Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Official *SPOILERS* for DOS Sneak Peek
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 5:06am

Post #76 of 105 (972 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one who sees a touch of David Bowie's Elfin goblin King in this sprawl? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well seeing it I am . . . and it is all kinds of awesome.

In Reply To
http://thorinissomajestic.tumblr.com/post/46195392721/mardukthalia-basically-the-movie

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 5:15am

Post #77 of 105 (967 views)
Shortcut
Ahh! Whooah Hooooooa! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you did there! Unimpressed Blush Laugh

In Reply To
to find the decorating potential in shed megaloceros antlers! I suspect those pointy bits could be put to ALL sorts of uses.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 5:24am

Post #78 of 105 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's bitterness, over the Dragon, Thror's might, all the way back to the flight of hisLothlorien kin from The Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

I have said before, this could be the place where lots of old grievances and a few nods come in. Thranduil has plenty of reason to be concerned about Dwarves and Dragons, especially those of Durin's line. Twas Durin who released a Balrog in Moria, the evil presence of whom led whole legions of Thranduil's kin in Lothlorien to flight (and some of them came to a bad end). Long after, but not so long as for an Elf to have forgotten Moria, Thror becomes his rival as the dominant power in the north of Rhovanion (Thranduil would have been king for about 2,700 years or so at that point, having taken the throne after his father fell in The Battle of The Last Allaince). Then Thror's hoarding draws the greatest dragon of the Age, just as Durin's delving released the most fell Power of The Third Age aside from Sauron himself.

In Reply To
Not that we'll see any long-ago backstory for Thranduil, but...he's been the king in his realm for a really long time, right? Not sure we have actual dates in the books, but surely a couple thousand years is possible. The Kingdom Under the Mountain isn't that old...so Thranduil was there first. Begs the question: why did Thranduil have to pay homage to Thror? He clearly resented it (just from the little we've seen in AUJ, and now even more clearly after what we've seen today), so why did he have to? He must have a massive grudge against Thror and the rest of the line of Durin, which I think is all going to come out here in the nose-to-nose face-off between him and Thorin.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 8:10am

Post #79 of 105 (893 views)
Shortcut
I hope he had his tetanus injection! / [In reply to] Can't Post

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 8:37am

Post #80 of 105 (886 views)
Shortcut
That's what I was thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I noticed that Kili's wound thing. And considering they are still in their wet long johns, I would figure this is on the way to laketown too.

I also thought of one of the vlogs-the location shooting one (vlog 6 I think) and I remember the shots where they come out of the river, and they filmed a brief second where Fili and Kili seem to startle at something and grab rocks as though they are going to chuck them.

I wonder if said "scratch" means that they ran into trouble with orcs when they got out of the river and Bard rescues them maybe?

It reminded me of that scene in the vlog too, where Kili and Fili seem startled and start grabbing rocks.

So maybe Bard rescues them or they just run into soon after the attack and hitch a ride, but as you say seems more likely Bard starts shooting and helps them get away.

Either way I liked Bilbo's concern, it was kind of sweet in his grumpy-Hobbit way. :)

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 8:49am

Post #81 of 105 (878 views)
Shortcut
Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing spoilerish here, but I've noticed how he pronounces some names, such as Azog (Eizog). Crazy

(This post was edited by Lost Hobbit on Mar 25 2013, 8:52am)

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 11:09am

Post #82 of 105 (821 views)
Shortcut
As long as they pronounce the names correctly in the actual movie(s), I'm OK with it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

iduna
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 12:23pm

Post #83 of 105 (796 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of nose-to-nose... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the elves of Mirkwood shorter than the elves of Rivendell? I couldn't help but notice that Thranduil is not that much taller than Thorin.

In Rivendell, Thorin came up to about waist- or chest-height on Elrond. But he comes up to Thranduil's collar-bone, at least.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:29pm

Post #84 of 105 (786 views)
Shortcut
Looks like they were just rehearsing [In reply to] Can't Post

In the other bits with the elves they used scale doubles for the dwarves.

iduna
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 12:44pm

Post #85 of 105 (761 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, that makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess maybe they'll use a box or something when it comes to that scene.

Gandy
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 1:32pm

Post #86 of 105 (746 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else wished they had shown Bolg? Could have helped put some concerns to rest. Or start new onesWink
I'm in the "Azog is too WWE wrestler" camp. Wished they shown a glimpse of Bolg's glorious orange (?) beard so we know he hasn't
been left to the join nameless casualty of war flashbacks club.

