.
His sword looks good too, hope they do a repro of that.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:12pm

Post #5 of 67 (2119 views)
Shortcut
And now we know why Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

has such perfect posture! He seems to spend more than a little time "on the carpet" before his father/king, poor lad.Wink

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 67 (2007 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he said Thranduil's ass Wink

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 7:18pm

Post #7 of 67 (2074 views)
Shortcut
would love to see [In reply to] Can't Post

would love to see thranduil give thorin a hard time about possessing orcrist.

that would be a nice contrast with how gracious elrond was.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:28pm

Post #8 of 67 (2009 views)
Shortcut
He will [In reply to] Can't Post

and in effect steal it from the confiscated Dwarf gear and give to Legolas after the Company escapes. Not so sure if I'm looking forward to this guy to be honest. All the indications are that I probably won't like him much. We'll see, I guess

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 67 (1995 views)
Shortcut
i'm not sure how far [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm not sure how far they'll push the sympathy for thranduil, but they'll have to muddy the waters some, to methinks. the conflict will be more compelling if the dwarves don't have a monopoly on a just cause, and it will also give bilbo room to manuever. if bilbo us sympathetic to the elves during th:dos and th:bofa, he'll have to have good reason, otherwise viewers would just find his actions despicable.

much looking forward to it all.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 7:45pm

Post #10 of 67 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Sass = cheek, back talk, lip, smack talk, chirp, [In reply to] Can't Post

In the context of the meme I guess it means 'tude or attitude.

Don't give me no sass = that's enough out of you = you shut your mouth when you're talking to me.

Crazy

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 7:50pm

Post #11 of 67 (1895 views)
Shortcut
and, how could I forget: "badassery" // [In reply to] Can't Post

marcuspaine
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 8:15pm

Post #12 of 67 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Love how Thranduil just walks away from Legolas and starts swinging his sword, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...xjY1rygr7yo5_400.gif

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 8:50pm

Post #13 of 67 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Love this - totally owning the sass here [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah Cool. Thanks for posting this one - I think this about says it all regarding Thranduil's character. It's going to be great. *but* I just hope he's not too hard on Legolas, hope they don't overdo it to the point where we end up with a bunch of "Legolas has daddy issues" memes afterwards.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 9:04pm

Post #14 of 67 (1876 views)
Shortcut
That bit worries me [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never comfortable with Bilbo's actions with regard to the Arkenstone. And his bias toward Elves.... well, I didn't like that much either, even when I was younger. Tolkien sometimes falls into talking down to me in the book, which is something I never appreciate as a reader. I like to draw my own conclusions, while the author should just concentrate on telling a good story.

Hopefully Jackson can get through this business without making all the parties involved look bad. None of them cover themselves with glory in the book. Even Gandalf is disappointing in the way he handles things. I hope whatever changes PJ makes are for the better...

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 9:28pm

Post #15 of 67 (1839 views)
Shortcut
ah, a kindred spirit [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, was always uncomfortable that bilbo gave the arkenstone away. and poor thorin searching for it even as bilbo knew it was down in dale. however, i'm not sure what else he could have done to avert bloodshed. i believe i can remember my very first reading of the hobbit, having a sympathetic reaction to thorin when he found out, and started tearing into bilbo.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 10:11pm

Post #16 of 67 (1784 views)
Shortcut
It's tricky... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the one hand I understand what Bilbo was trying to do, but on the other hand Thorin showed him great friendship and kindness. Personally, I am loyal to my friends even if they are behaving badly. All I can say is that I myself would not have betrayed Thorin. Not for any reason. And certainly not for the sake of Elves or Men. Unimpressed Bilbo's actions will probably always be a matter for debate, but in the end all the drama was moot due to the coming of the Goblins.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 10:16pm

Post #17 of 67 (1792 views)
Shortcut
There is an argument for the Arkenstone give away = road to hell is paved with good intentions [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as the elves are concerned their presence as an army at Erebor seemed wrong, if they were there to help the Laketown people with genuine aid, fair enough, but as assailants to the rightfull owners of the mountain, it was confusing to say the least. Thranduils comments about tarrying before going war over treasure seems at odds with his army being there. He should have with elven wisdom counselled Bard to remove all his people from the mountain and approach the dwarves in a more peacefull manner at a more appropriate time. The men and elves approached Erebor thinking the dwarves dead, when they realised they were not they should have shown the dwarves a great deal more respect and compassion as they were a people long disinherited of their home, and just recently back in possesion of it after facing a great deal of danger.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Mar 25 2013, 10:20pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 10:47pm

Post #18 of 67 (1796 views)
Shortcut
I already loathe him [In reply to] Can't Post

but...talking character. Lee Pace is doing a great job of making him so damn awful. I never liked Thranduil or any of the Elves to begin with so...