I didn't see the sneak peak. I thought it was an all day access anytime showing. Unsure

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 2:57pm

Post #87 of 105 (678 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering about that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be an interesting time to get rid of Azog. Or have him and his warg be the ones that Beorn gets information out of and then kills. But then Thorin wouldn't get to kill him, hard to say how that would work out.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 2:59pm

Post #88 of 105 (683 views)
Shortcut
No, no you are not... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. and yes it is.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 3:43pm

Post #89 of 105 (678 views)
Shortcut
it was a let down [In reply to] Can't Post

so glad I didnt actually buy anything.

why is Thranduil the same height as Thorin?
why is it 99% greenscreen?
why does Tauriel have cheesy 2nd rate dialogue?
why does it not feel like Tolkien any more?
why are the Dwarves in a boat with Bard?

so many questions, so much disappointment.

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 25 2013, 4:27pm

Post #90 of 105 (640 views)
Shortcut
I believe PJ said they were on the boat because they were travelling between Laketown/Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 4:33pm

Post #91 of 105 (641 views)
Shortcut
Eh [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Clearly this is just them rehearsing a scene. In all the others shots the dwarves are tiny compared to the elves.

2. Because it's hard to create a whole magical forest and ungerground kingdom without using CGI. There's plenty of big sets and on location shooting.

5. Apparently Bard will find them in the barrels and bring them to Laketown? Is this such a huge issue?

(This post was edited by Carne on Mar 25 2013, 4:34pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 4:38pm

Post #92 of 105 (635 views)
Shortcut
You weren't bothered about seeing it anyway. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, it was a bonus you saw anything at all.

Smile

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 4:58pm

Post #93 of 105 (644 views)
Shortcut
In the brief shot I got to see I noticed this too [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond seemed to tower over Thorin, but not so Thranduil. Actually it would be nice to see some variations in the elves, like PJ varied the dwarves. It makes sense that there can be general physical characteristics, such as being fairly tall, but that doesn't mean that all elves absolutely must be of a certain height. I like the differences that PJ has introduced, making the different peoples individuals and not just cookie-cutter characters.

Either that or they got Thorin a box. Wink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2013, 5:06pm

Post #94 of 105 (633 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo fussing over Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Kili has a line there, he says it's just a scratch. It went by so fast it was hard to tell, but it's possible Kili hadn't told anyone about it, in the low in the boat shot, after Bilbo says it he quickly looks at Fili almost apologetically. On the other hand, Fili doesn't seem to really react much so maybe either he knew and was in on it(I can see Kili getting him to not say anything because of Thorin or something), or he didn't need to react much because well...he didn't need, they are so close it wouldn't have been necessary for him to do more than look at Kili for him to know Fili was thinking. (LOL Kili must have been impossible to stay mad at as a kid, because even as a young adult, he's got the puppy dogs eyes down perfectly)

I was pleased to see this bit, because I really, really want Bilbo to develop a special bond with the young brothers as he seems to in the book. Fussing over Kili seems to indicate that he does have that close relationship by this point, because I can't see him fussing over another dwarf he's not as close to, such as, say, Nori. And of course Fili already knew about the cut! He probably already bandaged it for his baby brother! Evil

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

imin
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 5:08pm

Post #95 of 105 (625 views)
Shortcut
How tall is Thorin meant to be in AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

about 5 foot tall? That would make Thranduil about 5'4'' going off the clip? Though i think like a few others, it was just like that because they were rehearsing.

I think variation is good and their was clearly variation in heights of elves in Tolkien's texts. But i wouldn't like an elf to be just over 5 foot as that is not what they are like, (would be like having a 6 foot dwarf, lol) the elves are meant to be 6 foot plus, that means anything up so a 7 foot elf would be ok, though obviously very tall. It shows the physical differences between the races as well, rather than them all merging into human.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 5:48pm

Post #96 of 105 (615 views)
Shortcut
According to Weta's height chart [In reply to] Can't Post

from Empire Magazine, he's 5'10.5".

I don't understand why people are upset about this Thorin/Thranduil height thing. As this Preview made so incredibly obvious, the film is not close to being finished. They could have been rehearsing, Thorin could've been standing on something, who knows. I'm pretty sure the production would not allow a scaling mistake that glaring slip through.

iduna
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:32pm

Post #97 of 105 (604 views)
Shortcut
The Thorin/Thranduil height thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...doesn't bother me. I'm not upset. I just noticed it that the difference in their heights wasn't that great, and that seemed to deserve some sort of explanation.

If they were just rehearsing, I'll accept that. If there's some difference between the heights of Mirkwood elves and Rivendell elves, I'd buy that explanation too. I don't really care, as long as there's some evidence that someone has thought of a reason for it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 7:42pm

Post #98 of 105 (580 views)
Shortcut
I was more referring to those who [In reply to] Can't Post

were VERY upset about that shot, and about the video in general. The same people who think DoS is "ruined" because of that one Tauriel line. That Thorin/Thranduil shot is worthy of comment; it is not worthy of hysterics.

iduna
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:44pm

Post #99 of 105 (564 views)
Shortcut
Oh, okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

aifeme
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:45pm

Post #100 of 105 (596 views)
Shortcut
It's on torrent sites already... [In reply to] Can't Post

And since I've watched only half of it yesterday...Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.