I like the conflict with Orcrist. That's a wonderful idea and adds more to the dislike between both races.

Though I sincerely doubt Thorin will wield Deathless again, it would thrill me to no end if he got his wonderful Dwarven sword back.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 11:05pm

Post #19 of 67 (1748 views)
Shortcut
I love this, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like, "Hey, kid, we may look the same age, but don't think for a minute you are my equal."

Does make one wonder how Legolas ended up as such a nice, respectful person, with a dad like that.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 11:11pm

Post #20 of 67 (1770 views)
Shortcut
I think Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

will be the best thing in the films full stop. what with his sass and his lolling about on thrones and being all fabulous.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 11:15pm

Post #21 of 67 (1716 views)
Shortcut
What is "Deathless" [In reply to] Can't Post

is that one of Orcrist's names on the runes of the movie sword?

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 11:21pm

Post #22 of 67 (1716 views)
Shortcut
I wondered how he would handle this. [In reply to] Can't Post

One moment in the movie kind of stood out for me, when they arrive at the ruin of the farmer's house. Gandalf says that they should go to Rivendell for help, and Thorin rants away about how the elves didn't help them at Erebor. Gandalf's reaction is telling: he doesn't say anything, just kind of gets this chagrined look, like he knows the elves were jerks in that regard. You would think he might try to differentiate between Thranduil and Elrond.

In the book, there isn't really any explanation for why certain characters act the way they do--they just do it. In the movie, PJ oftentimes clears that up (particularly with Thorin), but Gandalf's reaction to me was very reminiscent of the way character reaction is sometime missing or deliberately ignored (because it wasn't really needed to advance the story). The entire Arkenstone saga in the book was one of those moments for me--more like a deux ex machina to get one character away from another, or to set up the initial conflict between Laketown and the dwarves; there was no real need to make it too clear why it was done, it just needed to happen. I do hope PJ fleshes this out a bit more; indeed, the discussion up to now about the Arkenstone has centered around Thror's love for it. Thorin hasn't mentioned it specifically at all, just talks about the wealth of Erebor in general. So maybe there will be something in DoS where he talks to Bilbo about why it's important to him (or maybe Thranduil will say something about that "gaudy stone your grandfather used to throw in my face" when he captures him). But I would hope it would make their actions more meaningful and understandable than in the book.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 11:35pm

Post #23 of 67 (1687 views)
Shortcut
i wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

"On the one hand I understand what Bilbo was trying to do, but on the other hand Thorin showed him great friendship and kindness. Personally, I am loyal to my friends even if they are behaving badly. All I can say is that I myself would not have betrayed Thorin. Not for any reason. And certainly not for the sake of Elves or Men. Bilbo's actions will probably always be a matter for debate, but in the end all the drama was moot due to the coming of the Goblins. "

i wonder.... let's say the orc army didn't arrive. bilbo's plan was that the arkenstone would become a bargaining chip for bard.

with thranduil around, i'm not sure that plan would have ended happily. he loved, loved, loved gems. rare gems. white gems. whoa -- arkenstone. that would be nice to add to the collection.

even if thranduil restrained himself, even if the orcs never showed up, would the dwarves really barter for an heirloom stolen (by their own burgler, no less) from them? i can easily see them flinging patience and caution to the winds and just going on a tear to retrieve the arkenstone and to beat the crap out of anyone who thought it might be kept from them.

so, although bilbo had good intentions, i'm thinking he might have inflamed the situation +and+ perhaps set it towards a horrible turning.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 11:38pm

Post #24 of 67 (1707 views)
Shortcut
deathless [In reply to] Can't Post

What is "Deathless" -
is that one of Orcrist's names on the runes of the movie sword?

i believe "deathless" is the name of thorin's sword, the sword he carried before he took up orcrist.

boy, deathless was probably really miffed. it's a dwarven sword, and it got shunted aside for a blade made by --- elves.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 11:40pm

Post #25 of 67 (1685 views)
Shortcut
Not Orcrist no [In reply to] Can't Post

according to the Hobbit AUJ Chrinicles Art & Design book, "Deathless" is Thorin's dwarven sword which he loses in the Battle at Moria. I love that sword even more now that I know it was named.

Macileil is right.

I know it won't happen, but I would love to see Thorin wield "Deathless" again.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

(This post was edited by ByThorinsBeard on Mar 25 2013, 11:44pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.